Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again

5 posters

Go down

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again Empty Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again

Post  #Tag Thu 12 Jun 2014, 11:26 am

As a slight aside to this post : https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t4801-1250-valve-adjustment

The shims finally turned up and reconstruction is in progress.

One of the big PITA,s of the job is removing the valve cover (and much more so replacing it without displacing the gaskets).

The main culprit is the ports for the PAIR system which foul with the cam sprockets/chain when sliding the cover out/in sideways.

A Picha explains all:

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again IMG_0140_zpsdf18feb7[/URL]

The ports are the two chimney stacks which bugger everything and locate into the castings beside the plugholes in the head which can be seen in this picha :

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again IMG_0139_zpsee02c351[/URL]

The PAIR system is just a hole into the exhaust ports with a one way valve on top of the cover to pass air into the exhaust system to lower emissions. Hence air and exhaust gasses are passing up and down said ports. The ports are isolated from the valve gear by the chimney stacks and the gaskets which sit in the grooves around the ports you can see.

I put a PAIR blockoff kit in long ago so the system is redundant. (jees, I miss the popping and crackling)

Thoughts are I should take the grinder to two of the stacks to make  removal/installation much easier.

Could somebody apply the 4X2 Of Sense to my head and tell me why I shouldn't do it.

For instance; My first two thoughts are the ports assist in locating the cover but if the gasket channels and 8 cover bolts can't do the job I would be surprised. And that the upper PAIR chambers have heavy carbon deposits so there must be some passage of exhaust gasses up through the ports (they do not leak externally, it must just be pressure pulses up and down from the upper chamber) and am I raising the possibility of gasses leaking past the gaskets and pressuring the engine causing oil to piss put like a Commando.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again Empty Re: Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again

Post  barry_mcki Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm

I reckon you're right on both counts, the alignment is not that big a deal, but exhaust pressure (and contaiments) into the valve area and oil would not be a very good enhancement.

Could the stacks be taken out of the cover and placed into the head ? Would that make it easier to fit the cover without dislodging the shims ?

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again Empty Re: Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again

Post  #Tag Thu 12 Jun 2014, 4:06 pm

Good idea Barry, and yes that would have solved the problem.

But I'd already had a quick feel with the thought of throwing them away and blocking the passages and found they are pressed into the cover and are thin guage steel. I doubt that I could remove them without destroying them.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

1200 - screw and locknut  ,what was wrong with that method . The 1250 cover removal was the worst I have ever known , I felt like attacking it with a BIG HAMMER it really pissed me off .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

Remove the cam chain adjuster, lift the lid, long screw driver in and depress the cam chain,
bingo................ lid slides out easy......................... Bandit 1250 Valve Adjustment - again Tnc7S8dYtXvLfU9PptkGbPDoAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

2015 F6C 1800
naked Gold Wing.
let the mod begin
------------------------
4 those who believe,no proof is necessary.
4 those who don't...... no proof is possible.                                                                                     

gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:39 pm

Gus, we feel each others pain.

Gazzar, yes that works exactly as you describe except - on the 1250 to remove the tensioner you have to remove the throttle bodies, so not exactly a time saver unfortunately.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm

Well thats a piece a piss 2 do Tag,if it's striped down 4 the valves whats another 15 mins A.

2015 F6C 1800
naked Gold Wing.
let the mod begin
------------------------
4 those who believe,no proof is necessary.
4 those who don't...... no proof is possible.                                                                                     

gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Fri 13 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

Gazzar, I wish I could remove and replace the throttle bodies and cam adjuster in 15 mins but I'm way too unco for that.

So I bit the bullet, took the grinder to the cover and cut off about 2/3rds no 3 & 4 cyl  PAIR tubes and to my complete astonishment the gaskets seated fine and the cover slid into place with barely a clunk and with the gaskets and cam guide still in place.

Now I just have to see if the motor goes bang or starts pissing more oil than my forks. If so I'll post up that I'm a dumbass.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  1wheeldrive Sun 22 Jun 2014, 4:09 pm

And you did that on Friday 13th?  affraid

1wheeldrive

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 22 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

Jeebus, if I had realised it was Fri13th I would have gone to the pub instead.

Quick update. I gotta repeat how much easier removing the two PAIR tubes made the cover placement.

As a bonus it went for a 500k run today and it didn't go bang. (Disclaimer: next run it may go bang)
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down