Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  madmax on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/9780-a-safer-start-on-the-roads-for-motorcyclists.html

Without any facts of figures the Victorian government has decided to introduce Hi Viz as a "Safety Strategy" as part of the new Graduated Licensing System

And you know these things will spread like a virus. Once introduced to learners, how long before it is forced upon the rest of us  Sad 

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Jimcoleman on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:53 pm

Is there a problem
avatar
Jimcoleman

Posts : 1174
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 49
Location : Merimbula , NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  madmax on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:Is there a problem

Only if it spreads to the rest of us.

1. I'm not wearing a loose fitting hi-viz vest over the top of my jacket.
2. I just bought a new jacket, do you think the Vic government is going to reimburse us the cost of new gear.
3. Across the world, there is no evidence that Hi-viz clothing makes a motorcycle stand out more in traffic

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  barry_mcki on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:06 pm

Maybe they could use some of the Safety Levy to buy the vests and educate the cagers at the same time ....


_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1626
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 60
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  paul on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

It worked really well for this cop  Rolling Eyes ( even had a helmet to match )

interesting thing is the remainder of the traffic managed to see his bike laying on the road better than when he was sitting on it with his high viz shit on .


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQFLD6kIhU


Last edited by paul on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7011
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Speed Dealer on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:50 pm

madmax wrote:
Jimcoleman wrote:Is there a problem

Only if it spreads to the rest of us.

1. I'm not wearing a loose fitting hi-viz vest over the top of my jacket.
2. I just bought a new jacket, do you think the Vic government is going to reimburse us the cost of new gear.
3. Across the world, there is no evidence that Hi-viz clothing makes a motorcycle stand out more in traffic

I can't remember who did the study but the conclusion they came to was that in city areas, hi viz clothing does not make a rider stand out more, as there is hi viz everywhere you look. In country and rural areas, hi viz does improve a rider's visibility. 

As most learners will be in the city, I don't see the point of it.
avatar
Speed Dealer

Posts : 56
Join date : 2013-09-04
Location : Perth, WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  paul on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:57 pm

Speed Dealer wrote:
madmax wrote:
Jimcoleman wrote:Is there a problem

Only if it spreads to the rest of us.

1. I'm not wearing a loose fitting hi-viz vest over the top of my jacket.
2. I just bought a new jacket, do you think the Vic government is going to reimburse us the cost of new gear.
3. Across the world, there is no evidence that Hi-viz clothing makes a motorcycle stand out more in traffic

I can't remember who did the study but the conclusion they came to was that in city areas, hi viz clothing does not make a rider stand out more, as there is hi viz everywhere you look. In country and rural areas, hi viz does improve a rider's visibility. 

As most learners will be in the city, I don't see the point of it.


The only time I see it may have made a difference is when it was like it was last night ................dark , bucketing with heavy rain , windy ..............and everyone had full attention on what was going on around them .

_________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.






avatar
paul

Posts : 7011
Join date : 2011-08-19
Age : 65
Location : Morphett Vale Sth. Aust.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  2wheelsagain on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:13 pm

madmax wrote:http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/9780-a-safer-start-on-the-roads-for-motorcyclists.html

Without any facts of figures the Victorian government has decided to introduce Hi Viz as a "Safety Strategy" as part of the new Graduated Licensing System

And you know these things will spread like a virus. Once introduced to learners, how long before it is forced upon the rest of us  Sad 

No mate they had facts and figures.
They chose to ignore the submission put forward from the MAV VMCA and evidence from France and a few other Euro countries.
Pollys in chauffeur driven cars knows whats good for us riders. Somehow all evidence was wrong  Twisted Evil 

There's no word on what an interstate learner is required to wear upon entering the holy state of VIC  study

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6237
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 53
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Chook on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:There's no word on what an interstate learner is required to wear upon entering the holy state of VIC  study
That would depend on if it was a road rule or a condition of your learners permit.

A rider/driver has to comply with the conditions of their licence.
EG: a South Australian on P2 conditions does not have to display P plates, other states require that they do so even if they are operating a vehicle in SA they still have to disply the plates, a South Australian travelling in Vic or NSW would not have to
avatar
Chook

Posts : 3002
Join date : 2012-01-20
Age : 52
Location : Between the City and Beach, Adelaide

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  gus on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:36 pm

Nanny country . A chicken just layed an egg in my car ,surly we must bring in a law to ban such activity , its dangerous .
I wear hi vis  clothing and drivers say "your hard to see "
2 reasons why .
They ignored all the warning signs because they were not there yesterday .
Every second person is wearing fluro these days, so ignore the lot .


Last edited by gus on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
gus

Posts : 5492
Join date : 2010-11-23
Age : 66
Location : Cygnet ,Tasmania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Hammy on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:44 pm

Why not flashing beacons on our helmets ?  Strobe lights ? That would look good on a Ulyses ride.
avatar
Hammy

Posts : 4446
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 58
Location : The Rock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  barry_mcki on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:51 pm

Hammy wrote:Why not flashing beacons on our helmets ?  Strobe lights ? That would look good on a Ulyses ride.

Progress, don't you love it......


_________________
Hacks - more smiles per mile  



Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
avatar
barry_mcki

Posts : 1626
Join date : 2010-04-10
Age : 60
Location : Hillwood, Tasmania

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  madmax on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 5:04 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
madmax wrote:http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/9780-a-safer-start-on-the-roads-for-motorcyclists.html

Without any facts of figures the Victorian government has decided to introduce Hi Viz as a "Safety Strategy" as part of the new Graduated Licensing System

And you know these things will spread like a virus. Once introduced to learners, how long before it is forced upon the rest of us  Sad 

No mate they had facts and figures.
They chose to ignore the submission put forward from the MAV VMCA and evidence from France and a few other Euro countries.
Pollys in chauffeur driven cars knows whats good for us riders. Somehow all evidence was wrong  Twisted Evil 

There's no word on what an interstate learner is required to wear upon entering the holy state of VIC  study

What I meant was no supporting fact and figures.


_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Ewok1958 on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

barry_mcki wrote:
Hammy wrote:Why not flashing beacons on our helmets ?  Strobe lights ? That would look good on a Ulyses ride.

Progress, don't you love it......



Should have included at least a pile of horse shit in front of the flag bearer but lol!

PS: even the irony of this would be lost for all the reasons we already know.



avatar
Ewok1958

Posts : 3770
Join date : 2010-08-03
Age : 59
Location : Bemboka, NSW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Jimmy the Boy on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm

Hammy wrote:Why not flashing beacons on our helmets ?  Strobe lights ? That would look good on a Ulyses ride.


Maybe a big speaker playing Greensleeves would make drivers more aware. It would certainly make children more aware. Rolling Eyes
avatar
Jimmy the Boy

Posts : 803
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 48
Location : Wagga Wagga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  2wheelsagain on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:
Hammy wrote:Why not flashing beacons on our helmets ?  Strobe lights ? That would look good on a Ulyses ride.


Maybe a big speaker playing Greensleeves would make drivers more aware. It would certainly make children more aware. Rolling Eyes
Don't give the peanuts any ideas!

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6237
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 53
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Jimmy the Boy on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm

lol!  lol!
avatar
Jimmy the Boy

Posts : 803
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 48
Location : Wagga Wagga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  dhula on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:09 pm

I've used hi vis when it's night time, dark as all hell and raining. More for the reflective tape than the colour though.

Here in WA (at least locally anyways) learners are easy to identify as the learner and the instructor usually wear hi vis vests - the Learner with a big "L" on the back - when out and about. My 16yo just got his L's and a new to him road going bike (don't ask what it is.....). I am seriously considering doing the same so we are hopefully that little bit more prominent out on the road.

dhula

Posts : 1151
Join date : 2009-09-03
Location : Warnbro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Cal on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:00 pm

Wearing Yellow Jacket and pants, yellow panniers, yellow top box, yellow mail carrier and a yellow flag. I still get the sorry didn't see you 5 days a week delivering mail. It ain't going to help stupid/ignorant/arrogant drivers.
avatar
Cal

Posts : 351
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 44
Location : Strathalbyn South Aust.

View user profile http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  car_ham on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm

I am again going to go against the general thoughts and remind everyone about the uproar when as bikers we were told that we had to have our headlights on. There was a raft of excuses about how it wouldn't work. How times have changed, with us bandit riders often commenting on how weak our headlight is, and that how many of us ride with hi beam on during the day, just to be easier to see.

I am doing a short trip to Townsville tomorrow, 390km, and am seriously considering wearing a hi-vis vest over my jacket, even before reading this.

In my mind, everything I can do to make myself more visible, is a good thing when the tin tops are busy with their txt messages, make-up, etc.

As for the motorcycle cop, wtf was he thinking? Lucky it was the car not the truck that got him.

_________________
BikesGSX1250FA - 2012, black with Beowulf oval carbon fibre exhaust, Renthal Ultra Low Black Bars, Geelong Carbon Craft Carbon Fibre tank guard, Speedo Healer,TRE, Brake Light Pro, Butterflies removed, Ventura rack
DRZ400 - 2008 - Safari Tank, bash plate, Pro Taper bars,
avatar
car_ham

Posts : 61
Join date : 2012-08-01
Age : 47
Location : Mackay Queensland, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  madmax on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 3:37 pm

car_ham wrote:I am again going to go against the general thoughts and remind everyone about the uproar when as bikers we were told that we had to have our headlights on. There was a raft of excuses about how it wouldn't work. How times have changed, with us bandit riders often commenting on how weak our headlight is, and that how many of us ride with hi beam on during the day, just to be easier to see.

I am doing a short trip to Townsville tomorrow, 390km, and am seriously considering wearing a hi-vis vest over my jacket, even before reading this.

In my mind, everything I can do to make myself more visible, is a good thing when the tin tops are busy with their txt messages, make-up, etc.

As for the motorcycle cop, wtf was he thinking? Lucky it was the car not the truck that got him.

For me its about choice. Not having it forced down our throats by some politician that despite the studies decides to bring it in for our benefit. Just to make them look good in time for an election.

And as I said earlier, the government are not going to reimburse us to buy new Hi-viz clothing, and I've tried a zip up Hi-viz vest over my jacket and it just comes undone and ends up flapping in the breeze.

Thankfully at this point, it remains a choice for fully licensed riders. Hopefully it stay that way.

_________________
2011 GSX1250FA in Candy Indy Blue
avatar
madmax

Posts : 3913
Join date : 2011-10-19
Age : 53
Location : Carrum Downs, Victoria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Cal on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm

My concern is also for the "L" platers, will they have a false sense of security thinking they will be more visible with yellow on and therefore take greater risks?
avatar
Cal

Posts : 351
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 44
Location : Strathalbyn South Aust.

View user profile http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  2wheelsagain on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:09 pm

car_ham wrote:I am again going to go against the general thoughts and remind everyone about the uproar when as bikers we were told that we had to have our headlights on. There was a raft of excuses about how it wouldn't work. How times have changed, with us bandit riders often commenting on how weak our headlight is, and that how many of us ride with hi beam on during the day, just to be easier to see.

I am doing a short trip to Townsville tomorrow, 390km, and am seriously considering wearing a hi-vis vest over my jacket, even before reading this.

In my mind, everything I can do to make myself more visible, is a good thing when the tin tops are busy with their txt messages, make-up, etc.

As for the motorcycle cop, wtf was he thinking? Lucky it was the car not the truck that got him.

You're wearing it because you chose to wear it CH.
There's nothing wrong with my Bandit headlight in the day time. Its only when the stars come out that the headlight is piss weak.
Drivers, if they chiose to look will see my headlight. Its just that I and most others need a better light especially for rural riding.

The uproar with these new rules is there is no study anywhere that even suggests you're safer wearing a plastic banana with piping. If drivers are not thinking to look for a bike they wont see a bike.

I'm happy if it makes you feel safer but nothing will beat defensive riding and "owning" your space".

_________________
My posts reflect my personal  experience or opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
~ Chris ~
~ 0466 Ask ~
~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
MV Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
avatar
2wheelsagain
Admin

Posts : 6237
Join date : 2009-08-26
Age : 53
Location : Sale Area Vic

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  dhula on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:12 pm

After all the BS my son has had to deal with in the last couple of days learning to ride on the road, I am seriously considering buying him and me/wife a proper hi-viz riding vest in an attempt to be as visible as possible.

For what it's worth, there are some interesting comments re hi-viz gear over on Stromtrooper

dhula

Posts : 1151
Join date : 2009-09-03
Location : Warnbro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Unclescum on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 2:19 am

As a professional Bus driver I prefer to think of hi-vis clothing as urban camoflague. I have had occasions where coming up to an accident scene at night on a slope, I have had to tell the nice police type person that they can't be seen due to the position they had placed themselves in. That position being in the middle of the road with car headlights behind them, no flashing lights activated and the road being angled in such a way that the headlights on my bus didn't reflect off the hi-vis clothing they were wearing. So there you go just one little case study where the wearing of hi-vis clothing was negated by local conditions.

Hi-vis only works if a driver is actively looking for you....

That's why I call it Urban Camoflague.
avatar
Unclescum

Posts : 10
Join date : 2014-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria to intorduce compulsory Hi Viz for learners from October

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum