Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full fairing vs partial fairing

+5
madmax
2wheelsagain
Ewok1958
Bosco15
catmanjan
9 posters

Go down

Full fairing vs partial fairing Empty Full fairing vs partial fairing

Post  catmanjan Fri 20 May 2016, 6:53 pm

Looking at a couple of 1250s, are there any downsides to getting the fully faired one, or is it just a case of personal preference?

I'd be doing my own maintenance, are the full fairings an obstruction/a pain to get off?

catmanjan

Back to top Go down

Full fairing vs partial fairing Empty Re: Full fairing vs partial fairing

Post  Bosco15 Fri 20 May 2016, 8:27 pm

A little bit more weather protection with fully faired, not much though. 
Extra fan on the radiator is the only other difference.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 20 May 2016, 8:44 pm

JimColeman has owned both and will no doubt have a valuable contribution to this question.  When I looked at the GSX1250F I thought the fairing seemed more about aerodynamics than rider protection, compared to things like the Honda 1300 (and many other bikes) which allows the rider's legs to be tucked in behind the fairing. I've never ridden a GSX so I can't comment from experience.

I've put a bellypan on my 1250S (see pic) and that needs to be removed for an oil change - just 4 small allen key bolts, so no real issue.  The GSX looks a bit more detailed.

Suzuki did put better springs into the front end of the GSX and it gets reported as firmer and better handling than a standard 1250 (ie naked or S) in many reports (have no idea if the valving and/or oil weight was also changed). Jim might also comment.

Full fairing vs partial fairing Img_4513
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 20 May 2016, 8:53 pm

It probably comes down to personal preference. I like the look of the S and wind protection was pretty good.
The FA is a better bike suspension wise (I've ridden Colemans) but it's heavier.
Up to you.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 21 May 2016, 12:02 am

Ewok1958 wrote:

I've put a bellypan on my 1250S (see pic) and that needs to be removed for an oil change - just 4 small allen key bolts, so no real issue.  The GSX looks a bit more detailed.

About half a dozen screws on one side, so not too bad. Add frame sliders and they have to come off as well.
Of course fairing makes it harder to clean those beautiful pipes. I take them both off about twice a year just to polish the chrome.

As for wind protection you get a little bit on the legs but not much, and only if you consciously tuck your legs in tight.

Personally it all come downs to aesthetics, and what you prefer

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi Sat 21 May 2016, 8:00 am

I have a 2014 FA. The weather protection is mostly in the upper part of the fairing, very little for the legs really. Cleaning and maintenance will probably be a bit longer rather than more complicated. I still get servicing done at a dealer and they probably charge me an extra half hour for the removal and fitting again of the fairing.
Yes the suspension is supposed to be better, I still had mine resprung and revalved but then I am a fat B*****d at 113kg in the nip.

Incidentally a mate who used to hang around here until he went to the darkside and got a bimmer GS had an 07 with factory lowers, he reckoned they were little more than window dressing.

Ulsterkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 21 May 2016, 10:01 am

I just did the suspension on my 07 bikini fairing. Total cost including new rear shock was around $800 which included new springs, gold valves and fork brace. It's certainly sorted the suspension somewhat. I prefer the half faired just because it's easier to do servicing. They are essentially identical bikes with different dashes.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Full fairing vs partial fairing Empty Another perspective.

Post  Trucktoe Sun 22 May 2016, 6:49 pm

Another perspective over and above the cosmetics and visual aspects and although not something that we like to think about, but some damage/accidents (talking minor ones) are a reality and there are a number of crash bar and engine protections options for the Bandit that are not available for the GSX/FA. May not be the sleek options but it is another perspective to consider. I love my GSX/FA there have been a couple of times I was wishing for crash bars! 

TT

SW Motech Panniers Panniers
SW Motech Top Box
GME two way and Sena SR10

Vale'
GSX1250FA
Blue
Givi Top box and Panniers
Trucktoe
Trucktoe

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 22 May 2016, 7:28 pm

Trucktoe wrote:Another perspective over and above the cosmetics and visual aspects and although not something that we like to think about, but some damage/accidents (talking minor ones) are a reality and there are a number of crash bar and engine protections options for the Bandit that are not available for the GSX/FA. May not be the sleek options but it is another perspective to consider. I love my GSX/FA there have been a couple of times I was wishing for crash bars! 

TT

There are frame sliders and engine covers available for the FA

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 23 May 2016, 12:04 am

Don't crash Smile
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Fri 27 May 2016, 7:04 pm

with regard to crash protection ive seen plenty of newish bikes at auction that have crash knobs etc etc and these machines are still written off even with light damage. fairing just makes the likelihood of a writeoff that much higher. ever priced up a genuine fairing half for prettymuch any bike on the market lately? fkn ell

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 27 May 2016, 9:45 pm

Ironman wrote:with regard to crash protection ive seen plenty of newish bikes at auction that have crash knobs etc etc and these machines are still written off even with light damage. fairing just makes the likelihood of a writeoff that much higher. ever priced up a genuine fairing half for prettymuch any bike on the market lately? fkn ell
Yeah frame sliders aren't going to save a bike from a down the road slide, but they are good for static falls

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum