Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 11:07 am

I'm thinking of taking the bike down to Tasmania sometime in November, and am looking at the route options to get to Port Melbourne.

Is it worth the ride / extra time to go through Bombala and Orbost?

Once you get past, say, Sale, is the traffic slow, and what is the best road option to get into Port Melbourne from that direction?

I'll be loaded up, so filtering probably won't be an option.

Thanks in advance.

I note also that google maps has Orbost almost exactly half way, 370km then 372km, and the time for each half as almost the same (ie 4.5 hours each). Seems a bit not quite right.... thoughts?

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Dekenai on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:13 pm

Its a good ride.  Most options leave you with a boring run out of Sale.  Can recommend CBR - Yass - Gundagai - Tumut - Tumbarumba - Jingellic - Mt. Beauty - Mt Hotham - Omeo - Bairnsdale - Sale etc.  Or CBR - Cooma - Bombala - Cann River etc.  Watch out for the fuzz around Omeo.
avatar
Dekenai

Posts : 797
Join date : 2009-09-02
Location : Tuggers, ACT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Truck bandit on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm

This route is a good day ride and 7 - 8 hours would be expected.

The first part to Orbost will be the best with great sweepers and roads through National Parks.

Around Bairnsdale, Sale, Traralgon,Pakenham there is plenty of overtaking available through straight stretches or overtaking lanes. It's not as boring as it would seem.

On the way into Melbourne it's fine to be on the motorway as it is smooth roads and will take you into the heart of Melbourne.

From there it's a small hop, step and jump through Albert Park (yep, the F1 track) and you're at St Kilda and the port terminal.

Enjoy the ride and the people you'll meet along the way.

_________________
Truck bandit Suspect
avatar
Truck bandit

Posts : 165
Join date : 2013-04-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:24 pm

If you want some company from Bombala through to Traralgon mate I'll be happy to join you.  But not if it's the 12th as wifey has plans for our wedding anniversary. Obviously the Princes Hwy is the most direct and fastest route but there are options - except they add time, which you might not have.  Even the Bombala-Orbost route is slower than the Bombala-Cann River-Orbost route, but has about 600 more corners!
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 60
Location : Bega, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:26 pm

Thanks.

7-8 hours is better than what google says, which is nice.

Possibly could do that in a day... start early and have to be at the boat by around 6.....

Most I've done on the bike in a day is about 5-6 hours so far.... I guess if the road is interesting that makes for more "sustainable" riding, right?

_________________
Fast red one.
06 1200.
Loud little Delkevic muffler.
Much antisocial.
Dale Walker Stage 2 bits with K&N air pod things.
Wool seat cover for nomoresorebum.

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:34 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote:If you want some company from Bombala through to Traralgon mate I'll be happy to join you.  But not if it's the 12th as wifey has plans for our wedding anniversary. Obviously the Princes Hwy is the most direct and fastest route but there are options - except they add time, which you might not have.  Even the Bombala-Orbost route is slower than the Bombala-Cann River-Orbost route, but has about 600 more corners!

Cool. I'll let you know when I make my mind up.... guess I'd better start booking kids into the boarding kennel.

It will defiinitely be after the 12th.... uni exam period is up until the 24th, and of course they don't tell you when your exams will be until the end of October.... Who needs to make plans anyway study   scratch

Def want to try the extra 600 corners.... getting a bit embarrassing only riding on the middle of the tyre.... prob don't want to add any more time to the journey on top of that... next time!

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  madmax on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

If its a weekday then you'll be traveling in peak hour. Melbourne can become gridlock during peak hours. Even the freeways & tollways turn into car parks.  Traffic starts building from 3pm onwards.
If your not filtering then you may prefer to come in and through the southern suburbs and head up Beach road to Station Pier.

Unless of course its a weekend then your better off sticking to the freeways/tollways
map link

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and get to the pier as early as possible or you'll end up at the back of a massive queue

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4116
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 1:46 pm

@madmax wrote:If its a weekday then you'll be traveling in peak hour. Melbourne can become gridlock during peak hours. Even the freeways & tollways turn into car parks.  Traffic starts building from 3pm onwards.
If your not filtering then you may prefer to come in and through the southern suburbs and head up Beach road to Station Pier.

Unless of course its a weekend then your better off sticking to the freeways/tollways
map link

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and get to the pier as early as possible or you'll end up at the back of a massive queue


Good tip. Saturday or Sunday it is, then.

Planning the timing is like a bloody mini jigsaw puzzle Shocked

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  2wheelsagain on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 3:19 pm

Let me know too and I might be able to meet you somewhere up east and escort you to Traralgon for example.

Do not usder any circumstances take the South Gippsland Highway or any roads through South Gippsland for that matter.

The Princes Hwy is fine west of Sale and you have a bike that laughs at traffic no matter how heavy it is and I find the M1 ok in peak hour/s but I try to avoid it if I can.

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6305
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 54
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  barry_mcki on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 4:18 pm

Once you get to Port Melbourne and eventually to God's country here are a couple of hints/tips:

People start lining up for the boat pretty early especially weekends (Fridays included).  The traffic coming up Beach St can get pretty busy so I've found coming into the Waterfront Pl roundabout easier if you come down Princes St.  There are a couple of coffee shops around, but depending on the day they might be closed.  

There is a spot on the right of the boom gates where bikes park off the street, unfortunately my sidecar can't fit between the bollards.  The staff will usually let bikes go through to the front, have your ticket/receipt and photo ID handy in a front pocket or tank bag.  



On the ferry the deck hands are pretty good tieing down the bikes, but they will let you do your own if you are concerned.  Parking is in the middle between the rows of cars.  You can't get back to the vehicle deck once sailing, so have an overnight pack ready.  Remember which stairwell and level you're on.

Off loading is a lot faster at Devonport (actually so is loading for that matter).  Don't bring any fresh fruit with you, they are also concerned about fishing gear if you have been to NZ, some form of fresh water algae.  There are a couple of restraunts just past the ferry gates that do an early morning breakfast that's not too bad.

Tassie now has unmarked speed camera cars, they are usually medium to dark SUV's, the camera is an outside tripod mounted unit, they are pretty good at hiding themselves round corners and over brows of hills.  Unmarked cop cars as well as the marked versions and bikes are more common these days as well.  There are even a couple of white police "dog trailer" type camera units that are surprisingly difficult to see even though they don't make any attempt to hide them. I think only Hobart has traffic cameras, but like blackberry bushes I'm sure they'll start spreading.

Local Tassie drivers drive a little bit slower than the big smoke mainlanders, but most roads have good over taking places, L's and P's restricted to 80kph even on the major roads that are 110kph.  As usual watch for the 4wds coming round bends on your side of the road.  November should be okay weather wise, fogs should be well gone, rain shouldn't be too bad, and the winds should be pretty mild as well.

Tons to see and good riding almost everywhere.  There's a stretch on the west coast that's just been reopened from Arthur River to Zeehan via the Corinna Ferry (C249), its not paved but I took a new XR8 along it a couple of years ago, so on a bike it would be fun.  It's a white road made of tailings from a silcia mine, 7 3/4hrs for 194km according to Google maps.  Watch for bee hives as you get into the forest.

Send us a PM if you want to drop in for a brew and chat, have fun.

_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  madmax on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 4:56 pm

@barry_mcki wrote:  The staff will usually let bikes go through to the front.

They didn't for us in Melbourne, but they did in Devonport.

As you say Devonport was much better in loading and unloading.

One other thing stu don't carry any extra fuel or even empty used fuel containers. You wont need them anyway.
They are pretty strict with searching the cars but for bikes they just rattle off a list of banned items to the rider.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4116
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 4:27 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote:If you want some company from Bombala through to Traralgon mate I'll be happy to join you.  But not if it's the 12th as wifey has plans for our wedding anniversary. Obviously the Princes Hwy is the most direct and fastest route but there are options - except they add time, which you might not have.  Even the Bombala-Orbost route is slower than the Bombala-Cann River-Orbost route, but has about 600 more corners!

Due to "time constraints" I'm gonna ride to Melb via the Hume... 

But I might come back the "slow" fun way... will let you know. Smile

Will be on a Saturday ferry. Good friend waiting for me on his beemer at the other end Smile

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Ewok1958 on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

No worries stu. Have a great time in Tassie.  cheers
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 60
Location : Bega, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  2wheelsagain on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

Let me know for the return trip. I can run to Bombala etc with you.  Will need a day or so's notice.

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6305
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 54
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  barry_mcki on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

Call in for a brew if you are heading out Launceston way, PM me for address.

Don't get too bored on the Hume, safe riding.

_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 4:29 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote:No worries stu. Have a great time in Tassie.  cheers

Thanks, I will. You have a great wedding anniversary Smile

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Ewok1958 on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:37 pm

Surprised Surprised scratch
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 60
Location : Bega, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:40 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote: But not if it's the 12th as wifey has plans for our wedding anniversary. 


This what is puzzling you?

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Ewok1958 on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Yeh stu, I forgot I posted that! Cheers.
avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3842
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 60
Location : Bega, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Kiwisteve on Thu 13 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

@Ewok1958 wrote:Yeh stu, I forgot I posted that!  Cheers.

The red sometimes does that! Razz

_________________
2006 1200s
Fast red one Very Happy
Delkevic can
Cruise n Comfort seat cover
avatar
Kiwisteve

Posts : 1419
Join date : 2012-01-25
Age : 55
Location : Coffs Coast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 5:03 pm

@barry_mcki wrote:Once you get to Port Melbourne and eventually to God's country here are a couple of hints/tips:

People start lining up for the boat pretty early especially weekends (Fridays included).  The traffic coming up Beach St can get pretty busy so I've found coming into the Waterfront Pl roundabout easier if you come down Princes St.  There are a couple of coffee shops around, but depending on the day they might be closed.  

There is a spot on the right of the boom gates where bikes park off the street, unfortunately my sidecar can't fit between the bollards.  The staff will usually let bikes go through to the front, have your ticket/receipt and photo ID handy in a front pocket or tank bag.  



On the ferry the deck hands are pretty good tieing down the bikes, but they will let you do your own if you are concerned.  Parking is in the middle between the rows of cars.  You can't get back to the vehicle deck once sailing, so have an overnight pack ready.  Remember which stairwell and level you're on.

Off loading is a lot faster at Devonport (actually so is loading for that matter).  Don't bring any fresh fruit with you, they are also concerned about fishing gear if you have been to NZ, some form of fresh water algae.  There are a couple of restraunts just past the ferry gates that do an early morning breakfast that's not too bad.

Tassie now has unmarked speed camera cars, they are usually medium to dark SUV's, the camera is an outside tripod mounted unit, they are pretty good at hiding themselves round corners and over brows of hills.  Unmarked cop cars as well as the marked versions and bikes are more common these days as well.  There are even a couple of white police "dog trailer" type camera units that are surprisingly difficult to see even though they don't make any attempt to hide them. I think only Hobart has traffic cameras, but like blackberry bushes I'm sure they'll start spreading.

Local Tassie drivers drive a little bit slower than the big smoke mainlanders, but most roads have good over taking places, L's and P's restricted to 80kph even on the major roads that are 110kph.  As usual watch for the 4wds coming round bends on your side of the road.  November should be okay weather wise, fogs should be well gone, rain shouldn't be too bad, and the winds should be pretty mild as well.

Tons to see and good riding almost everywhere.  There's a stretch on the west coast that's just been reopened from Arthur River to Zeehan via the Corinna Ferry (C249), its not paved but I took a new XR8 along it a couple of years ago, so on a bike it would be fun.  It's a white road made of tailings from a silcia mine, 7 3/4hrs for 194km according to Google maps.  Watch for bee hives as you get into the forest.

Send us a PM if you want to drop in for a brew and chat, have fun.

Thanks for all this, very helpful.

I'll be on a Friday ferry.  What time is reasonable to start queuing?

I am going into Launceston next Saturday to see an old girlfriend (and her family)... I see you are a little way out.... will give you a bell if I'm in the vicinity.... looks like a nice spot.

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  barry_mcki on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:12 pm

It's a 7pm sailing, the gates open 2 1/2 hrs prior, i.e. 5:30pm.  Cars and vans will start lining the parking areas from lunch onwards, then start slipping onto the road about 5pm (maybe a little earlier).  

If you park your bike up on the right side just before the boom gates you should be able to sneak in the line up pretty soon after they lift the boom.  They've taken lessons from the theme parks as far as queue management, so the actual lineup goes up and down the whole length of Station Pier.  Depending on how the loadies are going you could be stuck in the queue a fair while, half the pier is not undercover (just another tidbit in case the weather is not being cooperative), but usually its not too bad a wait.  There can be a lot of stop/starting, so I just turned the bike off and pushed it when the line was only moving one car length at a time.  They don't seem to mind if you don't wear your helmet whilst in line, but I'd stick it back on going up the main ramp.  Remember you'll need your ticket paperwork (or booking reference) plus a photo ID/Licence, best to have this out before you get to the ticket office - this is definately where a tank bag comes in handy.

Hope the weather is good for your trip, I'll PM you my address and phone details if you want to stop in for a cuppa, have a great time.


_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  stu on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:01 pm

anyone got any thoughts re security of stuff on bike on the ferry....?

ie should I take everything that isn't locked with me to the room? Or would it be cool if I left my tent etc tied to the bike (security free)?

Dumb question, but....

stu

Posts : 264
Join date : 2013-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  madmax on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm

@stu wrote:anyone got any thoughts re security of stuff on bike on the ferry....?

ie should I take everything that isn't locked with me to the room? Or would it be cool if I left my tent etc tied to the bike (security free)?

Dumb question, but....

Nobody can get down to the vehicle deck so your stuff should be safe. I took only the stuff I needed for the night plus valuables inside. Left helmet locked on the bike with a helmetlok, all good.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
2018 BMW R1200RS Exclusive
avatar
madmax

Posts : 4116
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 54
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  barry_mcki on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

I've never had any issues, and haven't heard of anyone getting anything nicked.  I reckon tents/sleeping bags etc would be pretty safe, there's tons of utes and trailers with a lot more expensive stuff in their trays.

I usually just carry a small backpack to the room and even then don't use half the stuff in it.

We can always lend you one of Leroy's old beds if your sleeping bag gets knocked off, they are the extra large size...


_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1688
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 61
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Route from Canberra to Melbourne via Bombala and Orbost

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum