Petrol....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Petrol....

Post  stu on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

Has anyone ever purposely run their bandit out of petrol, to see what its range is?

Was on the Hume leaving Sydney yesterday and the good old flashing fuel light on my 06 likes started getting all excitable around 260km yesterday... so I thought better nip into Campbelltown to fill up.... looking  like I wouldn't make the next servo south.

Then went I filled up at 280km, only took 16.5L, meaning I should have had about 3.5L left in the tank, meaning I probably could have squeezed another 50km+ before running out....

(note that this tank was mostly highway riding, <possibly> up to around 130kmh, carrying full panniers and bag etc).

So..... the bike seemed a little too cautious about its warning.

What sort of range do people get?

(PS in the past I once <accidentally>ran out of petrol on the bike at maybe 250km, more suburban riding... about 1km from a servo)

Much antisocial.
Dale Walker Stage 2 bits with K&N air pod things.
Wool seat cover for nomoresorebum.

stu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Petrol....

Post  Chook on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:05 am

That seems pretty normal, there is at least one thread on this that goes into a fair bit of detail
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  stu on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

@Chook wrote:That seems pretty normal, there is at least one thread on this that goes into a fair bit of detail

You mean this one?

http://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t4515p15-fuel-range?highlight=range

That i even posted in.... Le Sigh.

Much antisocial.

stu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

Your 06 is carby isn't it Stu ? So you don't have the injection pump in the tank. You get an extra litre (i.e. tank is 20 litres) compared to our FI models of 19 litres.

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

Yep, the 06 is carbyed

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 7:12 am

Funny you should ask this..

I sat my bike on the centre stand last week, and emptied the tank down to reserve. The tank wasn`t completely full when I drained it, but this was more an exercise in how much is in reserve.

I have a different petcock valve in mine than factory, so you should by the manual I "think" get 4 to 4.5L left for reserve. Don`t quote me exactly.

With the old valve, mine used to take 15.5L  to reserve.

My new one drained out 4L exactly.

If I`m on journey, I take a long time to fill my tank up, and constantly shake my bike to get all the air out, and have put 16.6 L in it to reserve, + 4, so that's 20.6L. I only do this, cause the new engine is thirsty.
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stu on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:32 pm

@mtbeerwah wrote:Funny you should ask this..

I sat my bike on the centre stand last week, and emptied the tank down to reserve. The tank wasn`t completely full when I drained it, but this was more an exercise in how much is in reserve.

I have a different petcock valve in mine than factory, so you should by the manual I "think" get 4 to 4.5L left for reserve. Don`t quote me exactly.

If I`m on journey, I take a long time to fill my tank up, and constantly shake my bike to get all the air out, and have put 16.6 L in it to reserve, + 4, so that's 20.6L. I only do this, cause the new engine is thirsty.

"Reserve"?  I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those on my bike....

Is it your riding that's thirsty Smile or the actual engine? On a side note, interestingly enough my fuel economy actually IMPROVED after I fitted the Dale Walker  kit, i.e. bigger jets and the pod air filters.... as well as MORE power....

Yeah I tried your methodTM today... managed to get a extra 500ml in once the tank was full.... impressive....

Much antisocial.

stu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:27 pm

@stu wrote:
@mtbeerwah wrote:Funny you should ask this..

"Reserve"?  I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those on my bike....

Is it your riding that's thirsty Smile or the actual engine? On a side note, interestingly enough my fuel economy actually IMPROVED after I fitted the Dale Walker  kit, i.e. bigger jets and the pod air filters.... as well as MORE power....

Yeah I tried your methodTM today... managed to get a extra 500ml in once the tank was full.... impressive....
Reserve is when the fuel gage first starts to flash

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum