Driverless Cars - Bye Bye Mr. Plod

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  BanditDave on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

With the introduction of driverless vehicles in say the next 10 to 20 years I can see a few changes taking place.

The car will be inhibited within its programming from exceeding the speed limit or any other law breaking offence.

All vehicles will travel within the speed limits so there will be no need for traffic police and also no revenue from speeding fines.

I think the loss of revenue from traffic infringements will be offset by the lack of police salaries so no significant changes there.

The potential is there for the vehicle to travel at a speed that suits the current conditions (what a pity us humans don't think this way).

There will be no need for visible traffic signs as we have at present as all road data will be known to the driverless car by electronic means.

Potentially, no need for traffic lights as each vehicle will be able to develop an incident free solution to pass through intersections.

As I see it the traffic police will be redundant.

Assuming they pulled over an offending vehicle (I'm not sure how this will happen), do they have a conversation with the computer? or who do they communicate with?

I guess they will just continue eating doughnuts until obesity gets the better of their bodies or early retirement whichever occurs first. 

And no more drivers licensing.

Where does it end?

Pretty silly ideas, ay!

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Driverless Cars - Bye Bye Mr. Plod

Post  reddog on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 9:26 pm

Bye bye lots of jobs too. Our work is looking to automate everything,  I wonder how long it'll be before the government gets the shits because they aren't receiving any income tax and there is more people in job queues and on the dole. At the moment is cars and haul packs.  Next it'll be all trucks and robot ant miners. The rate at which this is happening it'll be much closer to 10 years that's for sure.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:42 pm

I believe that the autonomous vehicle will never eventuate on a scale that the manufacturers are hoping for. 
They may be used in closed circuit situations, such as large city CBD's, but the open road will forever be the domain of manned vehicles. 
With the NSW government gleaning $150 million in fixed camera fines alone, in 2014, there is too much budgeted income to be lost if drivers cannot be fined. Revenue will not be forgone that easily. 
I, for one, will never travel in an unmanned vehicle on the open road. I find the fly by wire lag of the Hyundai iload throttle disconcerting enough, but add all of the unpredictability of the public roads to cpu or sensor failure and you have a recipe for disaster. 
I know that there have been millions of kms of testing so far, with only one fatality, but that fatality was down to a sensor being unable to distinguish between a shiny semi body and the sky. A mistake that would be hard for a human to make. 
The fact that there have been few incidents can be put down to the very small number of vehicles. Extrapolate the numbers to current vehicle numbers and I think people would be surprised at how many incidents there were.
Next, take into account the human factor. 
People like myself will take advantage of the laws of robotics, knowing that the UMV is programmed to avoid collision, and pull out without right of way. 
Mischief. Tampering with sensors, surrounding umv's with obstacles such as traffic cones, throwing obstacles into the path of, just to see how they react. Not to mention hacking of the operating systems, which has already happened to Google car, through stereo system. 
I think that umv's will have their place, just not how the developers envisage. 
We were all supposed to be flying jet packs by now, anyway.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

Anybody who doubts the introduction of driverless cars needs to recall (assuming you are old enough!!) Dick Tracy with his wrist communicator very cleverly disguised as a wrist watch.

I for one assumed it would never happen in my lifetime. What a shame the latest developments from Samsung are catching on fire Embarassed

There are an enormous number of issues associated with driverless vehicles not the least being the loss of revenue in the doughnut industry.

If it can be demonstrated that the road toll will reduce with the introduction of driverless vehicles then the debate is all but over.

Just bear in mind how decisions are made these days by economists and not engineers. I present SA power fiasco as evidence.

As for power transmission towers blowing over, the designs are based on probabilities and statistics, not on engineering know how.

Anyway, back to driverless vehicles.

If you remember Hyme, Maxwell Smarts robot friend who was programmed to do nothing wrong.

The driverless car will behave in a similar manner.

Will a driverless highway patrol vehicle apprehend a driverless car and how will they communicate, presumably by wifi or Bluetooth.

The whole situation sounds impossible, just like Dick Tracy.

Just a wild thought.
If we could connect a number of these driverless vehicles together so that only the front one had control, we could develop a new technology. I suggest we call it a quirky name like "train".

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

A train? That idea will never catch on Smile
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chalkie on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 10:17 pm

Then some bugger in Victoria will spoil it by going and inventing the Miki card
Chalkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 8:13 am

What I want to know is who's responsible in case of an accident?

From what I was told the other day, Volvo is the only manufacturer who is prepared to accept liability if one of their driverless cars causes an accident.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

All our bureaucrats concern themselves with is statistics these days. In fact they spend millions of dollars on finding the best result that fits the question.

According to current statistics, in a typical year in Australia, there are 1000 road deaths and 33,000 road injuries that result in hospitalisation.

All the driverless technology has to do is reduce either or both of these figures by a small amount and the case for driverless vehicles has been won.

In the event of an accident, all insurance policies I am aware of have no fault clauses in them so the insurance companies don't seem to be too concerned either.

I'm not saying there aren't going to be challenges but it seems that economics drives most things these days, ethical arguments will have little influence on the outcome.

And now for some silly bits

I'm just trying to visualise a modern day motorcycle with retractable "trainer wheels" that activate when the bike slows down. I believe it has already been done on Goldwings. Or perhaps motorcycles will cease to exist in their current form.

Should motorcycles still exist I also wonder as a passenger/pillion on a motorcycle which seat you will occupy. Shocked

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down