Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disappointing ...

+9
paul
barry_mcki
madmax
reddog
2wheelsagain
Bosco15
Ewok1958
Hammy
gus
13 posters

Go down

Disappointing ... Empty Disappointing ...

Post  gus Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:06 am

Ive broken down 5 times in the last few weeks on the tls . It has a wiring mod involving fuses lots of wires and relays .AS its not in the manual its a nightmare to understand though basically it cuts power to lights on start up and maybe other things .
A fuse will blow ,not affecting bikes running ,however charge stops going to battery until bike dies with a flat battery .
I believe the problem was caused buy the fuse being too low amps .(not in manual remember )
Ive been on the side of the road ,seat off ,tail cowl off ,battery out ,wires exposed checking connections , 4 times . Carol got left with the bike once as I went home for another battery .
Of the 100 or so bikes that passed not one offered any assistance or a "thumbs up ,you ok ?" sign .
Piss poor I think , Carol hardly looks the mass murder type .
Thank goodness I'm old school because if being "modern "means riding buy a fellow biker in trouble I want no part of it .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Disappointing ... Empty Re: Disappointing ...

Post  Hammy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:28 am

That's no good Gus. On both counts.  Hope it is an easy fix and you can find the problem soon. On the other point. I always slow down and give a thumb up, as if to ask "are you OK ", as I go past. I had an opportunity to help out a fellow biker just a couple of weeks ago. He was parked up under a tree on his Boulevard. An older bloke. Thought his clutch had gone. Asked if I had any allen keys, which I did. Gave him the ones he needed. Could not hang around to help any more as we had a barge to catch. I shake my head at the thought of bikers riding by a female on the side of the road, with what could be a break down.  Sad times Gus.  Anyway. Best of luck.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 8:04 am

As Hammy said, piss poor on both accounts. I've stopped every time I've come across a biker looking like they are not just taking apic or a pee. Best of luck with electrical problem - they ca be frustrating.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:14 am

It's a sad sign of the times.
People are becoming warry of situations that may result in having to defend against a bogus claim against them, such as harassment. Especially with a lone woman at the side of the road.
Personally, I believe people would like to assist but have been made paranoid by shows like ACA.
Be careful raising the value of your fuse, without first calculating the required rating.
Current = Power ÷ Voltage.
So if it's a 36W globe then 36÷12= 3 it will pull 3A so use a fuse rated accordingly.

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

Thats poor form. I've actualy stopped a couple of times and slowed down for heaps over the years.
I've helped a young woman pick up her "boyfriends" CBR600 that had a lay down on gravel. He was on his way. I straightened the gear leaver enough so he/she could continue home working out a suitable punishment Sad 
I've picked up a smashed Hornet for another bloke and delivered him to the phone box at the nearest shop because there was no mobile reception.
I hope if I’m in need of assistance one day someone “old school” will stop and ask if I’m ok.  cheers 

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:36 am

I'm putting it down to it being Sunday when the  "coffee set rider" ventures out between 10am -2pm every second Sunday if the weather is between
23-28 deg and no sign of rain .Probably with full road side assistance and don't know where the battery is or able to get it out if they did .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

Guys get rid of the dodgy wiring mate. If it carries on it probably has a stuffed reg which is fairly common with Honda and Suzukis
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:39 am

I now remember when I put the bike together it had a green fuse in it .(30 amp ) Over time I think I may have removed it and it has ended up with a 15amp fuse in its place .Remember it started like this .

Disappointing ... DSCF5004
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

Yes it is a sad sign of the times. People in general just don't care about anyone but themselves. They wont stop after witnessing an accident. They wont stop for someone who's broken down. .In most cases they just don't want to get involved or delayed. It even comes down to not stopping to offer first aid, for fear of being sued. Not knowing that in Australia we have the "good Samaritan law" to protect them. Fear factor is also part of it, we've all heard of the urban horror stories.

Last year when I was on my own and got a puncture a guy on a Harley Shocked  pulled over and asked if I needed help.
And many years ago a mate and I while riding on the Reefton Spur we were signalled to slow down and then just around a couple more bends there was a group of riders trying to drag a bike up the slope that had gone of the road.
I was more than happy to stop but we were waved on,, I guess they had enough people already.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm

I think what is worse are those who get out their phones and film things to put on their self absorbed Face Book/Twitter accounts, rather than to try and help or do something to actually assist.

Disappointing ... Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:19 pm

Unfortunately , some people today are too self absorbed & full of self importance to care enough to lend a hand , or even give a rat's arse what is happening to someone else .................much more important things to do , like texting , or having the mobile glued to your ear .They labelled the seventies as the "me" decade , but I think this one may give it a run for it's money . I can only see the reluctance to get involved getting worse unfortunately ,but I must admit to being surprised fellow bikers didn't offer to help...............where's the comradery  gone ?
Hope you get it sorted Gus .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

Yeah, no good!!

I`ve been riding 25yrs(started a little late) and its funny you know, I`ve only ever seen 3 bikes ever in a situation,

2 were Harley blokes, on different occasions, with a crowd around them( no..I didn`t stop for either of those, due to what I observed)

The 3rd was a 90`s jap bike, that had gone up in flames, and set a field on fire as well,  in the middle of no where, but the fire brigade where there, along with about 10 cars, so there was nothing I could do anyway.
 He looked gutted, the poor bugger.

But I was brought up to help others, and would have reservations about pulling up to help anybody.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 11 Jun 2014, 4:02 pm

Good to catch up yesterday particularly after Hammy's directions  Very Happy  Very Happy It's probably better if he doesn't look for a future career as a cartographer  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy 

Just had a look at the TL forum and it seems your charging problems are quite common and probably easily fixed.

One of the forum threads "crappy Suzuki wiring" discusses the addition of three relays to improve the volt drop to the headlights and also to "kill" them during starting to maximise volts to the starter motor.

This mod adds three relays near the headlights. Are these some of the five you have found? I assume they are not genuine Suzuki but standard ones you get from Supercheap.

I have been studying one of the many wiring diagrams on the web but I am not confident I have the right one. If I am correct, the diagram should be E24 for Australian standards.

From what I have read you are definitely not the first TL owner to suffer battery charging woes.

I reckon the best solution is for you to cruise on over and we'll see what we can fix.

I will PM you with my details.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:43 pm

I found a diagram and in it was the fuse with a 30amp in place .I had been running a 15amp hence them blowing  .I replaced it with a 30 amp ,did the same rev and watch and it stayed intact so hopefully problem solved . Thanks for the input .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

gus wrote:I now remember when I put the bike together it had a green fuse in it .(30 amp ) Over time I think I may have removed it and it has ended up with a 15amp fuse in its place .Remember it started like this .

Disappointing ... DSCF5004
Yes I remember.  That's impressive.  Had it been me, I think I might have got it running by now, but it might be powering a saw or mowing grass or something. I really wouldn't like my chances.    

On the roadside thing.  Seems every time I stop, I fail to see the other person standing (or squatting) behind the tree relieving themselves - worth a laugh, or they are just waiting for someone else.  Once I loaned someone a phone call - to ring someone to collect them. They had woes, but had someone near by. 

Never hurts to stop.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:11 am

BanditDave wrote:Good to catch up yesterday particularly after Hammy's directions  Very Happy  Very Happy It's probably better if he doesn't look for a future career as a cartographer  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy 

What do ya mean Dave ?  I'm already a Cart-grog-for-ya.  I manage a PUB !   Very Happy
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 12 Jun 2014, 8:32 am

Hammy wrote:
BanditDave wrote:Good to catch up yesterday particularly after Hammy's directions  Very Happy  Very Happy It's probably better if he doesn't look for a future career as a cartographer  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy 

What do ya mean Dave ?  I'm already a Cart-grog-for-ya.  I manage a PUB !   Very Happy

THAT EXPLAINS A LOT  tongue  Razz  Razz

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:03 am

paul wrote:
Hammy wrote:

THAT EXPLAINS A LOT  tongue  Razz  Razz

PAUL !!!
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

Hammy wrote:

I think the Pub manages you!

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Speed Dealer Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:49 pm

I think it's reflective of society rather than individuals. A woman on the side of the road...will she think I'm trying to hit on her? Will her husband/boyfriend misinterpret the situation? Is she a feminist and will tell me to fuck off? Same reason men have become reluctant to become school teachers and Scout Leaders working with children. 

If it was a man I'd pull over and offer assistance. I'd pull over for a woman if she signalled she needed assistance.
Speed Dealer
Speed Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum