Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Ewok1958 on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:21 pm



On the ride on the weekend, we had a rider go down. Not serious, but cuts, abrasion, evidence of shock, and internal pain in the upper chest/ribs.  Lead riders had already left the accident scene and didn't know of the incident (ie they were ahead of the rider having the off) so I don't know what gear they might have been carrying (doesn't matter, they were not there and I was).  I always carry a first aid kit, and used it on this occasion, applying non-stick bandages to one more serious wound. The paramedics asked who had done this when they arrived.

I also did a motorcyclist-specific first aid course late last year and know my DRSABCD, and the steps to go through in terms of assessing the fallen rider's condition and immediate needs, ie should the helmet come off, should he/she be moved, should the clothing be cut, etc, etc. 

I'm not criticizing anyone here (forum members or otherwise) BUT, I'm wondering if we take this into consideration on our annual rides, ie knowing who has what first aid kits in their packs and who is in the best position to be "treating" a fallen fellow rider (or even one in another group).

scratchscratch
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3772
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Bemboka, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  paul on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:34 pm

Sad to say , but no..............I usually take a puncture repair kit , but not a people one . Years ago when I was with the Ulysses , there was a designated tail end charlie who carried the medical kit . I don't suppose it is something we like to have at the forefront of our mind on an organised run but is always a possibility .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7029
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Ewok1958 on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

Great idea to have a tail end Charlie with first aid gear and knowledge. I like that sort of simplicity.
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3772
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Bemboka, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  barry_mcki on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm

On a big trip I usually carry way too much junk, but some of the more useful things are a first aid kit (half lunch box size), as well as a decent amount of tools, tarp, compressor, puncture repair kit (the good mushroom-head handgun kit from Pashnit), petrol, water, and a companion puppy.  

Like a lot of us I imagine, I have done a number of first aid courses throughout the years, but not the bike specific one though - that would be well worth it.

Might be worth looking at getting some stickers like these:


_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 60
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Bosco15 on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm

Like Paul said, I think people tend to push it to the back of their mind with either "it'll never happen to me" or "don't temp fate" attitude.  
It is an important thing to consider and a little first aid knowledge can make a big difference in the efficacy of initial treatment.  
I carry a rudimentary first aid kit and have done various courses over the years, noting how techniques change from time to time.  
Well done in having the knowledge and confidence to administer the help needed, nurse Dave.

_________________
Some people are like slinkys. Not good for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
avatar
Bosco15

Posts : 1357
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 48
Location : Newcastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Chook on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 8:29 pm

we carry a pretty comprehensive 1st aid kit in the car, I only carry real basic's on a trip on the bike
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3038
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 53
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  madmax on Mon 14 Sep 2015, 10:31 pm

No room on the bike for first aid gear. Usually space taken up for more important things like booze and bike cleaning gear Razz

booze = liquid analgesic Smile

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3947
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  #Tag on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:46 am

I have MM's philosophy on use of available storage area. I've never done a first aid course (as a student), I spose I should, huh?
avatar
#Tag

Posts : 609
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Bega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm

#Tag wrote:I have MM's philosophy on use of available storage area. I've never done a first aid course (as a student), I spose I should, huh?

Maybe you could 'borrow' the work vehicle on our longer trips! Wink sunny
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3772
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Bemboka, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  #Tag on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:24 pm

If you can find somebody to drive it - I wanna ride.
avatar
#Tag

Posts : 609
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Bega

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Jimcoleman on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

I just wish tag would have the green whistle that fixes everything

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Bosco15 on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 6:33 am

@Jimcoleman wrote:I just wish tag would have the green whistle that fixes everything

clown They are great, hey. I had my first puff not too long ago. Turned a broken ankle 
Into a party.

_________________
Some people are like slinkys. Not good for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
avatar
Bosco15

Posts : 1357
Join date : 2013-12-04
Age : 48
Location : Newcastle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Hammy on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 6:46 am

Yes. A great idea Dave, and I wonder why it has taken so long for the topic to come up. Big group rides need to be organised as you say. You don't want someone left in a ditch with their bike on top of them.

_________________
Non Compus Mentis.    "Not of Sound Mind" .
avatar
Hammy

Posts : 4446
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 58
Location : The Rock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  reddog on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 6:56 pm

Do a first aid course and encourage your friends to do it too. Then if you happen to come a shit mixer someone may be able to save your life. Don't bury your head in the sand and think it'll never be me. I've been on rides where there's been big crashes, first aid is invaluable. i carry a small pack in my top box. gloves and a shock blanket are top of my list. I even carry antihistamine (I'm allergic to bees) and headache tabs.
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2429
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Jimcoleman on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 9:36 pm

The problem is when you organise a ride you become liable, hence why i never organise rides i just co ordinate them which apparently is a big difference in legal terms

_________________
Blue GSX1250FA
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  2wheelsagain on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 7:20 am

@Jimcoleman wrote:The problem is when you organise a ride you become liable, hence why i never organise rides i just co ordinate them which apparently is a big difference in legal terms
Having us book our own accommodation would see you in the clear anyway James.

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6246
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 53
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  reddog on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 2:47 pm

What's the definition? I have people occasionally follow me Smile
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2429
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  paul on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 7:13 pm

@reddog wrote:What's the definition? I have people occasionally follow me Smile
I think proof of being an organiser of any event like the ones we usually join in on  would be down to the people on the run , and their attitude should things go pear shaped & if money was involved ; if they thought they could shift the blame for ( usually ) their own actions onto someone else & come out on top .................. sad , but a sign of the times I'm afraid ..................there are very few true friends where money is concerned these days . Not everyone granted , but it is becoming a lot more commonplace to shift the responsibility onto someone else .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7029
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  reddog on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm

I don't charge people and can't organise a piss up in brewery so I'll be right. Smile

Its a dog act to blame someone else if you are clearly at fault. Luckily I've never been in a situation like that, the person certainly would no longer remain an acquaintance.
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2429
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  paul on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 8:14 pm

@reddog wrote:I don't charge people and can't organise a piss up in brewery so I'll be right. Smile

Its a dog act to blame someone else if you are clearly at fault. Luckily I've never been in a situation like that, the person certainly would no longer remain an acquaintance.
Mate , you're flying straight over Coopers ..................you sure you don't want to give it a try ............. Laughing

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7029
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  madmax on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 9:14 pm

@paul wrote:
@reddog wrote:What's the definition? I have people occasionally follow me Smile
I think proof of being an organiser of any event like the ones we usually join in on  would be down to the people on the run , and their attitude should things go pear shaped & if money was involved ; if they thought they could shift the blame for ( usually ) their own actions onto someone else & come out on top .................. sad , but a sign of the times I'm afraid ..................there are very few true friends where money is concerned these days . Not everyone granted , but it is becoming a lot more commonplace to shift the responsibility onto someone else .
I think its a bit hard to suggest that anyone of us in the past has been guilty of being an organiser. When we all decide to join up at a national meet and make our way there either singularly or in small groups we can hardly justify the guy who put in the leg work to organise the location and accommodation. Nor can we when travelling in a small group to these events blame the guy out in front for "taking us this way". We should and need to accept the responsibility of our own actions and not be trying to go blaming others. If that sort of shit starts to happen that will spell the end to any form of future group ride.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3947
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  paul on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

@madmax wrote:
@paul wrote:
@reddog wrote:What's the definition? I have people occasionally follow me Smile
I think proof of being an organiser of any event like the ones we usually join in on  would be down to the people on the run , and their attitude should things go pear shaped & if money was involved ; if they thought they could shift the blame for ( usually ) their own actions onto someone else & come out on top .................. sad , but a sign of the times I'm afraid ..................there are very few true friends where money is concerned these days . Not everyone granted , but it is becoming a lot more commonplace to shift the responsibility onto someone else .
I think its a bit hard to suggest that anyone of us in the past has been guilty of being an organiser. When we all decide to join up at a national meet and make our way there either singularly or in small groups we can hardly justify the guy who put in the leg work to organise the location and accommodation. Nor can we when travelling in a small group to these events blame the guy out in front for "taking us this way". We should and need to accept the responsibility of our own actions and not be trying to go blaming others. If that sort of shit starts to happen that will spell the end to any form of future group ride.
I completely agree with you , & I am not suggesting it be an easy option for someone here to take up , but hypothetically if for argument sake  someone had organised a full event or part of an event , & Joe X  hurt himself & became unable to work & support his 6 kids & large house mortgage .............who knows what he might do . Duty of care on behalf of the organiser to provide a safe environment for those attending may come into play .I would like to think we are above that type of thinking , but as already been demonstrated by some of the ridiculous claims in America ( burning their mouth on hot coffee & suing Maccas ..........breaking a leg trying to escape from gaol & suing the govt etc etc )anything is possible .I don't think it should stop anyone from being involved in doing things , but it can happen..................maybe a "joint" decision on what is being planned may be the answer .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7029
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  madmax on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 9:52 pm

@paul wrote:
@madmax wrote:
@paul wrote:
@reddog wrote:What's the definition? I have people occasionally follow me Smile
I think proof of being an organiser of any event like the ones we usually join in on  would be down to the people on the run , and their attitude should things go pear shaped & if money was involved ; if they thought they could shift the blame for ( usually ) their own actions onto someone else & come out on top .................. sad , but a sign of the times I'm afraid ..................there are very few true friends where money is concerned these days . Not everyone granted , but it is becoming a lot more commonplace to shift the responsibility onto someone else .
I think its a bit hard to suggest that anyone of us in the past has been guilty of being an organiser. When we all decide to join up at a national meet and make our way there either singularly or in small groups we can hardly justify the guy who put in the leg work to organise the location and accommodation. Nor can we when travelling in a small group to these events blame the guy out in front for "taking us this way". We should and need to accept the responsibility of our own actions and not be trying to go blaming others. If that sort of shit starts to happen that will spell the end to any form of future group ride.
I completely agree with you , & I am not suggesting it be an easy option for someone here to take up , but hypothetically if for argument sake  someone had organised a full event or part of an event , & Joe X  hurt himself & became unable to work & support his 6 kids & large house mortgage .............who knows what he might do . Duty of care on behalf of the organiser to provide a safe environment for those attending may come into play .I would like to think we are above that type of thinking , but as already been demonstrated by some of the ridiculous claims in America ( burning their mouth on hot coffee & suing Maccas ..........breaking a leg trying to escape from gaol & suing the govt etc etc )anything is possible .I don't think it should stop anyone from being involved in doing things , but it can happen..................maybe a "joint" decision on what is being planned may be the answer .
well that is generally what happens with the rides we have done in the past

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3947
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  barry_mcki on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:04 pm

Trying to get our mob out of bed and on the road all at the same time is anything but organised......

_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1628
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 60
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  reddog on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 8:33 am

Haha with a six year old boy I can understand that comment. 

@Paul if love to drop into coopers brewery mate. The problem is that my wife loves their stout so it'd be an overnighter Smile
avatar
reddog

Posts : 2429
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 39
Location : Allanson WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency Response & First Aid Gear

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum