Another new guy.

Go down

Another new guy.

Post  Nic 2 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:40 pm

Hi everyone, just signed up, I've been lurking for a while n decided to sign up. I'm 61 and have been a return rider for the last 2 years. Before that, my last bike was a Honda Four K1 in 79.
I live in the Canberra region and have a K2 Honda CB750 ( tryin to relive the 70's no doubt ) that I restored in 2013 and a 2007 1250. The Suzuki is my first and only foray into the modern era.
I was a bike mechanic back in the 70s and worked at a Honda dealer. If it's a Honda Four or Kwaka 9 I can fix it. The fact that I have no idea about this modern job puts me on edge, never the less, for the last year owning it, it has not missed a beat. I have resisted the urge to remove the pair system and the secondaries or even the stock exhaust as I can't see the need for more power and don't have pops in the exhaust on decel, the one thing that I wish was gone is the throttle snatchiness, I can get used to it but then I ride the Four and have to get used to it's throttle, then the Suzuki and back and forth.
 I've ridden a couple of Honda blackbirds, one had a very snatchy throttle n the other one was good, I got a fair bit of pain in my thumbs with the low forward bars on the B/birds and this is really why I bought the Suzuki, because of the riding position. I love how it never shakes it's head and has never given me the slightest scare unlike the old K2 which can be a bit all over the place, that can be fun too though.
Sometimes I prefer riding the old K2 because you have to ride it, sometimes I reckon the Suzuki is a bit boring, sort of like it rides itself but then once in amongst the twisties the bike is great fun for me even though these bikes are supposed to be just ok at handling, for me I have no dramas esp when I ride the K2. I love both bikes n so here I am, great to be on board.
The Bandit has a staintune muffler and a K&N filter, it has the gear selector thing (Arte?) and I have had the selector switch out and cleaned it up so the gears read correct. I have no idea if or what has been done to the bike, I assume it has stock suspension but have no idea really, it rides very true to me but this is only compared to the old K2.
Here're a couple of pics of my bikes.
Cheers, Nic.

https://servimg.com/view/19380765/1

Last edited by Nic 2 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nic 2
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another new guy.

Post  broncsrule21 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 2:56 pm

Looking good! Welcome, from another new guy:)

broncsrule21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:06 pm

Welcome Nic. I lived in Canberra for some 23 years and retired to the far south coast (Bega Valley) about 2 years ago. So not too far away. Will be back in Canberra for Xmas as our daughter lives there (in Rivett).
Nice old K2 by the way (I've got a 1980 XS850 by way of staying in touch with biking in the '80s). I never owned a 750F but did have its littlest brother, a CB350Four for a few years back in the '80s. I was nearly tempted to buy a 750F2 last year but resisted the urge! Your Bandit looks to have an aftermarket seat in addition to the couple of things you mentioned. The throttle snatchiness could be occurring if the throttle bodies need balancing (same as syncing the carbs on a non-fuel injected bike).  A dealer could do that for you, or if you have a set of vacuum gauges you could do it yourself. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:26 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote:Welcome Nic. I lived in Canberra for some 23 years and retired to the far south coast (Bega Valley) about 2 years ago. So not too far away. Will be back in Canberra for Xmas as our daughter lives there (in Rivett).
Nice old K2 by the way (I've got a 1980 XS850 by way of staying in touch with biking in the '80s). I never owned a 750F but did have its littlest brother, a CB350Four for a few years back in the '80s. I was nearly tempted to buy a 750F2 last year but resisted the urge! Your Bandit looks to have an aftermarket seat in addition to the couple of things you mentioned. The throttle snatchiness could be occurring if the throttle bodies need balancing (same as syncing the carbs on a non-fuel injected bike).  A dealer could do that for you, or if you have a set of vacuum gauges you could do it yourself. cheers
Hi Ewok, aftermarket seat affraid  yes you could say that, I made it myself, it's in two parts, it's the most comfortable I have had on the bike. The stock seat is just horrendous IMO, it just killed me. Then I had Mick at MJM wave his want over it but it wasn't much better, looks great but still hurts my arse like hell.
The seat/s is/are eyesores to a degree but they are incredibly comfy, the pillion seat is very good now, the bit right up the back is just a bit of foam, you don't sit on it but you push back on it so you don't feel like you are gonna fall forward off the seat. I added grab rails as well so the pillion has something to hang onto esp when braking, kinda handy and a happy pillion is a happy rider Razz
 I have a set of vac gauges for the Honda, might have to look into that, thanks.
Here's a look at the seat and rails.
Nic 2
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:01 pm

Functional if not artistic!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:23 pm

Welcome Nic

@Ewok1958 wrote:Functional if not artistic!
No one will notice (much) when he's sitting on it Wink
Chook
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:29 pm

@Chook wrote:Welcome Nic

@Ewok1958 wrote:Functional if not artistic!
No one will notice (much) when he's sitting on it Wink
Thanks Chook, yeah the seat looks off I know but it's comfy n cost me nothing, MJM got $400 off me but when I need to sell the bike the MJM seat will do the biz.
Nic 2
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Nic.

Now bite the bullet and pull the secondaries, throttle response will improve remarkably.

madmax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:22 pm

Welcome Nic. 
Great to see you still have a passion for riding big bikes.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Nic  Very Happy

paul
paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:41 pm

welcome mate...

good to see your protecting the family jewels as well, with your padding.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 on Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:44 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:welcome mate...

good to see your protecting the family jewels as well, with your padding.
Very Happy Yes mate, it feels good to have the padding.
Nic 2
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  truck on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 2:25 am

A Sunny Nth QLD Welcome to you Nic 2.

Great intro.
truck
truck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 6:34 am

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys. Sounds like a plan, will remove 2ndaries and bal TBs 
Nic 2
Nic 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Fri 18 Dec 2015, 11:52 am

Welcome aboard.
Yes the Bandit can be boring and low spec but it is reliable.
I never found the need to pull the secondaries on mine and the throttle was nothing to complain about. Maybe I was lucky?
I did drop 9kg by ditching the stock muffler and going for a CF Beowulf can though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum