Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A wet day in beautiful Victoria

+5
Chook
spanna
Hammy
paul
madmax
9 posters

Go down

A wet day in beautiful Victoria Empty A wet day in beautiful Victoria

Post  madmax Mon 05 May 2014, 9:46 pm

Yesterday I met up with straff1250 and Spanna at Pakenham on a day I would normally choose to stay at home.

Victoria offered us a crap day weather wise, but it didn't dampen the spirits (pardon the pun  Laughing )

We met up at about 9.30 because some slack arse was running late. After the usually greetings etc we headed off through Gembrook towards Yarra junction. From there we headed east towards Noojee. What intended to be a short stop at the Powelly pub for coffee and to don wet weather gear turn out to be a hour long pit stop. We waited inside while it pissed down with rain. It was here that we met up with Kelpie. who noticed our bikes parked outside and stopped in to check up on us. Unfortunately he couldn't join us as he had a prior engagement.
From Powelltown we headed east to Noojee and then onwards to Moe (Moccasins On Everyone) thorough the twisties Spanna and I had lost Straff, but we soon found him, or should I say his bike, stopped on the side of the road with Straff hiding behind a tree! It was here that Spanna noticed my rear tyre looking a little limp. For the first time ever I broke out the little tomcat compressor and it performed real well. (I think there might be a couple more purchases soon)
Cause of the flat turned out to be the tyre checker on the rear tyre. I wont be using them bloody things again!
After that was all sorted we headed into Moe to find fuel. When we pulled up at the servo Spanna's topbox rack had broken from all the bumps, soon sorted with a couple of occy straps from the shop. Stopping again to refuel ourselves at the golden arches we then headed out to the Thompson dam.
A wet day in beautiful Victoria 20140504_1456181

A wet day in beautiful Victoria 20140504_1455531

From here we headed back to "Moccasins On Everyone" and because of the time we decided to head home via the Princess Fwy. Going home via the freeway was probably the worst part of the trip. I was dry when we left the Thompson Dam, I reckon I was still dry when we got back to Moe. The freeway made all that change, by the time I got home my Jacket was wet right through, the jumper and the t-shirt underneath were damp so were my socks. No wonder I was bloody cold!

Still I had a great day, thoroughly enjoying myself, thanks guys. We gotta do this more often.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

A wet day in beautiful Victoria Empty Re: A wet day in beautiful Victoria

Post  paul Mon 05 May 2014, 10:20 pm

Sounds like a fun day .................it looks like someone has made their own " U " turn track over the medium strip in photo 1 / not you lot I hope LOL

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 05 May 2014, 11:06 pm

paul wrote:Sounds like a fun day .................it looks like someone has made their own " U " turn track over the medium strip in photo 1 / not you lot I hope LOL

I was tempted, but no it wasn't me

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 06 May 2014, 6:38 am

Good onyas all for going out in the wet. What is this "tyre checker" thing you speak of Max ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 06 May 2014, 7:13 am

Hammy wrote:Good onyas all for going out in the wet. What is this "tyre checker" thing you speak of Max ?

These things  I got a pair made up for me ages ago 42 for the rear and 36 for the front. Problem is they permanently press on the valve, so your tyre is then sealed by the cap. In my case the cap seal had failed causing the tyre to deflate

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 06 May 2014, 8:10 am

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:Good onyas all for going out in the wet. What is this "tyre checker" thing you speak of Max ?

These things  I got a pair made up for me ages ago 42 for the rear and 36 for the front. Problem is they permanently press on the valve, so your tyre is then sealed by the cap. In my case the cap seal had failed causing the tyre to deflate

Ahhhhh  I see.   Maybe you should have bought the "side stand checker" instead.   Razz  Razz
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 06 May 2014, 8:20 am

Hammy wrote:
madmax wrote:

Ahhhhh  I see.   Maybe you should have bought the "side stand checker" instead.   Razz  Razz

ha ha, but I've already got one of those, its called a left boot and it gets used every time  tongue 

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Tue 06 May 2014, 9:07 am

Nice report madmax, was a good day.
Sometimes you just gotta take a chance with the rain.... at least we had very little traffic apart from Gem-LaunchingPlace Rd.
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 06 May 2014, 9:11 am

spanna wrote:Nice report madmax, was a good day.
Sometimes you just gotta take a chance with the rain.... at least we had very little traffic apart from Gem-LaunchingPlace Rd.

Hi Spanna.  Just noticed where you live.  I used to live near Endeavour Hills many many moons ago.  Used to walk to Waverley to watch the footy with a mate.  Memories.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Tue 06 May 2014, 9:48 am

Hammy, don't think you would recognise Waverly Park these days. Townhouses surround the oval and fill what used to be car parks, most of the grandstand was demolished.
A lot of asians bought in the area and walk their little dogs around the oval watching curiously as the Hawthorn players train during the week.
I remember taking a 1.2mt rc electric glider there for sunrise aerial photos about 5 Anzac days ago, a few people got upset by the buzzing and security showed up to throw me out.
A bit rude considering it is an ungated oval so public can just walk in.
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Tue 06 May 2014, 12:04 pm

spanna wrote:Hammy, don't think you would recognise Waverly Park these days. Townhouses surround the oval and fill what used to be car parks, most of the grandstand was demolished.
A lot of asians bought in the area and walk their little dogs around the oval watching curiously as the Hawthorn players train during the week.
I remember taking a 1.2mt rc electric glider there for sunrise aerial photos about 5 Anzac days ago, a few people got upset by the buzzing and security showed up to throw me out.
A bit rude considering it is an ungated oval so public can just walk in.
The same will be happening to Football Park (AAMI stadium) in SA as well in the next year or so, 500 million on a new stand less than 10 years ago to rip it all down, makes perfect sense to me  Rolling Eyes
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Tue 06 May 2014, 1:09 pm

Nice writeup. It took me back over the last few years as I would head along these roads after MotoGP or WSBK on my way from the Island to Craigieburn to visit family.

The forest section about 20km North of Moe is fantastic, a little tight for our big bikes, but wonderful scenery none the less. Around Powelltown so scenice and the staff at the Powelly Pub are great, that smell of the timber plant in the area is great.

Any road around Gembrook, Woori Yallock, Dandenong Ranges, Olinda etc is moto heaven. I love the blat down from Gembrook to Pakenham also.

Speaking of tyre valve and rough road problems, a few years back on my GPX 250, I had the 90deg piece on top of my tyre valve , which was great for checking pressure at a servo as it meant no wrist origami to get the pump onto the valve, but on a bumpy country road it put too much vibration and pressure on the rubber valve stem which cracked it and i lost half the pressure in my tyre. This I only found out as I tipped it into the first corner of Macquarie Pass and felt the rear tyre squidge all over the road worse than a pair of soiled undies! Certainly got my attention. A short/slow ride back to the closest bike store and a $15 valve replacement sorted it out, but I never had the 90deg piece on any valves since. It caused a levering action as the bumps hit it , which over time made the rubber on the valve fatigue nd crack. The best thing I did do was to buy an old school bike pump, (standing on the base and pump it up and down like you see in the cartoons).

Anyway, sometimes on those bad weather days it is good to get out and practise ,in a sense, having to control the motorcycle in wet conditions. It improves your concentration and confidence with the machine. If all you do is dry weather riding, I think it can give you a false sense of confidence in the grip, cornering, braking and handling of the bike.

Keep it real fellow Bandit bro's!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 06 May 2014, 6:40 pm

You may have shit weather but you have bloody awesome roads though
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  straff1250 Wed 07 May 2014, 7:08 am

Nice review Madmax.

I still can't believe you rode that pace through that tight windy section of roads with a totally flat tyre!!!!
That was pretty impressive!!!
Looking forward to heading out again with you guys.

Cheers.
straff1250
straff1250

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 07 May 2014, 7:14 am

Ignorance I think.  Neutral 
Or maybe it shows how good the PR3s are

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 07 May 2014, 8:53 am

And to think I was in Traralgon for part of Sunday....... Brian do you have my number?
Maybe I have no friends  Razz

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 07 May 2014, 11:25 am

Yes I do, and we were waiting Sunday morning for you to respond to the post. I figured you must have had something else on or didn't like the weather.
At the time I forgot I could have rang you.

Sorry

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Wed 07 May 2014, 4:59 pm

Would have been great to have you along 2wheels.
Just a thought, perhaps we should all PM each others mob no.'s I thinks it is easier to co-ordinate ride details at the last minute by text msg's.
We could post the initial ride invitation here, but close to the time if someone has not posted a quick sms might be good.
It's also good when someone can't find the meeting point

On another matter ... you boys remember my topbox that wanted to go east on Sunday?
I replaced the base plate on Monday, today I was out with some guys from the Classic Motorcycle Club and the topbox flew off at high speed.
TEC saw it & managed to strap it to his bike.
Still in one piece, this $50 topbox will need to be bolted down on the bandit, it has been fine on the Vstrom for over a year.
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  straff1250 Wed 07 May 2014, 6:34 pm

Good idea Spanna about texting.

Did you say the top box had no damage???

How fast where you going?
straff1250
straff1250

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Wed 07 May 2014, 7:06 pm

I was doing between 80 - 100kph.
I haven't seen the topbox yet but apart from scuffing I am told there is no damage. The lid is still locked!!
Amazing for a $50 what looks like reclaimed plastic box
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 07 May 2014, 7:46 pm

I just think you topbox doesn't like you or your bike. Its now had two chances to escape. Foiled both times

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 07 May 2014, 10:07 pm

madmax wrote:Yes I do, and we were waiting Sunday morning for you to respond to the post.  I figured you must have had something else on or didn't like the weather.
At the time I forgot I could have rang you.

Sorry

No worries mate maybe next time. Wink

My number is in my signature if anyone wants it.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down