Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Box Debacle.

5 posters

Go down

Top Box Debacle. Empty Top Box Debacle.

Post  Nic 2 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 2:46 pm

Well today I went for a hiway jaunt of some 150Ks, took the top box coz it was a little cold in the morning and I thought I might want to ditch some of the gear for the return trip. The top box is an RJays 36 litre job, it came with the bike, while it does nothing for the looks of the bike I've found it to be real handy. The rack it was bolted to is the scrawny Ventura. 
Well I get to my destination only to find the top box is gone Razz  affraid the Ventura rack snapped clean off. I can only be glad there was nothing in it. So today I bought a new one of the same size and brand but this time I'll be making my own rack similar to the one I did for the old Honda four.
I always thought the way the rack is held on only at the front was asking for trouble n now my fears have come true, with the rack connected only at the front it is free to wriggle up n down when riding, this is also confirmed when I've had the babe on the back, she said she couldn't lean against it coz it was moving up n down all the time, metal fatigue anyone. With the Honda I was able to put two struts at the rear so it's rock solid, the Suzuki is another deal altogether, there's nothing back there, I'm going to put a strut from the rear bolt that used to hold the grab rail on to somewhere probably half way along the length of the new rack plate and hope it works. Anyone with a similar setup should beware IMO.
 Here's a pick of the one I put on the Honda.
Top Box Debacle. Honda_10
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Top Box Debacle. Empty Re: Top Box Debacle.

Post  MattyC Fri 08 Jan 2016, 3:59 pm

I have a question
Does the Honda set up use the mud guard to hold all the weight ?
I would be worried about the guard cracking over time and end up on the tyre.

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 4:20 pm

MattyC wrote:I have a question
Does the Honda set up use the mud guard to hold all the weight ?
I would be worried about the guard cracking over time and end up on the tyre.

Razz
Not a chance mate, weight is distributed evenly. Tail light assembly is rubber mounted. Back in the day I went to the drive-in 3 up on my K1, you guessed it, 3rd person on the guard. They no breaky with just a top box on it. 
Funny thing was, the attendant at the pay box didn't bat an eye lid, 3 thanks Razz
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 08 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

Check out Jaba's for sale post, he's got the actual Givi rails and plate.

Top Box Debacle. Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:17 pm

I can't afford Givi stuff. I'll make if myself for bugger all.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:35 pm

I road tested my 1250 with the ventura bag behind the back axil (like I had a pillion ,I didn't ) . At high speed the bike got a pronounced  nervous weave . ( illegal speed )
I then put the bag over the seat and did the same section , weave completely gone .
No surprise really, but every time I see a set up like above I think throw over bags have to be a better option .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:44 pm

I'm pretty useless in the engineering department so if a set of good second-hand rails came up I'd be at least checking out the price - having a top box rip off with half the rear end of the bike and hitting that brand new Merc behind me kind of makes me think factory engineered parts has something going for it.  BTW the Bandit rear mounting points might not be as strong as your old Honda:  

Top Box Debacle. Broken10

Top Box Debacle. Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:55 pm

Nic 2 wrote:I can't afford Givi stuff. I'll make if myself for bugger all.
Under $150 delivered to any where in Australia new

http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/8963492/givi-1121fz-topcase-monorack-sidearms-for-honda-cb-500x-2013-2014.html

You could make him a reasonable offer based on that
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Sat 09 Jan 2016, 8:05 am

All good points for sure, I wondered where the box came off and the thought that it hit a car, any car freaked me out, who knows, it may very well have hit something somewhere. I scoured the hiway all the way home n saw nothing, I'm just glad there was nothing in there, could have cost me a new jacket at least.
The thought of either of them coming off again means it is imperative that they don't. The one on the Honda is a little 26L job and will carry no weight at all and I'm confident the mounting is reliable.
The Givi setup, while it looks better than the Ventura, there's no reason I can't make a better setup.
I just shelled out $120 for the new box, I have rego coming soon, I need a rear tyre before that, I have made an offer for the forkbrace which I have had no reply to so maybe it's too small? no idea, thinking I'm happy not to buy it now, so whatever he would take for the Givi stuff is too much for the budget right now.
 I've become somewhat reliant on the top box, while it's an eyesore and will effect stability at speed it's invaluable for me. I'm usually just putzing along at 100kph on the hiway and I need the ability to maybe buy something and be able to bring it home.
This debacle has brought home the importance of reliable mounting and I can't help think this won't be the last time someone looses their box esp with the Ventura setup, the wall thickness of the steel tubing is paper thin. I'll be using 5mm steel strap just like what I used at the front of the Honda, then I'll have some sort of re enforcing via a brace on both sides, pretty confident my setup will be strong and reliable.
It's great to be able to reach into the wallet, I've NEVER had that luxury and because of that I have always had to think of ways to DIY, in the end a lot of times it's been the better way to go. I certainly don't see the Givi setup as anything special. 
Cheers.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum