Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016

+5
Brigand
Ewok1958
Bosco15
#Tag
Hammy
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016 - Page 2 Empty Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016

Post  madmax Tue 12 Jan 2016, 11:22 am

First topic message reminder :

Back in September I rode through the Vic alps going through Hotham. At that time I chose The Great Alpine Rd because I guessed that the east section of the Bogong High Plains Road would be closed. As i found out on this trip I was right. The road is closed through winter and only opens on the 1st November.

Ian riding a ZX9R has only been riding on roads for about 8 months, told me the other day he was interested in doing an overnighter. So I planned on giving him a great ride over the Vic Alps. Ian arrived at my place at 9am on Sunday, and we left soon after.

Heading out through Berwick - Cockatoo - Woori Yallock - stopping at Yarra Junction for a coffee break. From there it was through Warburton and onto the Reefton Spur(39ks) After the spur its past Marysville - Buxton  and Taggerty. turning right at Taggerty and heading into Eildon for a fuel stop. Back out of Eildon and down to the Eildon-Jamieson Rd (56ks of twisties Very Happy ) from Jamieson it up to Mansfield for another break and fuel stop before heading on to the Mansfield-Whitfield Rd (44ks) From Whitfield its a fairly boring ride through to Beechworth where we chose to stay for the night. We stopped at the Empire hotel but couldn't get rooms, So we ended up across the road at the Armour Motor Inn. Not to bad for $135ea Clean rooms off street parking, undercover offered if rain expected and a pool, bugger I forgot my boardies! Never mind back to the pub, $6.50 for Schooners $18 for a huge Parma Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016 - Page 2 959052286 kicked out of the pub at 10pm (been awhile since I've stayed till stumps, must be the country air  Laughing )

Monday morning
Up and out a little after 8, stopped at the Beechworth Bakery for breakfast then on to Myrtleford and Bright. The Buckland Gap Rd out of Beechworth is fairly boring except for a short section of fast sweepers. A rest stop at Germantown at the start of Tawonga Gap Rd (21ks of glorious twisties  Very Happy ) One close call with a truck who thought he'd use both lanes while I was passing him. Time to buy a Stebel I think. Onwards through Mt Beauty, (I can see where it gets its name) to Falls Creek. The Bogong High Plains Rd on the west side of Falls Creek is another 28ks of glorious twisties and views. No more trouble for me with other vehicles most of them move over and let you pass. Ian however had a lowloader pull out in front of him and for quite sometime he struggled to get past it. This put me at the Gateway Cafe at Falls Creek in time to have the coffees ready for a well earned break. Heading out of Falls Creek the east section of The Bogong High Plains Rd is not in as good a condition, but it is sealed and well worth the effort (36ks). We stopped shortly afterwards for a photo op at the Rocky Valley water storage. A girl from Parks Victoria took a photo of us, pity we didn't remove our helmets. You turn right into the Omeo Hwy(38ks of twisties) We had a brief stop at the Blue Duck Inn at Angler Rest. Even though it was lunch time we didn't stop for lunch, place looked ok though. On towards Omeo for petrol for the bikes and milkshakes for us. Out of Omeo and back onto the Great Alpine Rd Through Swifts Creek- Doctors Flat - Ensay. Its getting bloody hot now and the Tambo River I keep seeing on my left is looking mighty inviting. Just south of Tambo Crossing I spotted a small bridge across the river with some people paddling in the water. Time for a break, so I parked my bike in the middle of the bridge for a photo op plus I knew it was in full sight for Ian to see where I had stopped. Splashing some cold water over my face in a feeble attempt to cool down, I should have followed Ian's lead and soaked my shirt. These rides you've got to pack plenty of water, I was buying bottled water at just about every stop.  The section of the GAR from Omeo to Bruthen is about 97ks long and offers quite a few sections of great twisties along with some fast sweepers. We eventually arrived at Bruthen around 4:30, rode into Bairnsdale for another fuel and rest stop. Leaving Bairnsdale is where it gets interesting. Trying to avoid as much of the hwy as I could I typed Heyfield into the GPS and it came up with a convoluted route though some interesting country. I can't remember exactly where we went but the map I will post is pretty close. As we got further and further into it, it seemed to be taking us out too far, so I hit the home button and it redirected south and would you believe down to Heyfield! By now we both are pretty buggered and its getting late. Time wise for me its ok but Ian's got to work tomorrow. So we decided to chicken out and take the freeway home. Back onto the Princess at Taralgon for a rest and refuel, then another rest stop at Longwarry. Notice how the rest stops are getting closer together. From Longwarry it has now started to rain! I've only got the Air Ride jacket on without its liner and I'm now bloody cold! Stuff it I'm going home and I'm not stopping again, only 70ks to go. Got home at 9:20. Somewhere towards the end I had lost Ian, He had taking a route through Cranbourne and had stopped to clear his visor. I was good to get a phone call from him after he got home. Also good to hear he loved every bit of it.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Falls Creek Ride Jan 2016

Post  Hammy Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
madmax wrote:A girl from Parks Victoria took a photo of us, pity we didn't remove our helmets. 

You have to watch us Parkies. Its a wonder she didn't run off with the camera Laughing

She would have , if they had taken their helmets off !    affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 14 Jan 2016, 12:00 pm

Hammy wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
madmax wrote:A girl from Parks Victoria took a photo of us, pity we didn't remove our helmets. 

You have to watch us Parkies. Its a wonder she didn't run off with the camera Laughing

Harsh.............but true Laughing

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Harsh.............but true Laughing
lol!

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin