Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

aftermarket brake master cylinder

5 posters

Go down

aftermarket brake master cylinder Empty aftermarket brake master cylinder

Post  reddog Sat 02 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm

Has anyone tried an r6 or similar master cylinder on the Bandit. 

I know Dekenai us running a Brembo RCS 19, but I was thinking bang for buck. Might just bite the bullet and get a brand new Brembo at least then I don't have to stuff about rebuilding a used mc
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

aftermarket brake master cylinder Empty Re: aftermarket brake master cylinder

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 02 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

I`ve been running an 07-08 gixx 1000 master since 2007, and to be honest, along with braided lines at the same time, I noticed little difference.

I will go down the Brembo path when I get around to it, along with callipers.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 02 Aug 2014, 4:31 pm

I reckon Suzuki brakes are soft even gsxrs. If you try Yamaha or Kawasaki brakes they are super sensitive
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 02 Aug 2014, 5:01 pm

I recon save and go Brembo.

I`ve been watching them on ebay for the last two years, and sometimes there`s some pretty good deals.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

aftermarket brake master cylinder Empty GSXR front master cylinders-Recall NHTSA

Post  doubleD Tue 29 Dec 2015, 4:37 pm

I found this on the Internet.
I would be cautious about using GSXR master cylinders.

according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The bikes are being recalled because of corrosion of the brake piston (in combination with older brake fluid) inside the front brake master cylinder that generates gas that may result in reduction of fluid pressure transmission to the front brake. As a result, front braking power may be reduced and increase the risk of a crash.
The bikes being recalled include certain model year 2004-2013 GSX-R600s and GSX-R750s and 2005-2013 GSX-R1000s.
Suzuki will be contacting owners of the affected units, who in turn can take their GSX-Rs to Suzuki dealers for a free replacement of the front master cylinder. The recall will begin on November 4.
In a letter dated October 18, 2013 Suzuki Motor of America said: “After a long-term service life of the motorcycle without changing the brake fluid, the brake fluid can deteriorate and absorb moisture. The brake piston inside the front brake master cylinder may not have uniform surface treatment. This combination of conditions can lead to corrosion of the brake piston.” This corrosion contributes to the generation of gas and due to the side position of the reservoir, may not be “adequately purged from the master cylinder.”
As the gas accumulates the front brake lever “may develop a ‘spongy’ feel and stopping distances may be extended, increasing the risk of a crash.”

doubleD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 29 Dec 2015, 9:03 pm

This post is probably a good reminder that we should fully bleed the brake systems at some point, completely replacing the old fluid with new stuff (another item not included in the servicing schedule if I remember right).  Might do that tomorrow. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  doubleD Wed 30 Dec 2015, 3:45 am

The brake piston inside the front brake master cylinder may not have uniform surface treatment.

I've checked several OEM parts distributors in the USA and NO replacement master cylinders are available.
The real question "why only Suzuki"?  You know that many owners of other brands have no clue how to bleed their Brakes and probably don't do their cars/trucks either.  If the old Brake fluid was the problem then all motorcycle manufacturers would be having these problems.
Suzuki must have omitted a coating process to the piston to save a dollar.
My 2007 Bandit did not have reflective material behind the turn signal bulbs.  I could hardly see them flash at 20 feet during the day.  I embedded Aluminum foil and now much better.  Check your turn signal housings.  I have a FZ1 and ZX14r both of these have a reflective plate inside the housing.

doubleD

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 31 Dec 2015, 7:22 am

When the K7/8 gixxer front-end was installed, was expecting a major improvement in the brakes and was pretty disappointed.  Had previously tried (standard front-end), Ferodo HH pads, (little but not a lot better), galfer stainless lines, (again a little better; and what a pain in the arse bleeding the ABS was!), and gsxr radial m/cylinder.  The sum of all this was; better but still lacking in the power and feel to give you real confidence.
Next came the full gixxer transplant with Braking SK1 wave discs, which was still lacking…so enter the RCS19 m/cylinder which transformed the system into something very confidence inspiring.

aftermarket brake master cylinder DSC_0172_zpsql4czcnb

My guess is that you could achieve the same result using the m/cylinder from a CBR or ZX, which both use the same or very similar calipers to the pre-Brembo  gixxers and have very good brakes.
Incidentally, my gut feel is that there is little gain in the OEM Suzuki/Brembos.  They look like OEM cheapies and I doubt are significantly better than the monbloc Tokico’s they replaced.
The setup on the K9 trackie uses the Monobloc Tokico’s, Braking ‘Batfly’ discs, Braking P1 pads, Brembo RCS19, Galfer superbike lines…this combination provides huge power and feel, even better than the Brembo goldline setup on the Bimota YB11.

aftermarket brake master cylinder DSC_0171_zpsv4qrkgrr

Incidentally, here is a shot of the current project…a bit of a ‘track’ dash (mocked up in cardboard) to mount the lap timer and gear indicator…gixxer already has one standaxd, (gear indicator) but is hard find in a quick scan.

aftermarket brake master cylinder DSC_0169_zpsd4tn9bku

If you do decide to go RCS19 then I can recommend Omnia Racing or Carpi Moto.  Both do GST (VAT) exempt for non-EU residents and that makes them about 200 Euro.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down