Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lesser known brand boots

+13
jstava
madmax
Chook
truck
reddog
Kiwisteve
Re-Cycled
Dekenai
mtbeerwah
2wheelsagain
Bosco15
Chalkie
Ironman
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

lesser known brand boots - Page 2 Empty lesser known brand boots

Post  Ironman Sat 10 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

bought a new pair of boots back in feb this year. I kept them for when I do track days and the drags so they havent had alot of use. if you include today ive used them 4 times. I have to say that describing them as shit would be fair.
the calf support adjusting ratchet straps have fallen apart. they squeak as all the plastic flexes, and on the bike they do not give you any real feel or feedback as to whether or not ypu are on the lever resulting in missed shifts and my foot slipping off the brake lever as it did today. now they feel floppy and I may as well as wear gumboots... feels the same.
I asked the manufacturer / seller if I can get the adjusters repaired or replace the boots I was quickly told that they only carry a 3 month warranty. Evil or Very Mad
my alpine stars smx5 boots are 7 years old shortly and apart from some minor cracking on the shift lever pad and ive worn to soles down a fair bit they could go for another year. these boots have been soaked with water when caught in the rain, baked in the hot sun, worn heaps during their current service life and they crap all over this other brand even in the conditon they are in now.

in short buy the known good stuff. alpine stars, berik etc... check the warranty length and conditions.
buy cheap.... buy twice. after the price is paid all that remains is the quality.

ill never ever buy this other brand again..... ever.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

lesser known brand boots - Page 2 Empty Re: lesser known brand boots

Post  madmax Sun 11 Dec 2016, 6:47 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:These days I'll only ever use Alpinestars. They last and last.

Good to know, although a mate of mine did break a zip in a pair of their boots. I'm going to put it down as his fault

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 12 Dec 2016, 7:13 am

I've worn Sidis my whole life...just recently moved to Daytona...expensive but I believe their reputation for protection, comfort and quality is (so far), well justified. 

BTW, you order your shoe size.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 12 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

madmax wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:These days I'll only ever use Alpinestars. They last and last.

Good to know, although a mate of mine did break a zip in a pair of their boots. I'm going to put it down as his fault

The only problem I've had with my 2 pairs of Rossis in well over 20 years, this year I had to get one of the zip sliders replaced, less than $20
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:19 pm

Chook wrote:
madmax wrote:

The only problem I've had with my 2 pairs of Rossis in well over 20 years, this year I had to get one of the zip sliders replaced, less than $20

Did you have to send them back to Rossi for that?

I know of a couple of people who have sent theirs back to Rossi to be re-soled for another run.

Looking at their web site there's nothing under "Motorcycle Boots" I hope this doesn't mean they're not making them anymore. Shocked

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:00 pm

A local boot repairer did it, dropped them off one day, picked them up the next, he'll resole them for me if they are still in good nick when the soles are gone
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Wed 28 Dec 2016, 9:54 am

mtbeerwah wrote:I`ve never owned a pair of riding boots.

I`ve only ever worn steel capped work boots, weld burns and all. I can`t see me ever owning a pair either.
I only get 2yrs out of them, sometimes less, but that's wearing them day in day out.

I must say, I also get 2 years out of my work boots. They get a mid life major service, (new laces & inners), & a few more pair of inners during their life. I always used to use them for riding too, but bought a pair of short summer bike boots. Now I find that the steel cap toe gets in the way for changing gears!

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Chalkie Wed 28 Dec 2016, 10:08 am

I wear Rossi work boots too but have wanted more protection mid calf in case I came down to greet the gravel. Tried lots of brands but the only ones my 4e feet could fit into were Johnny Rebs. Just bought them this morning for $200 on special.
Chalkie
Chalkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Thu 29 Dec 2016, 5:28 pm

Well I received my Berik boots the other day. Look the goods. Here's hoping they hold up waaaaaaaaay better than the others did.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:22 pm

Background story:

I'm doing up an old 96 KLX 650 and need to buy MX boots for off road but I also need a pair of boots for when I am riding the Bandit on road.
Can I / is it uncool to ride a road bike with MX boots?

Positive - they would offer better protection all round.
Negative - ride feel might not be the best.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 26 Jul 2018, 11:30 pm

Have a look at gaerne adventure boots. I've got Sidis which are falling apart, I wouldn't rate them . Alpine stars are on the horizon .
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Mon 06 Aug 2018, 12:33 am

Funny story, because I'm so tight, I ended up buying a second hand pair of these boots. Might be a half size too small but if I get a year out of them I'll be happy.
The leather was schmick, but the soles were pretty worn - something I found out when I got the boots home and tried walking in them - Live and Learn.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 06 Aug 2018, 9:01 am

truck wrote:Funny story, because I'm so tight, I ended up buying a second hand pair of these boots. Might be a half size too small but if I get a year out of them I'll be happy.
The leather was schmick, but the soles were pretty worn - something I found out when I got the boots home and tried walking in them - Live and Learn.

You might be able to get them re-soled

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 06 Aug 2018, 5:49 pm

Hope they were cheap , otherwise it could turn out to be false economy. Question

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Tue 07 Aug 2018, 6:46 am

madmax wrote:
truck wrote:Funny story, because I'm so tight, I ended up buying a second hand pair of these boots. Might be a half size too small but if I get a year out of them I'll be happy.

You might be able to get them re-soled

paul wrote:Hope they were cheap , otherwise it could turn out to be false economy. Question

I had heard about the possibility of getting them resoled but I'm not a great researcher and I think I paid too much for them - $120 which included a pair of dri rider gloves which are in very good nick.
Next time, I'm buying new.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:03 pm

I'm on my second pair of Rossi 801s, last pair, 12 years, this pair is 11 or 12 years old, they stopped making them about a year ago, thinking I might get them re soled soon before I (as good as they are) down grade to a pair of Alpinestars
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 07 Aug 2018, 1:55 pm

Chook wrote:
I'm on my second pair of Rossi 801s, last pair, 12 years, this pair is 11 or 12 years old, they stopped making them about a year ago, thinking I might get them re soled soon before I (as good as they are) down grade to a pair of Alpinestars

Ouch!!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 07 Aug 2018, 2:26 pm

Not really mm, Alpinestars are a very good well made boot, I just think there was nothing available on the market that came close to the Rossi's, its just a pity more Aussies didn't recognise their quality, they might still be available if they did.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 14 Mar 2019, 9:44 pm

Chook wrote:

I just noticed the typo above, they are Rossi 811 Vision

Friday last week I finally dropped them off to Ideal Shoe Repairs in Hutt St Adelaide, first I picked up new genuine Rossi  soles at their factory (near home), $30, I dropped the boots and soles into Ideals and was told Friday next week, about $50-$55 a boot

I got a call this afternoon while I was in the city working so ducked around and picked them up, fantastic job, like new again, beast news, only $80, so for $110 I've got a whole new lease of life out of awesome boots that aren't available anymore, I also found the original purchase invoice, $389 on 21/09/2005, nearly 14 years and the tops are comfortably worn in but as good as new, the right sole was completely bare and I could feel every stone when I walked.

If anyone needs any motorcycle gear fixed, boots, gloves, leathers, soft luggage, fabric jackets etc etc, these guys are brilliant and not expensive

https://www.facebook.com/IdealShoeRepairs/
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:32 pm

I had my old Rossi's resoled once.................... good boots

paul
paul

Meatbix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 20 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

Shopping around last week at a couple of Motorcycle accessory shops in Melbourne. My better half wears a pair of Forma adventure boots and swears by them.
So I tried a pair of their mid height boots on lesser known brand boots - Page 2 3407108393 All I can say is they would have to be the most uncomfortable boots I've ever worn. Stiff and hard! (go on I know you want to Laughing ) The salesman was there telling me "Oh they'll be right after you break them in a bit" Yeah nah! I've haven't needed to break in a pair of boots for years, even steel cap work boots.

Then went to MCA and tried on some more boots there. Tried a couple of pairs of Dainese boots but found them narrow for my feet. Then tried on a pair of Alpinestars  Smile Was like slipping into your favourite slippers or an old pair of boots you've had for years. These boots just fit my fat feet perfectly Very Happy Looks like it will be Alpinestars once again.

I think it's a bit like helmets, buy quality but also what fits you best.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sat 01 Jun 2019, 11:19 pm

Well I've had a few pairs of boots, and there are probably more pairs than I could wear out in the rest of my life if I wore them out one pair after another.   

A really good boot should be good for motorcycle use.  A really good road boot should be fine for walking around in.   I'm fairly hard on boots and nearly live in them.  They have got to do double duty.  Motorcycle boots fare worse as my GP boots for GP applications then my GP boots do for motorcycling.  

Noteable boots in my history:  

Blundstone lace-ups with a screwed on sole - I must've worn these for 15 years for everything from bushwalking to motorcycling.  They were a budget boot with a sewn together body and unlined.  Initially a little stiff, I left them overnight 2/3 full of neatsfoot oil, and they were like kid leather thereafter, but wore like iron.  It did take months before my feet would come out of them feeling like anything other than baby's feet.  I looked for them come replacement time, but the soles were all moulded on in later versions.  Never got around to replacing them.  

My current favourite pair is a pair of Taipan steel cap "Tactical Boots" yeah right.  Hey they were the first pair of boots that were instantly comfortable, and more so with my favourite inner sole.  Mine must be 15 + years old now.  Every stitch is intact - lots of triple stitched seams.  the steel caps are due to emerge sometime in the next year.  I'll probably call it some time after on them.  Gee they've been good.  Great grip, wear and feel through the sole and you wouldn't know that they've got steel caps in them.  They are fine to ride in with no problem at all with shift lever feel, as can be the case.  I've got a pair of Magnums which are similar, but are too bulky to ride in 

I recently decided to get the replacement for the Taipans, got on to a supplier and ordered a pair.  The site had them listed for mid $200s but also had them "on sale" for $68.  I bit.  What I got for my $68 was more like the old Blundstones, but probably worse,  insofar as the leather quality is concerned. - very stiff, and noticeably inconsistent in thickness and pliability of the panels.  Painful to wear at first.  I haven't resorted to the neatsfoot oil trick, yet.  They look good but are rough and coarse.  I am guessing they are "seconds".  I certainly would hope so, considering the "non-sale items"  could also be ordered at full price.  These boots will last forever, but will I ever break them in?  

I'm not a large fan of Dry-Riders, I have a pair which is coming to the end of their life.  They WERE waterproof, but are cursed with a moulded-on sole which is a little thin in my view, not as stiff as I would like it to be and is of course unrepairable when the upper eventually separates from the sole.  Never mind, they have given me a reasonable run, though are very  hot when it is hot and are getting very tatty in the velcro closure - I need to glue it down or replace it.  They were very comfortable from new.  This is one pair of boots all parts of which appear to be hitting the end of their serviceable life at the same time.  How unusual.  All told, these Dri-Rider waterproof boots have given me a good run for the money.  They are still "not too bad" when it is wet.  The soles are getting slippery with wear.  A little more heel would be nice.  I'd buy them again. 

I had a pair of Timberland GP lace-ups.  Very comfortable from day one.  Great feel on the motorcycle, but the soles, while heavily barred in a classic pattern could be slippery on some wet surfaces, and were no good at all on snow or ice.  They didn't last.  The leather just wasn't as tough as I would have expected and I simply wore through it in several places.   More a "fashion boot" I think.  Meh, they cost me next to nothing. I bought them second-hand in a cashed up town.  They were slightly cement stained and looked like the person had bought them to just do the one job then put them in Vinnies - that's very likely, actually. I did get 5 or 6 good years out of them though.  I wouldn't buy another pair because of the soles. They need to have better grip.  

Taipans have plenty of breadth in the wide part of the front of the boot = no squished toes. Much initial comfort.   The Dri-Riders fit like a glove.  The Timberlands were a little narrow in the front of the boot, looser at the back - a little odd, I thought, but considering the pliability of the leather, this wasn't a big issue, apart from wear inside the heel - rub potential, hard on socks, because the heel was a little too roomy  for my heel, which would move up and down slightly when walking.  They were quite comfy though. 

My take

Back to top Go down

lesser known brand boots - Page 2 Empty Warranty

Post  jaba01 Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:04 pm

Remember that the Consumer Guarantees Act puts a little bit more clarity on importers & manufacturers in regards to ensure their product is of a good standard. Don't just accept its out of a 3 mth warranty.......... it has to be durable and of acceptable quality. Just ask several of the car importers how they got on by not standing by their products!

https://www.avw.com.au/images/techpapers/consumerguarantees.pdf
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 12 Jan 2020, 7:16 am

I bought a pair of tennis shoes once and wore a hole in the toe in a three hours session .I took them back to the shop for a refund or exchange .
The owner looked at the offending shoes and in a grumpy tone said "THEY LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN WORN FOR MORE THAN 3 HOURS TO ME "
I calmly replied " yes ,I agree , that's my I am returning them ".
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:28 am

gus wrote:I bought a pair of tennis shoes once and wore a hole in the toe in a three hours session .I took them back to the shop for a refund or exchange .
The owner looked at the offending shoes and in a grumpy tone said "THEY LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN WORN FOR MORE THAN 3 HOURS TO ME "
I calmly replied " yes ,I agree , that's my I am returning them ".
LOL I'm surprised he didn't offer you some nail clippers  Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Meatbix Tue 13 Apr 2021, 4:18 pm

I bought both the tall and short Aldi boots a few years back. I actually like the tall ones, they’re comfy and waterproof and have held up well though I don’t use them that often. Less impressed by the short ones as they lack sole support and the rubber shift pad has started to crack and fall apart. Still for the price they did the job.
Meatbix
Meatbix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2