Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Owner. 2008

+3
Chook
paul
braza
7 posters

Go down

New Owner. 2008  Empty New Owner. 2008

Post  braza Thu 29 Jan 2015, 10:45 pm

Howdy, just down from Cairns. I have been lurking round here for a couple of months. Picked up some good tips cheers. Before I left I bought a 2008 GSF1250SA.  43000 klms.  Bought off mate, so mates rates.  I know he would of given it a bit of a caning but also plenty of maintenance. Has Wilbers rear shock.
It just arrived from Cairns and i took it for a spin and it is running rough. I wiped the inside of the pipe and it is dry black soot. Running too rich i think.
I can do all the filters and oil change myself. New chain and sprockets.  Just wondering where i should take it in sydney to give it a bit of TLC.
Should i do the clearances at 43000. ?  Not sure.  I guess i just want the fuel mix fixed and what ever else they can do to tune it.
Sorry for all the questions straight up on first post here.
So because I got the Bandit at the right price I am prepared to spent a bit to give her a bit of a birthday.I dont know any trustworthy mechanics in Sydney yet.
I also have a Hyosung gt 650. Got the clearances done and carbies tuned before i left. $600.00. 
Howdy again and thanks for any help. Cheers.  Braz.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

New Owner. 2008  Empty Re: New Owner. 2008

Post  paul Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forum braza ...........sorry , I'm in Adelaide , but I'm sure one of the Sydney lads will recommend somebody for the tune up ( valves are @ 24,000 km intervals ) Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  braza Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:06 pm

thanks Paul. Ya i dont mind paying as long as the job is done professionally. I am not in the position to do it myself and not knowledgable enough with

bandit engine tunes.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 30 Jan 2015, 5:53 am

paul wrote:Welcome to the forum braza ...........sorry , I'm in Adelaide , but I'm sure one of the Sydney lads will recommend somebody 
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 8:00 am

Welcome aboard braza. I don't think I've heard of a 1250 running rough - maybe a plug change is required (but I hear what you're saying about carbon).  When were the plugs last changed?  The servicing interval specifies a change at 12,000kms.  It's also possible that the fuel filter needs to be changed and the screen in the pump assemble cleaned - see the sticky on fuel pump fix in Mechanical.  Apart from those, a throttle body balance may be required to make sure all four cylinders are getting fed properly.  Cheers.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:22 am

Welcome aboard.
ULP of any description produces black soot.
Can you describe "rough running" and each of us can have a guess at what you should do Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  braza Fri 30 Jan 2015, 2:14 pm

ok i will try and describe.  I had the bikes trucked down from Cairns. Arrived yesterday arvo. When i took the bandit out last night for a run up the freeway. it felt like a fuel blockage or water in carby.

Loosing power for a second then picking up again at lower rev's, then once i twisted the throttle more, say above 2500 revs it was ok.

Rode it to work and back today and seems alot better. Still seems to be a bit of a delay for the power to come on when open throttle.

I just put a new yoshimura r77 on. Would that effect running. ( by the way i have a brand new 2 brothers (carbon ) for bandit if anyone is interested. )

So looking for mechanic. I need 2 road worthies and nsw plates on both bikes now.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Braza. 
Should've bought a bike from the forum that has been sorted and looked after and was a lot closer. Doh! 
Never buy bikes or cars from a friend, imo. It can ruin a good friendship.

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 30 Jan 2015, 3:40 pm

Just run a full tank through the bike and put fresh fuel in first. You can also put a capful of method in the tank in case it has picked up some water. If it still does it after this id be looking to clean the fuel filter as per Gus' write up on this forum.

The exhaust wouldn't effect running unless you've modified the airbox in which case it will be running lean. It still should not be exhibiting these types of fueling problem.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  braza Fri 30 Jan 2015, 7:53 pm

Thanks for all the hints. Will try them all. Going to do all i can myself then off the mechanic.  So no recommendations yet. There must be a couple of decent

bike mechanics in Sydney. Going to go for run tomorrow.  Not sure whether to go north or south. That should get a tank or two of 98 through.

I will try and remember. Dont talk politics or religion in the pub and dont buy bikes off mates. But really $3000 is a good price for a 2008. I dont think

the tuning issues are that bad. Bike is in pretty good nick. I think the wilbers are a grand on there own.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 30 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Sound approach Braza. My only concern is that if it is the fuel pump, then mechanics may not have our familiarity with the problem.  Especially the cleaning and scrubbing of the mesh screen.  So it is worth following Gus' thread and doing the clean and replacing the t-bag filter yourself.

I did that but my problem continued to the point that the engine would not pull past 4000rpm.  So I bought a cheap pump off e-bay and pulled the pump assembly apart a second time and replaced the pump.  In that whole process I replaced the plugs and air-filter as well but it was the pump that had failed. Fuel pumps can be bought from ~$50 of ebay and my cheapie has been performing well for over 20,000kms.  Suzuki dealers will hit you up $700 or so for the same thing - don't get fleeced if you go down this path.

So, by all means, change the plugs and aircleaner and get the TBs balanced.  Replace the t-bag filter in the fuel pump assembly and scrub the mesh screen.  If all that fails, get a $50 pump from ebay and install it yourself.  It's a bit daunting at first, particularly when you have the pump assembly in your hands and realise you have to pull it apart, but pretty straightforward.

Cheers and good luck. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  braza Fri 30 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Thanks Ewok. My other bike gets down from Cairns on the 10 th so i will be able to lay the Bandit up for a while and do some work on her.

I have read that sticky on the fuel pumps and the mess screen. cheers.  This bandit is no oil painting but i would really like it A1 mechanically.

Mate chook who i bought it off had too many XXXX gold cans one night and attacked the fairing with a hot knife. Only bit left is the screen and 

headlight surround. Will put some new pilot 4's on and might look at changing the fork oil.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 30 Jan 2015, 9:15 pm

Do you have a manual for reference?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  braza Fri 30 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

ya thanks two wheels.  I saw the sticky here a while back and downloaded it. cheers.
braza
braza

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down