Blacked out headlight and projector lenses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blacked out headlight and projector lenses

Post  Oz17ub on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

Been thinking bout stripping down the headlight and painting the excess chrome inside black. 

Done the same with my car and it looked 100000x better

Anybody done or seen it before? 

And whilst im there whats the possibility of going projector?

Oz17ub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Blacked out headlight and projector lenses

Post  reddog on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm

That's a question you need to ask barry
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 6:53 pm

Like Reddog has said, Barry has already done the convert.

But for some light reading,(ha ha , not really) go to HIDPlanet.    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

It is basically the bible for anything related to lights of any kind.  If you`ve got a question, its been done before.

07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:28 pm

I thought about blacking out the light package but decided against it when I took into account the amount of painting actually required to get all the bits and pieces.  I also considered not reinstall what was left of the reflector assembly after I cut away a fair bit of it to fit the projectors, but it left the light looking too barren and also meant I needed a different strategy for mounting the hardware for the light adjustment, so in the end the headlight looks relatively factory standard and can be adjusted as per the manual.

If you are not going with aftermarket projectors, you'll have to keep a portion of the reflector silver so the bulbs can do their thing (whether they are halogen or HID H7's).  You can get an idea what it would look like by getting a dark tint protector:

Pulling the headlight apart is pretty easy, once the bikini fairing and screen are off there's basically only four nuts holding the headlight to the frame.  Follow the standard procedures to get the lens of the back, doesn't take too much effort, but its best to use the oven a couple of times than too much heat all at once.  Contrary to whats written about the grey sealant, it does clean up very easy with the citrus based goo-remover.

The big problem with the GSF1250 headlight is the triangle section at the top, this interfers quiet considerably with the beam projection if you try to install the projectors in the same spot as the original H7 bulbs, but moving the top projector down too much means the lower projector then can't fit as it hits the bottom of the headlight.  I did fool around with the idea of a smaller projector, but worked out the light that would produce would be less than the semi-blocked normal size:

So, once the options were weighed up it was clear that the projectors could not be mounted in the "standard" reflector cups as per a normal retrofit.  So I came up with the blacking plate idea, this allowed me to move the projectors to positions that gave the best "compromise" given the restrictions:

The overall result is spectacular, no glare, no time delays going from low to high, lower power consumption than the original lights, redundancy in the twin design and an overall satisfaction in getting it finished.  However, considering the cost in time and materials, I would suggest to anyone who is looking at a basic upgrade of their factory headlights is to stick with some good brand 55w halogen bulbs and rewire them with a relay going directly to the battery.  

I'm a bit of a tinkerer and have plenty of time to mess around with numerous redesigns, and the bike is not my primary means of transport so for me this was a fun project.

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Oz17ub on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

Exactly what i wanted barry cheers mate

Anychance youve got a photo of the refelctor bits. Essentially just looking for an individual look and being a black bike and me not being a chrome fan in anyway the less chrome the better I reckon  

Cheera for the reply mate

Oz17ub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 11:18 pm

Sorry, I've already started hacking into the reflector in most of these shots, however the first is a headlight that's just been opened with the reflector untouched:  

The double-dome chrome plastic piece you can see at the top of the reflector in the first photo is used to block 50% of the light for low beam bulb, much the same way as the moveable plate works in the Bi-Xenon projectors.  

The bulbs use most of the reflector to get the beam correct, so I'm not sure how much you could black out without messing with the light pattern.

In the end I basically cut out a rectangle from the middle of the reflector assembly, the projector bodies fits straight through.  I also had to extensively trim the shrouds as the projectors were so close to each other:

The shine of the alloy plate, the projector shrouds and the reflector all blend in together, IMHO if I tried to blackout anything it would stand out too much.

barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Oz17ub on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 6:10 am

Yeh for your application i think it would make it stand out too much and might cause for concern of aftermarket lighting. 
Theres quite alot of un used chrome in most lights. When manufacturing the lenses theyre pressed and coated for the most efficient process. When i did my car lights i just removed all the butyl and slowly taped up more and more until the light directly touched the tape. That way i knew the output wasn't going to be affected at all. 

Its food for though thanjs barry. 
What windscreen do you have aswell? Double? Im 5'8, if your similar height do you get any chop of buffeting

Oz17ub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 10:01 am

I'm 5'10" and didn't find the Double Bubble I installed that much different to the original screen - still had a lot of helmet buffering.  

I changed to the MRA Vario in 2011 and installed a Corbin seat (it's 1" lower than the original) about the same time.  This stopped almost all the buffering, but the MRA is a lot noisier due to the extra edges of the "spoiler", however earplugs fixes that problem.

Can't remember where I got it from, think I order it from a supplier in the UK, I see they're on eBay for about AU$270 delivered.

barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum