Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

introduction to forum

+4
Kiwisteve
paul
Chook
DRAY
8 posters

Go down

introduction to forum Empty introduction to forum

Post  DRAY Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:44 am

Gday fellas, my name is Ondre people call me all sorts of things but I prefer Dray. I am new to the forum, hope this is the right place for introduction.
I ran into a mate of mine the other day ( some of you might know) Jimbo or Jimmy the Boy as he's known on the forum, good bloke , anyway I told him I'm looking to buy a Bandit. I live in Wagga. It's taken me 7 years and three kids to finally convince the Mrs I need another steed. Mainly ridden dirtbikes as a young bloke had a Gs 600 as a commuter for a while, but as I'm nearly 40 the mid life crisis is kicking in and Im gunna do it.

I have been looking at Bandits for a while, rode a couple , but still not sure what to get. At he moment I am leaning towards
the 1250S, there are a couple that cought my eye on bikepoint: Reference code:

SSE-AD-3033022 '08 with 20.5kliks, $6500 (Narre Warren Vic.)

SSE-AD-3176678 '09 with 23.8km, $6700 (Pakenham, Vic)

I was wondering if any members can give some advice as to ;

Is this the right money to be paying ?, my budget is up to 6 grand( I know it depends a lot on extra mods etc), what are the questions to ask seller, what are the musts the bike should have eg aftermarket muffler etc.
Basically any leads, info. or advice is most welcome.
Is anyone selling one on the forum?
Cheers
Dray

DRAY

Back to top Go down

introduction to forum Empty Re: introduction to forum

Post  Chook Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:16 pm

Welcome Dray

Mods are a individual thing IMO, otehr than a radiator gaurd (made for $10 myself) and a seat cover, my 1250S is stock and I'm happy with it, others want to rebuild them from the ground up, I'd like another can but have had more important things to spend $$ on so it'll have to wait.

As for price, keep looking around, unless it's a real bargain to start with never settle for the asking price, start offers low, you can always come up in price
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Dray.................both bikes look like they would be good buys , but as Chook said , you could always put in offers first & check the bikes history out as well . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sat 10 Jan 2015, 1:44 pm

G'day Dray, welcome along.
Don't go past the older 1200's either. I have an 06 1200, it was the last of the old air cooled motor, but has the 07 onward frame & body work. Great bike
You can have mine for the right offer,,,,, after the Parkes forum meet.

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 10 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

Welcome to the Forum Dray.

Just off the adds I'd go with the '09, more value for money with the added extras. (a few thou extra in k's means nothing in real terms)

Of course the final decision can only come after a proper inspection and test ride

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 10 Jan 2015, 4:18 pm

Always do a PPSR (Personal Property Security Register) search on any 2nd hand vehicle you intend to buy

http://www.ppsr.gov.au/Pages/ppsr.aspx
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 10 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

Welcome aboard. 
Pricing used is difficult but my theory that has served me well is that unless any mod is exactly what I would do it has NO value. 
If buying from Melb put the word out and someone may be able to have a quick look before you travel down. I've done that and had someone do that for me. It takes some of the emotion out of it and sorts out if a bike is really for sale. 

I know the dealer who finished up with my 07 with 45k on the clock had $6000 on it.

No listen closely.  You can buy a lot of bike from several manufacturers for 6 - 6.5k so don't rush.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 10 Jan 2015, 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Dray.  Here's a few points I made in another "Introduce Yourself" post so I've just copied and pasted them.  But I'd support the radiator guard as the first after-market accessory to add if it doesn't already have one.  Cans are largely a matter of taste and I'm sure you won't notice any changes in power/torque with just a can change.  One thing I noticed I missed below - the 1250s headlight is a joke and if you're going to do night riding, you'll need to look at mods.  cheers cheers

Things that you might find:
- seat might be uncomfortable.  Some find the Bandit seat uncomfy, others not, so it is pretty much an individual thing. I've done 66,500kms on mine and find it ok (not brilliant).
- fuel pump may fail.  Seems lots do on the Bandit.  Haven't heard of an FA having a pump failure.  I've put in a cheap (seriously, $50) one from the US off eBay and its working fine (touch wood).  They are simple to replace but Suzuki will hit you up about $700 if you take such a problem to an authorised dealer.  Gus has done a good thread, with pics, on cleaning and replacing the Bandit pump unit.
- surging or non-smooth running is sometimes reported at low revs.  Out of balance throttle bodies will produce this effect and a TB balance should be the first thing to get done if you experience it. 
- paint quality is probably not as good as Honda/Yamaha/Kawa/BMW etc but that's why you're not paying as much.
- she's a tad heavy but there's FA you can do about that!  Ok, changing the can will save a few kgs.
- bleeding the ABS brakes seem to be an art, not a science.  Some members have actually gotten deteriorated braking after installing braided lines. You might be happy with the standard brakes for everyday riding - they're ok, not brilliant (but they are working against a heavy bike).

There are many things that come down to personal taste so I'll leave all of them out of this response.  Others might like to add.

That is about it!  The Bandit/FA is extremely reliable, easy to maintain, pulls like a loco, has good engine braking, gets decent fuel economy & chain/sprocket life, puts a smile on your face, and has a great forum.

PS: check out the meeting at Parkes in March next year - hope to see you there.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm

here's my 2 bobs worth.
The 1250s is great value for money, you can pick one up with low km's & many extras for 6 - 6.5k, I paid 6.5k for my '09 model in March '14. It had 26k on the clock with a heap of add-ons. Heated grips, radiator guard, gear indicator, mirror extenders, Yoshi TRS can, headlight guard, Ventura rack & bag, new front tyre.
The good thing about these bikes is that most owners have not thrashed them so you would be real unlucky to purchase a bad one.

I fitted a Sargent seat as we do a lot of two up riding & my wife was not happy with the original seat.

Also if you weigh more than 80kg, you will need to get some work done on front shocks, I put in 1kg springs & had damper mods done by a suspension guy to stop the nose diving under braking.
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  DRAY Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

G'day

Mnay thanks to all for awsome response. Interesting point about brakes last one that I looked at in Sydney the owner just had the brakes replaced and mentioned they weren't as good as before, also another one I looked at last month ('05 1200)had the idle surge happening, good to know it can be common. I' ll definitely do the  PPSR check especially after reading about the stolen Bandit. Interesting points about various mods. thanks spanna for letting us know what you got for your $. I was a bit reluctant to look at ones with over 40000km, but I guess for a big donk its not that much. Thanks for the invite to Parkes, if I don't have a ride by then I'll get  Jimmy the boy from Wagga to check out Kiwisteve's. In the mean time I'll keep looking, I'm going down to Melbourne next month hopefully have time to look at some, if there is anyone downthere that might want to check the two from my previous post (bike piont ref.) that would be great. Any other leads or more info. is always appreciated.
 Cheers
Dray

DRAY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down