Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick of the dark blue colour

+9
reddog
Hammy
Chook
madmax
barry_mcki
Ewok1958
Bosco15
paul
Nic 2
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Sick of the dark blue colour - Page 3 Empty Sick of the dark blue colour

Post  Nic 2 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 11:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Well I have a fork brace coming and I need to remove the fork guard things where the brace will bolt to, I didn't want to cut them off so I had to remove the whole kit n kaboodle, while I was at it I decided to do something about this boring dark blue colour on the K7 1250 that everyone else has, it's been urking me for the whole year that I've owned it. How am I gonna liven it up, boring black, while I thought long n hard over the colour I settled on gloss black, I considered matt black but in the end I'm going with gloss. I have the paint in stock which also swayed me to black. While it's obviously still dark, well, dark-er, I reckon black will go well with the red rim strips I wanna put on, thinking of painting the side covers red but not sure on that yet, it might be too much. 
Seeing as I don't want the bike off the road right now I decided to just do the front guard, I'll just wack it back on tomorrow and pull the guard back off in the future to wet sand n buff because I'm using old school acrylic lacquer which takes a while to go hard, I put 2 coats primer, 2 black and 8 clear coats for a deep mirror shine. Here's a pic with 2 coats of clear, will be putting a coat of clear on every 1/2 hour till I have 8 on.
I'm going to do the rest in stages as the inclination takes me, I just thought I'd do the guard seeing as I had it off. Glad to have begun to ditch the dark blue at last.
Sick of the dark blue colour - Page 3 Front_10
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Sick of the dark blue colour - Page 3 Empty Re: Sick of the dark blue colour

Post  Bosco15 Sun 21 Feb 2016, 6:25 pm

One of the things that I enjoy most about motorcycles, is the fact that you are immersed in the elements not removed from them, like in a car. 
I love to smell the cow shit as I ride past paddocks, to feel the warmth or cold, to feel the wind in my face. 
I ride with my visor up most of the time. Sometimes I get stung and wish that I had it down, but I enjoy the stimulus of the wind. 
I have not ridden a bike that did not have some amount of wind noise.  
I imagine that maybe some of the ultra tourers like Goldwings or BMW's with the massive screens would provide wind protection enough to cut the noise.  
Having said that, I ride both a 1200 & 1250 Bandit and experienced more wind on the 1250 to which I fitted a touring screen for the missus. 
Not all bikes fit all people & if you are not happy with your ride then a change to something else is not a silly move.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Sun 21 Feb 2016, 6:49 pm

The other day I rode the Bandit for the last time, I had to do the 75K highway ride into Duckburg, I donned the ear plugs and set off, the fact that I knew it was my last ride on the bandit didn't help at all in my being able to handle the noise. I said a few posts ago that I thought "maybe" the tank was the final piece of the puzzle, the front half on the tank on both sides looks to be a good scoop for pushing the air UP into the rider, for some reason I thought of that and  put my left arm across my body at about Naval height with my hand outstretched, palm facing down and FFS about half of the crap buffeting instantly disappeared, if I sat up tall in the saddle at the same time I had reduced the wind rubbish to what I would call "normal" levels,  I rode like that on and off for a lot of the trip, as I turned the final corner I felt a warm fuzzy feeling inside, as I rode off on the new bike I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief that I had finally put an end to the year that was.
Trying to get under the noise is the wrong way to go about it on the Bandit if you are 6 foot or more. It get's very tiring riding with one hand and sitting tall in the saddle for any length of time. 
Bike manufacturers might use wind tunnels to design their bikes but I doubt very much whether they give two fucks about the sap atop.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  broncsrule21 Sun 21 Feb 2016, 7:40 pm

Ju st my 2 cents...I've owned two k7 Bandits (missed the first one so bad I bought another). I have been through the list of windscreens. I had a double bubble (skidmarx)  on my first bike.  It was ok. When I bought my next Bandit, it had a large Vstream shield. I couldn't stand looking through a screen, so I bought a Puig Sport touring screen.  I love it. Tall enough to keep the wind off the body,  without causing bad wind noise at the helmet. Just my thoughts...two 1250'S deep

broncsrule21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3