Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ear Buds

4 posters

Go down

Ear Buds  Empty Ear Buds

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:03 pm

If you own the newest models of either the Scala or Sena or another brand that uses plug in speakers here is some interesting info for you

I own a Scala G9X but i have a AGV K3 SV that does not fit the speakers very well plus at anything above a 100ks its very hard to hear. As i have a 3.5mm plug jack i can use to plug in ear buds instead of using the speakers.

As i own a Iphone i have a set of apple earbuds, slip them in my ears on with the helmet, but there lies the first problem as the helmet padding hits my ears it pulls the bud out. Next

I then had some noise cancelling buds that i use for my video work i tried those and whilst they staid in when i put my helmet on, as they a had a little plastic dick on the bottom of them they dug into my ear lobes and after about 30 minutes hurt like buggery, next

so now a little further educated i when looking for a earbud that was more like a ear plug, so i found a pair of TDK now these work a treat but the bloody cord is 1.2 meter long as with the rest of them was a little bit of hassle to tuck em all the cord away and then catch the cord on something and it bloody pulls the ear bud out ..... Start again. Next

The hunt was on for a ear plug style ear bud with a short cord that offered decent sound and ear protection, so after a lot of hunting around i found exactly what i wanted at http://farendgear.com/shortbuds/
about $40 landed

and after a run last weekend bloody awesome

Ear Buds  D80_2111

Ear Buds  D80_2110
Ear Buds  D80_2112

and one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Male-to-3-Pole-Female-3-5mm-AUX-DC-Stereo-Audio-4Pole-90-Angled-Extension-Cable-/161989709799?hash=item25b756cfe7:g:OT8AAOSwe7BWynbT

to make it a little easier plug in and out

Back to top Go down

Ear Buds  Empty Re: Ear Buds

Post  madmax Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm

Did you look at these Jim?
http://www.noiseguard.com.au/

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 17 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm

I did at the supers way too expensive and i know a couple of blokes that have and they are a bit fragile

Last edited by Jimcoleman on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 18 Jun 2016, 1:38 am

I made my own with some of this goo from Radian and a set of earbuds that you can take the soft cushion off.  Pushed the buds into the mixture when semi hard.  Cost about $25 incl postage from the US.  There's a couple of YouTube videos on how to make them.

Ear Buds  Radian10Ear Buds  Remove10

They stay in without any problem when getting my helmet on and off, but I usually ride wearing a very lightweight balaclava, this stops any catching of leads or ends of the buds.

I also modified the Scala G-4 that I got of you Jim so they can take plug in buds, bit of fiddly work with the drill and soldering iron but it seems to be holding up okay. 

Ear Buds  G4_ear10
This photo along with a very good tutorial on how to do this can be found on ADVrider

Ear Buds  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sat 18 Jun 2016, 6:28 am

If "thinking outside of the square" is your thing, consider the technology in modern behind the ear hearing aids.

All of the electronics is behind your ear and the sound travels via a thin plastic tube to within your ear.

They are designed to be very comfortable and used by many millions of people.

Maybe a visit to a hearing centre could be beneficial.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 18 Jun 2016, 6:57 am

BanditDave wrote:If "thinking outside of the square" is your thing, consider the technology in modern behind the ear hearing aids.

All of the electronics is behind your ear and the sound travels via a thin plastic tube to within your ear.

They are designed to be very comfortable and used by many millions of people.

Maybe a visit to a hearing centre could be beneficial.
Yes but when you put a helmet on its not a good thing

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 18 Jun 2016, 7:37 am

I went looking for a cost effective solution for my music/ intercom. 

Maxs solution is extremely expensive as with the hearing centre. With the moulded earbuds they fit perfectly but are fragile in the cord and the cord is to long, as for the hearing centre stuff that would exceed my budget forsure.

Barrys fix is good one but once again the cord is standard and get in the road all the time .

My journey for this was to find a pair of comfortable earbuds that had a short cord on them 

Hence why i shared my info and $40 is where my budget was ,

I also looked at blue tooth earbuds a bit expensive but suited. But the battery life was only around 3 hours no good on all day ride

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:19 am

I'm a bit each way about the short cord, great in that there is no hassles with tucking away the excess, however I'm a bit clumsy trying to get the connector plug into the hole (Paul you stay quiet  Embarassed ), so being able to have the buds in place and have the helmet in my lap so I can see what I'm doing is how I get kitted up.  The balaclava helps in making sure things do no get pulled out when putting on the helmet.

I might try modifying one of my cheaper earbud leads, trouble is from memory these cotton based cords are a right pain to solder.

Ear Buds  Sideca10

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sat 18 Jun 2016, 11:18 am

barry_mcki wrote:I'm a bit each way about the short cord, great in that there is no hassles with tucking away the excess, however I'm a bit clumsy trying to get the connector plug into the hole (Paul you stay quiet  Embarassed ), so being able to have the buds in place and have the helmet in my lap so I can see what I'm doing is how I get kitted up.  The balaclava helps in making sure things do no get pulled out when putting on the helmet.

I might try modifying one of my cheaper earbud leads, trouble is from memory these cotton based cords are a right pain to solder.
thats why i use the extension lead to plug into

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

Sorry, didn't see that bit at the bottom of your post.  Just ordered a couple of those small extensions, at $1.38 their cheaper than I could make them.

Ear Buds  Sideca10

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum