Will you ever sell/trade and buy a new Bandit?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Will you ever sell/trade and buy a new Bandit?

Post  SolomonKane on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:32 am

At one of the Suzuki dealers last weekend had my first close look at the new Bandit/It's not a Bandit! 1250. Did not find the instrument panel at all appealing: seemed to look cheap and flimsy to me and not a patch on the original.

What do you think of the new design?

They offered me a trade on my 2008 GSF1250s if I bought one the 2012 ex-demo bikes. Don't remember the exact Ks on the bikes, I think it was under 2,000 on both. For the half fairing they wanted an additional $3,700 and for the full fairing $4,200. Based on what I'd expect to get for my bike selling privately I thought that was a pretty good offer trade wise. However, imagine what I can do to my bike with a $3,000 to $4,000 budget.  Very Happy 

This got me thinking about what would motivate me to 'upgrade' to a newer Bandit. I guess I'd give it serious consideration if it truly were an upgrade: for example, a significant improvement in handling or cooling. The coming of age of ABS technology was a strong motivator for me previously to upgrade with other bikes.

I loved and still love the Honda Magna 750, and would buy another 2002/3 in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity to do so. I've said it time and time again that if I'd known that it would be nigh impossible to import or buy one in Australia I would have brought mine back with me when I left South Korea. However, if Honda started producing the Honda Magna 750 again, with improvements such as a better braking system and ABS, then I wouldn't hesitate to sell it and upgrade just so long as the style was pretty much the same and the ride just as good or better.

For those of us who are not enamored by a particular version/year what criteria, what circumstances, make moving to the newer version, or simply a younger one, a justifiable and smart move? I find this much easier to determine with cars. My preference is to keep a two or three year old car until it is seven to ten years old. That way the gap between sale and buy price is much more manageable, and I avoid expensive repair jobs. I'd add that I would never buy a brand new car or bike because of depreciation.

I've searched online and there is plenty of discussion regarding how long to hold on to standard cars, as well as debates concerning the differing philosophies of regular turnover vs. running it into the ground. However, I've yet to find anything similar regarding motorbikes. Not suggesting it isn't out there, just that I haven't found it if it is.

As for me, I'm putting the money I would have spent on a newer Bandit into my existing one. The way I see it, all I get if I buy the 2012 Bandit is a younger bike with lower Ks. By the way, I thought it was interesting that the sales guy said that if I wanted to trade the 2012 in 2 or 3 years time I'd be offered an equivalent deal. Even allowing for inflation it seems that I wouldn't be that much better off in financial terms.

Of course for me style does come into it too seeing as I do not find the full frame or new instrument panel at all appealing. I heard from the dealer that Suzuki won't be producing the half frame, that in future only the full frame version will be available. If so then perhaps the half frame with the original instrument panel may well become a much sought after version, and if so then that's definitely a major tick in the Pro column for hanging on to what I've already got.
SolomonKane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will you ever sell/trade and buy a new Bandit?

Post  madmax on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 6:08 am

I'm with you there on cars.I like to buy a 2 year old car that's still under warranty and keep it for 8-10 years. I also doubt I'd ever buy a new one, unless I just couldn't find the perfect near-new one.

As for bike, I don't see myself trading the Non Bandit any time soon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 7:28 am

Not bagging the Bandit. I have sung it's praises on here for all to see. But !   I do think that Mr Suzuki did not do enough to the newer models to keep the flame alive. So to speak.  Then again. I am an advert of the fact that if you are on a good thing. Stick to it. So why change it if it still sells ok.  Which it does because you will not find a new bike in the same class for the same money.  Motorbike manufacturers are a funny lot. Sometimes I wonder what the hell are they thinking. That goes for all the Japaness makers.
Hammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 1:14 pm

I bought my 2011 new in early 2012, I reckon I'll be keeping it for at least 8-10 years, after that who knows but I wouldn't rule out another one if they are still making them then.

I've never bought a new car and without a lotto win would never consider it, lose too much too quickly. As for bikes, my last 2 have been new, the VX800 was $7500 on the road in 1990 and got $2500 back 21 years later, that's bloody cheap riding and the Bandit was a bargain @ $12900 with a full set of Givi luggage, you'll never get that value from a car.
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

@SolomonKane wrote:At one of the Suzuki dealers last weekend had my first close look at the new Bandit/It's not a Bandit! 1250. Did not find the instrument panel at all appealing: seemed to look cheap and flimsy to me and not a patch on the original.

What do you think of the new design?

They offered me a trade on my 2008 GSF1250s if I bought one the 2012 ex-demo bikes. Don't remember the exact Ks on the bikes, I think it was under 2,000 on both. For the half fairing they wanted an additional $3,700 and for the full fairing $4,200. Based on what I'd expect to get for my bike selling privately I thought that was a pretty good offer trade wise. However, imagine what I can do to my bike with a $3,000 to $4,000 budget.  Very Happy 

Howdy SK
Actually I am seriously considering upgrading.
Can you let me know the dealer details, maybe by PM if you prefer.
Thanks
BanditDave

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 5:17 pm

I have thought about it but mine is like new still at 7 years old and 40,000 km and I 'd just be spending more money on the same bike, that I'd then want to customise.  It shall do me a while yet
kewwig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

I'd definitely have a look at a Yammy FJ900 (based on the MT09 motor) if they bring one out.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:29 pm

Howdy SK
Actually I am seriously considering upgrading.
Can you let me know the dealer details, maybe by PM if you prefer.
Thanks
BanditDave

G'day mate:

No problem posting it here as far as I'm concerned.

Oliver's Motorcycles Ph: 3193-4444

http://www.oliversmotorcycles.com.au/

It's a relatively new place started up by one of the partners involved in running Team Moto Moorooka. Apparently much to the disgust of Team Moto he setup shop just down the road from them.  Very Happy 
So far I'm pretty impressed by them, have treated me quite well to date.

Need any help just PM me.

Regards,

SK
SolomonKane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

If I replace my Bandit, chances are I won't get another one.  I see little point in 'upgrading' to essentially the same bike.
b12mick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

@b12mick wrote:If I replace my Bandit, chances are I won't get another one.  I see little point in 'upgrading' to essentially the same bike.

+1 and for those who think the Bandit is the best thing since sliced bread I'm happy for you. I must have had great bread in the past  cheers 
The Bandit is good and works better than it should on paper but....................

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bikes ~
Graphite 2014 VFR1200F - How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
Silver 2014 MV Agusta B3 Brutale 800 - Triple Treat
2wheelsagain
Admin

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:14 pm

Hmmm, a bit of a dilemma.

I began my second childhood with a Suzuki VZ800 Marauder then moved onto the 06 Bandit, a wonderful transition. My present 09 is even nicer being super smooth and quiet.

One thing that stands out with the Bandit is the low seat height which is pretty useful for height challenged people like myself. I tried sitting on a VStrom and know it is not for me for this reason.

I could move to a smaller bike 600/650 but I am unsure whether I will be happy. Going the other way 600/650  to a 1250 would not present this problem.

I don't want a sports bike, I don't think my back could take it.

A friend of mine at 70 years old has just bought a Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja. Sure has plenty of get up and go but far more than I am looking for. Using his reasoning I could get a Hayabusa but it doesn't even have a centre stand.

I guess I am very happy with the reliability and cost of ownership of the Bandit

I'm open to any suggestions

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:03 pm

Triumph Thruxton have a seat height of 790mm. Down a little in power compared with Bandit, bit a bit lighter too. 
Hmmm Thruxton Dave, has a nice ring to it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:05 pm

A bloke came into work today with a near new FJR1300, as far as tourers go I've always loved them.
.................................. but as far as bang for your buck, I couldn't go past the Bandit when I bought it. 

We got talking bikes and when he asked what I had I told him a poor man's FJR, he didn't get it until I explained I bought it new with Givi luggage for under $13000, his wife (and pillion said) "you mean we could have got one of them with luggage for you and one without luggage for me for about the same price!!" She wasn't a happy camper when she found out.

The Bandit will never have the refinement of a FJR but they are very very good value for money, what else will take you comfortably all over Australia (solo or 2 up) for that money.
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:51 pm

I can`t see myself ever selling my GEN2.

Had it 10yrs this August.

Apart from the total engine rebuild I`ve just done, which after 170 000kms, was getting tired, but could have got to 200k easily!!

I can`t recall ever having any major problems at all.

I figure what I`ve spent on my bike over the years with all sorts of upgrades, has almost molded the bike into what I want in a bike.

Some may say by doing so, it seizers to be a Bandit, maybe true in some ways, but I still haven`t found anything that I could ever replace it with, and I test ride a lot of bikes. I could only ad to the collection, not delete it from a collection

Regular valve clearance and carb balancing is the only draw back, if you call that a draw back, and I guess cold starts due to carbs, but that has never ever bothered me!!

After reading all the probs with the water cooled, although not common, but some repeat offending problems with some, I`d never own one.

Would I buy another one..yes..the original GEN1. It has a raw appeal about it that I like, and I still think it has the nicest frame when exposed in a naked form.

I still feel that they lost something when they went to water cooled, and maybe a different buyer as well.

Ones that would become part of a collection would be Aprilia V4 Tuono...NOT THE V2. I love this bike, a bit of a pig in some ways, but wouldn`t be a daily rider.

FZ1 would be another...and so on and so forth, but never sell the Bandit!!
mtbeerwah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Well, I visited the local Yamaha dealer today and he showed me an FZ1.

Quite seriously, I reckon such a purchase would be a backward step.

I recently criticised a friend who bought a ZX14 Ninja suggesting that he was probably beyond such a bike.

I met him on Monday and now I understand that he does not use the bike to its limits but just enjoys it thoroughly.

It got me thinking that maybe a Hayabusa would not be such a bad decision after all.

It certainly is a little different to the Bandit but has a full fairing like the GSX.

Food for thought.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

@BanditDave wrote:Well, I visited the local Yamaha dealer today and he showed me an FZ1.

Quite seriously, I reckon such a purchase would be a backward step.

I recently criticised a friend who bought a ZX14 Ninja suggesting that he was probably beyond such a bike.

I met him on Monday and now I understand that he does not use the bike to its limits but just enjoys it thoroughly.

It got me thinking that maybe a Hayabusa would not be such a bad decision after all.

It certainly is a little different to the Bandit but has a full fairing like the GSX.

Food for thought.
Not knowing exactly what sort of bike you're after, Dave, but gleaning from your posts that you're after comfort and touring capability with a fairing. 
I test rode a Victory Vision Tour a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how well such a big bike handled. The geometry they have chosen makes it a very capable bike. Waaay out of my price league at the time, I would own one in a heartbeat given the chance. They have come way down in price since their initial release. I have seen a few used examples being sold for relatively cheap prices for what they offer. 
Not everybodies cup 'o tea, well worth test riding if you can find one. 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

Banditdave, you've got an interesting thought pattern happening there. Both the ZX14 and the Busa derive from the motorcycle space race that achieved hyper-drive on two wheels. If you seriously get interested in a Busa you should also test ride a ZX for comparison before making a decision. Honda pulled out of this race to the stars with the Blackbird and Yamaha never got involved, concentrating on the one litres sports bike race. As for the non-japs in the hyper-sports race, I'll leave that for someone else. The Busa has achieved a cult following in the States and will live on irrespective of when production stops. The ZX14 is probably the pick of the two for sports touring (ok, many will disagree) and is insanely powerful (as the Busa). Both are too heavy for my liking (as is the Bandit for that matter), but there's no denying their appeal if you want hyper-drive on a planet that has speed limits. Hve fun with your thoughts buddy! It's a great debate. Cheers.
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:05 pm

Hammy'll have his Blackbird on the market, soon as he finds a Duck Devo Diablo thing.
Might pay to test ride one or two. Blackbird seat height 810mm, HireBus 805mm

HireBus video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49NxrVB62M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm

@Bosco15 wrote:Hammy'll have his Blackbird on the market, soon as he finds a Duck Devo Diablo thing.

HireBus video

The Birds not leaving the nest anytime soon.....

Only with me strapped to her.   Twisted Evil
Hammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:44 pm

@Hammy wrote:
@Bosco15 wrote:Hammy'll have his Blackbird on the market, soon as he finds a Duck Devo Diablo thing.

HireBus video

The Birds not leaving the nest anytime soon.....

Only with me strapped to her.   Twisted Evil
lol, you're a card, Hammy.  Razz 
when you're on a good thing, stick to it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 11:45 am

Triumph Thruxton. It looks exactly like the Bonneville I owned in the late 60's. I think I would be stopping every little while to check the amount of oil leaking from the engine. Bad memories, sorry, not for me.

Victory. Sorry, reminds me of the Leyland P76. Room to carry a spare bike in the top box.

Latest thoughts. GSXR-1000 and GSXR-750. I think I will visit my local dealer and have a sit on one/both. The 750 weighs in at 190Kg, 67Kg less than the GSX1250FA. Fuel tank 17litres - not too bad. Need to check out the riding position.

The quest continues ...............

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 1:06 pm

I've owned three Gsxr 750's and will probably own another some day. The original and still the best, imo, sports bike. Ultra reliable and capable, not a very good tourer ss they come from the shop but can be modified with new top yoke and bars posibly pegs to make a very comfortable ride.
The only draw back is resale. They are the Ford Falcon of the bike world. Loose value rapidly because they're so popular.
Look for a good used thou with all the mods done. You'll pick up a ripping late model for under ten G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

Went to my local Suzuki dealer today.

He only had a pre-loved GSX-R600 available but I understand they are nearly identical to the 750.

Certainly easy to swing my short legs over and felt comfortable enough.

I felt extra weight on my arms/hands but I assume this disappears with a bit of wind on the chest.

To buy new it is pretty much the same price as the GSX1250FA.

I have to ask myself will I be doing any long distance riding in the future.

I will probably be attending some Bandit type get-togethers, Hervey Bay to Dubbo overnighter with 600Km per day shouldn't present a problem. Other than that I think the majority of my riding is 200-300Km days

I don't think the GSX-R750 lends itself to luggage, top box/panniers maybe it will all have to fit in a tank bag / tail bag - no big problem with that.

Hmmm ....... some more thinking perhaps

BTW thanks Bosco for your input

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

Just to add to it Dave the Ninja 1000 looks good on paper, wouldn't mind one on the next update. Smile

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/sport/2013-ninja-1000-abs

'96 1200s Bandit
2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

@2wheelsagain wrote:
@b12mick wrote:If I replace my Bandit, chances are I won't get another one.  I see little point in 'upgrading' to essentially the same bike.

+1 and for those who think the Bandit is the best thing since sliced bread I'm happy for you. I must have had great bread in the past  cheers 
The Bandit is good and works better than it should on paper but....................

Totally agree.  For from the best thing. I test rode a Tuono just after I bought the Bandit - damn was I pissed off. 

However, in terms of 'all round bang for your buck' the Bandit is damn hard to beat.
b12mick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum