Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade seat modification

3 posters

Go down

seat - Homemade seat modification Empty Homemade seat modification

Post  lacko Sun 21 Jun 2015, 3:11 pm

I haven't been happy with the standard seat on my 1250 since I bought it in January so yesterday i decided to bite the bullet and modify the shape. I took a couple of templates of the seat on my 1100 Katana which has a pretty comfortable seat. I then then took the front section of the seat off, removed most of the staples from the front section and folded the vinyl back. I picked up an electric knife from K-mart and started trimming the seat to a better shape. Once I was happy with the shape I smoothed out the padding with some rough sandpaper, pulled the cover back over, re stapled it back into place and bolted it all back together.

I must say the seat immediately felt much more comfortable and I'm very happy with the results. The top of the seat is now wider so I dont get the pressure points I was getting before. I feel like I'm sitting much more "in" the bike rather than sitting on top. I'm held much better in place while braking  and I'm about an inch closer to the ground. So for a $20 investment and a couple of hours work I'm happy. Heres a couple of photos showing the seat before, the template I used and the shape after cutting.

Phil

seat - Homemade seat modification Img_2911
seat - Homemade seat modification Img_2912
seat - Homemade seat modification Img_2913

lacko

Back to top Go down

seat - Homemade seat modification Empty Re: Homemade seat modification

Post  Bosco15 Sun 21 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

Nice work, Phil. 
It's always good when you have a go at doing a job that would cost if you got someone else to do it and even better when you pull it off with a good result. 
What did you use to re staple the cover?

Back to top Go down

Post  lacko Sun 21 Jun 2015, 3:36 pm

I just used a handyman staple gun with 8mm staples. Once I pulled the cover back in place over the two points at the front of the seat base it pretty much held itself in place but I put a few staples in to keep it from moving around. All I need now is a decent ride to give it a good test.

lacko

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 21 Jun 2015, 10:16 pm

Good work Lacko. Looks like it should be much more comfortable. I reckon the sharp edges on the stock seat is really the issue
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down