ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  Ulsterkiwi on Wed 27 Apr 2016, 6:29 am

Just back from a work trip which took me to Brisbane for 5 days. First time I got a chance to look around, had always been flying through Brisbane on previous occasions. Nice city fellas!
I was mostly around Southbank and the CBD. A couple of things really struck me. One, you fellas really have motorcycle and scooter parking sorted! In Wellington and surrounds, while there is parking provision, how it is organised is a clusterf**k. I was impressed with the number of parks, bikes using them and the ability for everyone to park and not be a dick. You may think this is a no brainer but just come to Wellington one morning on any given working week and you will see idiots at work; people who seem to be able to park in such a way that they take up disproportionate space and block others in. Scooters especially but motorcyclists are not immune.

The other thing was the number of people riding with no gear, save a helmet. I know its hot and I was looking at urban riding and like the rest of the world NZ has its fair share of people riding with no gear but the proportions seemed higher. Is it the heat? NZ would consider Australia more litigious, are the insurance companies awkward when it comes to gear/no gear in the event of an accident?
Not interested in starting an argument about the wearing of gear, more curious about the culture or mindset.
On this theme a facebook group I follow is currently discussing a chap in the Wellington region who commutes on a VStrom, wears an ancient leather coat (not motorcycle jacket) an open face helmet, office type pants and goes barefoot, yes, barefoot.

Ulsterkiwi

Posts : 143
Join date : 2014-09-22
Location : Kapiti Coast New Zealand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  madmax on Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:05 am

You see a fair few squids around, even in Melbourne. Usually young guys who's brains haven't fully developed yet.

Personally regards of temp, I'm always going to be wearing long pants, boots, gloves and some form of jacket. And of course a helmet

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  mtbeerwah on Wed 27 Apr 2016, 6:29 pm

I was born and bred there, and am living back here again temporarily.
The parking was better a few years ago, as with so much construction going on,
they've deleted some, and moved the others out of the city centre.
You try and find a parking spot during the week, if your not there early, you loose.
But I shouldn't complain, as at the moment, parkings free.If you drive a car, and use car parks, ( not street meters)
It's up to $30 an hour..a f$@#+mg joke.
As for safety, I avoid mid day city traffic in summer, as it's too hot

_________________
"Like an unmuddied lake, as clear as an azure sky of deepest summer"
96 Gen 1. Love it to no end.  Simple, solid, underestimated.
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
avatar
mtbeerwah

Posts : 1586
Join date : 2010-02-20
Location : Gladstone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  meggens85 on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:03 am

Parking a bike is why i like vic u just pull it up on the footpath and walk away even in the cbd of melb or geelong no paying for parking for this little black duck
avatar
meggens85

Posts : 112
Join date : 2016-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  madmax on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 12:31 am

meggens85 wrote:Parking a bike is why i like vic u just pull it up on the footpath and walk away even in the cbd of melb or geelong no paying for parking for this little black duck
I heard Melbourne city council were going to stop it. Force motorcyclists to seek paid parking spaces.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  2wheelsagain on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:45 pm

madmax wrote:
meggens85 wrote:Parking a bike is why i like vic u just pull it up on the footpath and walk away even in the cbd of melb or geelong no paying for parking for this little black duck
I heard Melbourne city council were going to stop it. Force motorcyclists to seek paid parking spaces.

Not quite correct. Stop listening to D Cognotto. The VMCA have taken up the negotiations with the Port Philip Council with the view to finding substitute parking around Luna Park.
As far as MCC go there has always been a section on Collins St where on footpath parking hasn't been permitted but all other parking is as has always been. Its a statute right under the Vic Road Traffic Act (as close as practical to the kerb and to not obstruct peds). In the 80's we took up all CBD spaces to prove a point and we'd be happy to do it again if pushed. The VMCA for $35 a year does a lot of great work for us Victorian riders.

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6237
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 53
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  madmax on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 2:38 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
madmax wrote:
meggens85 wrote:Parking a bike is why i like vic u just pull it up on the footpath and walk away even in the cbd of melb or geelong no paying for parking for this little black duck
I heard Melbourne city council were going to stop it. Force motorcyclists to seek paid parking spaces.

Not quite correct. Stop listening to D Cognotto. The VMCA have taken up the negotiations with the Port Philip Council with the view to finding substitute parking around Luna Park.
As far as MCC go there has always been a section on Collins St where on footpath parking hasn't been permitted but all other parking is as has always been. Its a statute right under the Vic Road Traffic Act (as close as practical to the kerb and to not obstruct peds). In the 80's we took up all CBD spaces to prove a point and we'd be happy to do it again if pushed. The VMCA for $35 a year does a lot of great work for us Victorian riders.

I don't know who your talking about!

I only heard it on the radio on the way to work one day months ago, and that was to ban footpath parking in the CBD whether it is true or not I have no idea. More likely that they were considering it.
My understanding, even though it is a state law any council has the right to restrict footpath parking, and the way the MCC roll it wouldn't surprise me if they did consider it, especially If they tried it once before.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATGATT and parking Brisbane style.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum