MRA Vario, or X-Creen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MRA Vario, or X-Creen

Post  SVDon on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

I've been well-pleased by the performance of the MRA Vario Screen on my DL1000.

Now, looking for a new screen for the 1250FA  I see there are two MRA screens, the Vario and the X-creen.

The x-creen looks to be a bit wider. and is approx 4 inches taller - it also looks to have a larger spoiler.

I'm looking for a screen that will quiet down the wind roar I'm currently experiencing with the Givi screen that's on the bike.

Comments on the efficacy of the two MRA screens would be appreciated.
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MRA Vario, or X-Creen

Post  barry_mcki on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 5:33 pm

If you're after a quieter screen, then I think you'll be disappointed with the Vario.  The wind noise on mine is much greater than the factory original and Double Bubble I had previously.  It could be the angle of the spoiler I've set but I suspect it is because the Vario with it's spoiler has twice as many edges than a normal screen.

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Sat 26 Jul 2014, 7:37 pm

Can't help with screen advice. 
I can say that different jackets produce different noise on the same bike though and a neck roll/warmer keeps a heap of wind/noise out of your lid.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm

+1 on the neck roll

If you shrug your shoulders the wind noise disappears.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GSFBlue on Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:16 pm

Hi SVDon,

I am fairly new to the Bandit family. I have purchased a 2008 GSF1250SA. I found that I was copping a substantial blast of air over the standard windscreen. Not having been on a big bike for a long time, I found it very fatiguing.

I made a number of enquiries and settled on an MRA replacement screen. It is called a "touring screen". (I am sorry but that was the name on the box.) It is about 100 mm longer than the standard screen with a spoiler/turn-up of about 30-40 mms at the trailing edge. It is distinctive by the two "cats-eyes" (horizontal slits) about two thirds up from the bottom edge. It is claimed that these slits help reduce the vaccuum effect behind the screen. I don't think it is any wider than the original screen.

I am just a smidge under 180 cms tall and I have found that this screen has made a substantial improvement to my comfort on the bike. It has alleviated a big chunk of the wind blast on my chest. I don't think it is any noisier than the original screen. However, I would agree with 2wheelsagain that a neck roll/warmer is useful for keeping out noise. (I also use ear plugs on longer rides) I would strongly recommend this screen. Mine is well finished in a light smoke colour, was easy to fit (I was worried initially) and I personally think it looks good on the bike.

Even though my screen is likely to be different to the models you are referring to, I hope these comments may be of assistance.

Cheers,

Graham
GSFBlue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy on Wed 30 Jul 2014, 2:29 pm

+1 on the neck roll 

or alternatively if you have a Shoei Helmet get yourself a whisper kit its bloody fantastic

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SVDon on Wed 30 Jul 2014, 10:31 pm

I've been riding long enough (50+ years) to know that a substantial part of the wind noise is helmet noise.   I use earplugs most of the time.  

I've tried neck rolls, etc and while they are really nice on cool days, around here we're more likely to be riding in 90F+ temperatures, and then they're uncomfortable.

The Vario screen on my VSTrom eliminated most of the racket, much of which I believe is caused by unsmooth air coming offl the mirrors and windscreen.

I think I'll go ahead and try the X-creen and see how it works.  I'll report back my experience.
SVDon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum