Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First aid

+2
paul
reddog
6 posters

Go down

First aid Empty First aid

Post  reddog Sun 01 May 2016, 11:45 pm

Well I'll just start of with how my ride went today. It wasn't on the bandit, but on my trusty drz400E my good mate another friend and I took off from home heading into the bush. Two huskies a 300 2 banger a 450 for stroke and I. 5 minutes in and I am feeling arm pump Sad not cool but I am really unfit so I shake it out and I am all good. We do some ball bearing gravel, some mud and some general stuff. I am just getting into it and letting my body do the suspension work rather than sitting on my back side. Come around a turn and it turns to shit. My mate on the husky 300 touched a tree root on an up hill section which kicked him off the bike and caused him to hit the throttle which swings him off the bike and into a tree. We immediately administered first aid once we figured out what was wrong. I took off home as it was 2 minutes away and grabbed my 4wd. We got my mate into the 4by and off to hospital. End game was 4 breaks in the lower leg. He is off to surgery now to stabilise the breaks, then another lot tomorrow to pin it. All I can say is learn first aid. I've been to multiple bike accidents and this is the first where I have actually been able to deal with it.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

First aid Empty Re: First aid

Post  reddog Sun 01 May 2016, 11:54 pm

I should have mentioned we immobilised his legs with a splint made of sticks and a ratchet strap. We moved him into the tray of my Ute and took him to hospital. The terrain was way too rugged for an ambulance so I got my wife to ring the hospital whilst I took him in. Pretty rough effort in all. Last time a mate got massively bruised lungs and wrote of his fireblade after crashing. At least this time I was helpful rather than freezing
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 02 May 2016, 12:50 am

Bugger ..............hope he heals up ok , lucky it happened where it did

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 02 May 2016, 2:43 am

No good!!  Hope he mends well with out complications.

I`ve got my basic first aid, just updated 6 weeks ago. Never had to use it thankfully.

I`ve never been a confident dirt ridder. When I use my DRZ for what it was intended, I only use it to check my property boundaries and exploring, and that's at an almost grampa pace. Even then, the unexpected could happen, but don`t like to think about it. I get very nervous if I was to try and push through the bush.
I more worry about Taipans and Brown snakes, and if I get bitten by one at my property, too far for first aid to be of help.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 02 May 2016, 6:18 am

Great work, Reddog. 
Good to hear that you are able to apply your training and knowledge.  
As you said, a big part of first aid is knowing that you have the ability to affect help and doing so, without having to stop and analyse and second guess yourself.  
That bit of training really helps to save time and possibly lives. 
Well done. 
Good luck to your mate. It's a long slow road to recovery. Tell him to listen to his physio, once his six weeks are up, & do everything they tell him to.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 02 May 2016, 8:18 am

Good job RD. Here's hoping your friend gets fixed up and is able to get back on the bike.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 02 May 2016, 11:44 am

Well done RD.
Hope your mate is on the mend.
How was the bike?
I'd love to get back on a 2 banger dirty but I'm often reminded how frequently they hurt and hurt a lot.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 02 May 2016, 1:39 pm

Yeah my mate is in good spirits after the first op to stabilise the breaks. He goes in for the second op shortly for some extra hardware to be bolted into the rod. He is going to be in hospital for a few days and then might be home mid week. His wife want too pleased, his bike is apparently pretty damaged too, so maybe his leg got squashed between the bike and the tree. 

@2wheelsagain - I'm hearing you, my last off was pretty nasty. I try not to crash, but to be honest it can just be a freak thing like yesterday. We only live once, but crashing does suck. Although my mate loved the penthrox green whistle
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum