Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights

+2
Chook
BanditDave
6 posters

Go down

Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights Empty Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights

Post  BanditDave Thu 02 Jun 2016, 2:36 pm

Thanks to NTBill for finding out this info.

Daylight Running Lights (DRL) as far as I can determine are not legal on motorcycles.

The good news is that Conspicuity Lights are.

Conspicuity lamps (ADR19/01) gives a good rundown on the topic.

I think if you are a little nervous about being "busted" for having DRL's a copy of Conspicuity lamps (ADR19/01) to share with the boys in blue may save the day.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights Empty Re: Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights

Post  Chook Thu 02 Jun 2016, 6:20 pm

BanditDave wrote:Thanks to NTBill for finding out this info.

Daylight Running Lights (DRL) as far as I can determine are not legal on motorcycles.

I wasn't aware of that, I'll have a chat to the Vehicle Standards guys at work and get their take on it.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights Empty Re: Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights

Post  BanditDave Thu 02 Jun 2016, 7:07 pm

Howdy Chook,

I should have said you can have DRL's as long as they are not switched on.

As I read it a while ago you cannot have DRL's on at the same time as your headlights unless they are original equipment on the vehicle.

Sure makes it tricky on a motorcycle that has headlights on permanently.

I no longer have DRL's, I now have conspicuity lamps

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 03 Jun 2016, 8:20 am

BanditDave wrote:Howdy Chook,

I should have said you can have DRL's as long as they are not switched on.

As I read it a while ago you cannot have DRL's on at the same time as your headlights unless they are original equipment on the vehicle.

Sure makes it tricky on a motorcycle that has headlights on permanently.

I no longer have DRL's, I now have conspicuity lamps
I know that is definitely the case with tin tops, I'll see if I can get confirmation re: bikes
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 03 Jun 2016, 8:41 am

BanditDave wrote:Thanks to NTBill for finding out this info.

The good news is that Conspicuity Lights are.

Conspicuity lamps (ADR19/01) gives a good rundown on the topic.

I think if you are a little nervous about being "busted" for having DRL's a copy of Conspicuity lamps (ADR19/01) to share with the boys in blue may save the day.

I'll admit I had to look up the dictionary.
I like adjective #2 HERE

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:06 am

The reply I got

Hi Ian

DRLs are called up in ADR13/00 for cars but not in 19/00 lighting for motorcycles so there is no ADR on DRLs on motorcycles.

But Vehicle Standards Rule allows the use of DRLs but they must be a pair and be at least 400mm apart and only operate with the headlamp off.  So operating DRL in conjuction with the headlamp is not legal.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Fri 03 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

Firstly for 2WA

Examples from the Web for conspicuity
Expand
Historical Examples

• The young man and the pulpit are therefore preeminent in conspicuity.
    The Young Man and the World Albert J. Beveridge

Seems like a great word for a scrabble game

Thanks for doing the research Chook.

I visited Maryborough (Qld) TMR a while ago seeking answers to my question.
The Compliance Officer advised there were no rules regarding DRL's on motorcycles.
I asked if he considered mine to be legal.
Being a good public servant he answered if they didn't "dazzle" oncoming motorists there should not be a problem. What an excellent answer!
He suggested I observe heavy vehicles in the Bruce Hwy at night and see how some are "dressed up like Christmas trees" and make my own judgement.

I think my Conspicuity Lamps make a difference with regard to other road users and will stick with them until told otherwise

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 03 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Chook wrote:The reply I got

Hi Ian

DRLs are called up in ADR13/00 for cars but not in 19/00 lighting for motorcycles so there is no ADR on DRLs on motorcycles.

But Vehicle Standards Rule allows the use of DRLs but they must be a pair and be at least 400mm apart and only operate with the headlamp off.  So operating DRL in conjuction with the headlamp is not legal.

My former VTR and my current VFR both have DRL's straight off the production line and are referred to as DRL in the owners and service manuals.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 03 Jun 2016, 2:36 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:

Hi Ian

My former VTR and my current VFR both have DRL's straight off the production line and are referred to as DRL in the owners and service manuals.

Were they DTR lights by ADR definition or was it the headlight was permanently on if the ignition was?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 03 Jun 2016, 3:13 pm

Chook wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Hi Ian

Were they DTR lights by ADR definition or was it the headlight was permanently on if the ignition was?

Same as the Bandit mate. Ignition on = headlight on

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 03 Jun 2016, 8:51 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Chook wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Hi Ian

Same as the Bandit mate. Ignition on = headlight on
Daylight Running Lights OR Conspicuity Lights 959052286
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:01 pm

Interesting study from the US (put on your helicopter hat before reading) summarised as follows...

"Overall, the results from this study suggest that enhancing the frontal conspicuity of motorcycles with lighting treatments beyond an illuminated low beam headlamp may be an effective countermeasure for daytime crashes involving right-of-way violations."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2011/811507.pdf

For my part, I'll continue to use the pair of 10w LED "conspicuity lamps" I'm running on the crash bars of my V2 and cross the bridge of vehicle standards non compliance if it ever raises its ugly mug.  Our trip to tassie and return to Darwin earlier this year (14,500kms in 6 weeks two up) didn't offer up a concern and we rode through every state and into every capital except WA / Perth.  NSW coppers that pulled us up for breatho didn't bat an eyelid. More interested in hearing about our trip. 

My own findings...Riding the Bandit, I get a lot more cars pulling out of intersections into my path compared to when riding the Strom. 

Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 03 Aug 2016, 8:28 am

Maybe the bandits just faster than the vstrom mate Smile it might not have anything to do with poor lighting
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Wed 03 Aug 2016, 12:24 pm

That's probably it in a nutshell.
BUT...while the Bandt goes a lil bit quicker...the Vstrom out performs it in every other area.What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Fri 05 Aug 2016, 7:07 pm

I just skimmed through that study, I wonder what the outcome of the findings were?

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down