Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Embarressing confession and query

+3
rolls
potatomasher
7 posters

Go down

Embarressing confession and query Empty Embarressing confession and query

Post  1952 Thu 26 Aug 2010, 5:33 pm

On my most recent ride I pulled in and filled up with fuel at a little Adelaide Hills township - got back on and couldn't get started! Tried 2 or 3 times and then pushed the Bandit over to one side and put it up on its centre stand. 4 more goes - jiggled the keys in the lock , checked that the side-stand was up (put it down and up a few times and made sure it was pressing the safety button), and confirmed I had neutral and the clutch pulled in. Got so upset I rang the dealer! (Being Sunday I knew I would only be able to leave a message - fortunately I was very polite!). Was about to ring the wife to come and get me when I had another think about how the whole starting safely process was set out in the manual - Idea could I have knocked the 'kill switch'?
Flicked it to its other position and everything was back to normal cheers
I don't know if I unconsciously flicked the kill switch off when I got off the bike to put fuel in - or if I somehow knocked it off confused

Question:

Has anyone hit the kill switch deliberately when riding. If so, what happened? Anything drastic? Any problems re-starting? I don't want to be a guinea-pig and try it. Has it happened to anyone accidentally?

Back to top Go down

Embarressing confession and query Empty Re: Embarressing confession and query

Post  potatomasher Thu 26 Aug 2010, 7:47 pm

doh!

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Fri 27 Aug 2010, 7:07 am

Yes, been there done that. I was allowed to have my first motorbike when I turned 14, a '76 Yamaha AG175. Riding out the back of Mt Jerrabomberra (the hill overlooking Queanbeyan) after school, on my 4th or 5th ride on it, I stopped about 3km into the ride for a pee. After getting back on and still being dizzy with excitement and thinking I was something out of Mad Max (on an AG bike), I tried to kick it over. I tried for at least ten minutes straight. I tried all sorts of throttle positions, and on a hot afternoon I was getting f^%$ing hot.

I was a fairly proficient mechanic even then. I'd had the bike for just over two weeks by then and had dismantled near everything on it to check the wear status including taking the piston out to clean it (but not replacing the rings), and once my dad was satisfied it was fairly reliable I was allowed out to the scrub around town. I didn't have any tools on me that day so I checked what I could -and- kept kicking, and kicking and kicking. Not even a cough out of it.

I pushed it home, for what seemed like hours with a pretty good hill in between. By the time I got home I was a physical and emotional wreck. I was gutted all the next day at school. As soon as I was home I went straight to the shed, carefully went through the start up procedure and it started first kick. I straight away figured out what a dill I'd been and I haven't done it again since. But I am only young Wink

In my later teen years I had a string of big two strokes, YZ465h, YZ490l, YZ490n x2. I used to use the kill switch on all of them for compression breaking. Going down a hill on a two stroke, when you back the throttle off there is no more fuel, and therefore no oil getting to the engine. A long hill at high speed isn't too good for them, so I would hit the kill switch and roll the throttle according to how much braking I wanted. It might work on fuel injected bikes if the injection is cut as well, otherwise it would be the same as on carburated bikes - you'd fill the exhaust with unburnt fuel and risk bending a valve if it back fires when the switch is put back on. Very messy on a two stroke.

Last edited by rolls on Fri 27 Aug 2010, 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot shit.)
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Fri 27 Aug 2010, 8:58 am

We used to play this trick on our mates when riding with them in a group(trailbikes), as we overtook we'd reach over and hit their killswitch. They'd slow down real quick! Great fun and you'd soon learn to protect your own killswitch when someone was overtaking.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 27 Aug 2010, 9:07 am

I had an episode with the B1250 one afternoon.
I rode to the shops on my way home from work about a year ago and upon returning it wouldn’t turn over.
As is allowed in Vic we can park on the footpath and as usual I parked outside the shopping centre doors perfectly legal and legit (unlike others who flout the privilege).
I never use the kill switch and never even checked it until my then wife came to pick me up so I could trailer it home. It appears someone had come out of the shops and had a fiddle with the switches as the kill switch was "off" and high beam was "on". Its not the first time someone has sat on my bike or fiddled with it and if I catch anyone doing it they will get a size 12 where it hurts regardless of age.

So when a ZZR250 riding wife who you taught to ride turns up (in a Commodore) and says first off "have you checked the kill switch?" you feel pretty embarrassed.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 27 Aug 2010, 10:03 am

I haven't had that happen to me. But my wife has. She'd picked our youngest up from school and rang me in a panic because the M750 wouldn't start. It wouldn't even click over, but there was power. I asked if it was in neutral, sidestand up, petrol in the tank etc etc. "Yes of course it was, I'm not stupid you know, I do work in a bike shop you know". I said I'd be there in 15. Not a minute later she rings me back and I can hear M750 burbling away. Before I could saying anything she said "Shut-up, don't bother, I've got it going, I don't want to talk about it" and hung up.

When I got home I asked our youngest about it and he said "Mum forgot about the red button. I laughed at her, now I'm grounded".

Flicking the kill switch on and off (or is it off and on) while riding creates a massive noise as the bike back fires back to life. I've seen a police ST1100 (yes it was a few years ago) produce a nice set of flames out the back doing this. While looking and sounding quite impressive, I don't think I'd recommend it.

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Fri 27 Aug 2010, 10:45 pm

I had a 1985 XR 250 about 15years ago and used a padlock on the front disk brake to lock it up. One day in the main street with alot of people around i forgot to remove the f***ing thing, with the padlock at the top of the disk the wheel would go all the way around before it would hit the caliper.
So over the handlebars i go, broke off the caliper, bent the bars, droped the bike.
And one very long slow ride home with my head in my lap.

pretty embarrassed BIG TIME

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Embarressing confession and query Empty Enjoyed the responses

Post  1952 Sat 28 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

Appreciated everyone's feedback and shared incidents - although I grimaced painfully at Reardo's experience with the lock on the caliper Sad Oww! (and that puts an end to any plan I had to use the same method as a cheap anti-theft approach - I also would forget about it for sure!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 28 Aug 2010, 5:21 pm

Haha. I still get in embarrassed when i tell people, lucky i was pissed when i posted it. LOL. That was the last time i locked a disk brake thats for sure. tho i got a really heavy duty padlock to go through the rear sprocket and around the chain. BUT forgot it it was on again, it was no match for a teenage Reardo and the XR250, SHATTERED IT like glass lol!

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down