Rearranging the furniture...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rearranging the furniture...

Post  NTBill on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:17 am

Cost of living in the NT is biting me harder these days, and with $840 combined rego and CTPI costs + comp insurance, servicing etc etc per bike per year, I'm changing my wants. 2 bikes will become 1, and it's not a Bandit.

I've loved the all road versatility and flickability of my Bavarian F650(800)GS but also the freight train torque, comfort, honesty and reliability of my GSX1250FA. 

The FA puts a smile on the dial every time, but I still want / need reasonable dirt road capability (70% of our roads are still unpaved).

So.... I'm selling them both Sad Sad and turning them into a new DL1000 A.  I'd never have considered a Strom in the past (well, not the Thou)  but this new model hit a chord. It seems an AWSOME bike that fits my riding style like a glove and the changeover price 2 for new isn't too painful.

Gotta say, this group has been one of the best aspects of owning a Bandit, and I hope I'm still welcome to lurk in the background..8)Cool

Bill.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rearranging the furniture...

Post  paul on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:37 am

Feel free to Lurk Bill , & enjoy your new bike  Very Happy

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:38 am

NTBill wrote:Cost of living in the NT is biting me harder these days, and with $840 combined rego and CTPI costs + comp insurance, servicing etc etc per bike per year, I'm changing my wants. 2 bikes will become 1, and it's not a Bandit.

I've loved the all road versatility and flickability of my Bavarian F650(800)GS but also the freight train torque, comfort, honesty and reliability of my GSX1250FA. 

The FA puts a smile on the dial every time, but I still want / need reasonable dirt road capability (70% of our roads are still unpaved).

So.... I'm selling them both Sad Sad and turning them into a new DL1000 A.  I'd never have considered a Strom in the past (well, not the Thou)  but this new model hit a chord. It seems an AWSOME bike that fits my riding style like a glove and the changeover price 2 for new isn't too painful.

Gotta say, this group has been one of the best aspects of owning a Bandit, and I hope I'm still welcome to lurk in the background..8)Cool

Bill.
You're not the 1st to dump the Bandit and still want to be a part of this site, at least you'll still have a big S on the tank Wink

Just putting the feelers out at the moment to all the WA and NT members, how far (if at all) would you be willing to ride to attend a National meet in the future, Flinders Ranges? Adelaide? Grampians? Further?
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

WE SHOULD START A SPECIAL "LURKERS " GROUP.  Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 10:54 am

I've read good reports on that new Vstrom, and one guy down here has one - you should have a blast on it.  I'm also drawn to the idea of having some better dirt road capability.  If I ever decide to update the Bandit I'll be taking an adventure-tourer for a test ride. cheers
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 11:05 am

Ewok1958 wrote: If I ever decide to update the Bandit I'll be taking an adventure-tourer for a test ride. cheers
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 11:10 am

Hammy wrote:WE SHOULD START A SPECIAL "LURKERS " GROUP.  Suspect

I thought you were a "special lurker" Hammy Very Happy
barry_mcki

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 3:12 pm

Good luck with the new bike Bill. Have you any aftermarket bits that you are willing to offload to those that still own a Bandit?

BTW did you try the weestrom out?
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill on Sat 07 Feb 2015, 4:36 pm

W
reddog wrote:Good luck with the new bike Bill. Have you any aftermarket bits that you are willing to offload to those that still own a Bandit?

BTW did you try the weestrom out?
No didn't try the 650 Reddog. 
I do a lot of highway riding, and while the Wee650 is good, I like the bigger torque and Hp of the new thou to help get past road trains etc... quick.  The new DL mill puts out 103 hp and around 100Nm of torque but the torque peaks at a low 4000 RPM (about 2500 rpm lower than the previous DL model) so is a more familiar feel to the range of the bandit.

I was also offered a demo 2014 KTM1190 Adv that's on sale at the dealer up here. 7000kms on the dial and comes  with ALL the fruit including panniers, all the crash bars, skid plates etc etc, 150hp and 128NM of torque, multi maps, traction control, electronic suspension, tyre pressure displays, heaters bla bla, $16,980! Works out cheaper than a new fully kitted DL1000, and interestingly, is actually slightly heavier than the DL (suzuki have done well this time).

I was so close to being completely seduced.

Then I engaged the brain again, realised the KTM would be like having a fling with a supermodel,  well beyond my league, I'd be unable to keep it happy for long, she'd remove my licence and be high maintenance-  would eventually spit me out and it'd all end in tears. bom 

bikes are my every day transport, I need loyalty and reliability. I'm not certain the Katoom would deliver long term. Would have been a wild ride tho. Twisted Evil 

It's still there if anyones salivating badly for an 1190. You'll find it on Bikepoint and I reckon it's about the cheapest you'll  find considering the as new condition and accessories going with it. 

The only a/market bit I've got ( that I never used) is the ZG Touring screen (light smoke tint) it's still in its box never used. The story's on this forum somewhere, but in a nutshell,  it took so long to arrive I'd ended up modifying my own MRA Vario to better suit my needs, it worked well, so no need for the ZG. I also have one original screen, one original muffler and 4 x secondary butterflies... haha.

The ZG will most likely go with the bike when I eventually sell it unless anyone's looking for one in the mean time. 

Bill.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:58 pm

Still lurking....but also very much enjoying the new tourer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:12 pm

Nice ride, Bill. 
Suzuki's reliability will pay off in the long run over the "Keep Throwing Money"
I think that you made the right choice.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:13 pm

Quite a pretty place ..............glad the new bike worked out well for you

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm

Hope so Bosco. I've been amazed how good a bike the Bandit's been from a reliability perspective compared with my Bavarian which saw so many warranty,  recall and service campaigns forcing it back to the dealer during the early ownership days. 

The newly revamped DL1000 mill is a delight with its peak torque down low (4000rpm) in a sweet handling package of 220kg (wet) which is lighter than both the current KTM1190 and the Bavarian R1200GS. Suzuki have done it well. 

Paul, it's a place called Fogg Dam, out on the Arnhem Hwy on the way to Kakadu about an hour from Darwin. A failed rice growing project from the 60s (native Magpie Geese ate all the rice) and now home to one of the world's most concentrated population of Pythons, huge numbers of birds and has its share of crocodiles. It's now a conservation reserve. Anyone visiting Darwin should put it on their list. few people do, but it's always worth a visit.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum