Left Foot. Right Foot ?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Left Foot. Right Foot ?

Post  Hammy on Tue 25 Aug 2015, 7:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride me bike over to the mainland and back. Was good to get back in the saddle after so long. Anyway. As I was riding through peak hour on the way over, it got me thinking. Stopping at those damn silly red, orange, green light things ( we don't have them or roundabouts on the Rock ) I always put down my right foot. So what you ask . Well . I looked at some other riders and some were putting down the left, and others the right.  The reason I put down the right is so that I have the left on the peg, at the ready for gear changes. I just think that would be natural. I have heard of some guys that use the foot brake on an uphill start as well. I seem to be able to handle that with just the front brake.  How do you guys n gals approach these situations.  By the way. It is now great fun filtering thru all the traffic at the lights, and knowing that you are doing it legally. Twisted Evil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Left Foot. Right Foot ?

Post  Chook on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 10:45 am

@2wheelsagain wrote:
@Hammy wrote:
@paul wrote:
@2wheelsagain wrote:I'm in the car today. I'm going to pull up at the lights and put my right foot down Laughing
I dare you to try your left foot  lol!

I would sooner see him try filtering.  lol! lol!

That would be interesting lol!

It would explain your expression in your avatar pic
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 10:46 am

I did a riding course when I was 19. I was told to always come to a stop using the rear brake and to place the left foot down first. The reason being that if you hit a slippery patch the front will come out from under you. Also told to only use the rear brake whenever in a car park or wherever doing under 20kph for the same reason.
rolls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulsterkiwi on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 1:49 pm

my instruction has always been rear brake for slow speeds, smoother and more controlled. Before I come to a complete stop, I always work my way down to first gear. Left foot down, right foot holds the bike in position. If there is going to be a long wait, and AFTER there is someone behind me at a stop, I snick into neutral which brings on the foot dancing 2WA mentioned. For most cases, left foot down leaves you ready to ready to move and get the hell outta dodge should the need arise. Have moved out of the way a time or two when sleepy commuters are too busy texting to notice traffic is stopped, that kind of thing.

I even practice emergency stops every third day or so where I get up to the 70kph mark on the cul-de-sac coming into home and get hoed into the front brakes and click click click down to first, get the left foot down and am ready to move again straightaway. Thats something I hope to never have to put into actual practice.

Ulsterkiwi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re Left Foot Right Foot

Post  talon440 on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 3:59 pm

@Hammy wrote:
@talon440 wrote:Now that you have raised this subject i really dont know which foot i put down mostly, but then i use both hands for everything i do, sawing, hammereing, wipeing my bum, shaving, cleaning my teeth it doesnt matter and i now realise i dont think about it at the time when i stop, think im like 2WA bit of a shuffle at the lights or on a hill to put it into gear or use back brake to take off, i know i use my back brake alot cause i just replaced the pads after 58000ks front is only half worn, now you have me thinking ill probably fall off at the next set of lights thinking about it.   

Just for the record.   "wipeing ya Bum, and cleaning your teeth"  should never, ever , be put in the same sentence.   pale

thats a bit anal hammy                     lol!
talon440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrighty on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 4:12 pm

Usually right foot

Wrighty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Wed 26 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm

@Hammy wrote:
@talon440 wrote:Now that you have raised this subject i really dont know which foot i put down mostly, but then i use both hands for everything i do, sawing, hammereing, wipeing my bum, shaving, cleaning my teeth it doesnt matter and i now realise i dont think about it at the time when i stop, think im like 2WA bit of a shuffle at the lights or on a hill to put it into gear or use back brake to take off, i know i use my back brake alot cause i just replaced the pads after 58000ks front is only half worn, now you have me thinking ill probably fall off at the next set of lights thinking about it.   

Just for the record.   "wipeing ya Bum, and cleaning your teeth"  should never, ever , be put in the same sentence.   pale
There's usually plenty of water at hand to rinse your tooth brush though .............. Shocked Razz

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:59 am

As a motorcycle safety instructor, I follow the program set out by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation here in the states.  I trained people in their technique, which makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

Coming to a stop, you should always be in 1st gear, allowing for quick getaway in case the cage behind you doesn't look like it's stopping. For the same reason, leave yourself an escape route if behind another vehicle. (Laws here don't allow filtering except in California.)
Always use both brakes to stop, front and rear, for good coordinated braking.
Left foot comes down first while right foot remains on rear brake until fully stopped.  (No duck walking or goose landings) 
After stopping, and making sure there is someone (or two) stopped behind you, you can put the right foot down. If a long light and you need to take it in neutral, this is the time.
Normally though, clutch is in, bike is in 1st gear ready for emergency getaway (keep an eye on the rear-view).

For taking off on hills, foot on rear brake or hand on front brake, roll on throttle and gradually release clutch while gradually releasing brake. (Yes, you can operate the throttle and front brake simultaneously with practice.

All four fingers used on brake and clutch. Why limit your braking power to two fingers, except during trail-braking?
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum