Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not happy Jan.

+8
Ewok1958
paul
madmax
Re-Cycled
BanditDave
Kiwisteve
Hammy
Jimmy the Boy
12 posters

Go down

Not happy Jan. Empty Not happy Jan.

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:15 am

Have had a whirring noise in the Toyota Aurion for quite some time. I thought it was tyre noise and left it at that. Had to get a Rego inspection on Wed and the mechanic seemed to think it was a wheel bearing. Sent me to the Toyota joint for them to have a look and give a second opinion. Mechanic there was very good also, took me for a drive,explained a few things then I left the car with him to diagnose. Two hours later his boss rang me and confirmed it was right hand front wheel bearing. I said just replace it mate and you may as well do the left one while she's up on the hoist. Reply........No worries mate that'll be, (wait for it)......Not $300, not $500, not even $600................$2,100!!!!!!! This isn't a typo.

Anyway, after I picked the phone back up I kindly asked him to put the car back how it was and I'd come and pick it up.
Now I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I have changed plenty of wheel bearings and I may be wrong but I thought $1,100 was a little bit steep. I have looked up whats involved on the computer and its no different to any other front wheel drive car.It should be 1-1.5hrs work per wheel ( $300 labour) and $120 each bearing ($240). Lets round it up to $600. Where does $1,100 come from?

Have other members got an idea of what a reasonable cost would be for this job? Cam, what do you think?

Cheers Jimmy the " bemused " Boy.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Not happy Jan. Empty Re: Not happy Jan.

Post  Hammy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:24 am

That's BS Jim.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:27 am

I have a mate with an Aurion, what sort of Kms have you got on yours Jimmy?

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:30 am

Only 85K Steve. You'd think they'd last longer than that but thats not the issue. I'm happy to replace them but not at that sort of cost. If I had a press I'd have a crack at them myself.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:40 am

Last time I changed front wheel bearings was on a commodore.

I'm sure the bearing kits for both wheels was less than $100.

Unless technology has changed greatly, you remove the bearing outer using a brass drift and used the old bearing to help install the new one.

I definitely did not use a press as I haven't got one  Wink

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:46 am

Hammy wrote:That's BS Jim.

Yes, but did you let Jan know? lol!

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 07 Feb 2014, 7:52 am

Quite typical for a lot of dealerships. They jack the price up in the service and parts departments because they make f*#k all in sales.

I had a similar problem when my car was still under its new car warranty. I took it to my local Ford dealer to have a few things sorted. I asked him if machining the front rotors was covered under warranty and he told me it was. Later that afternoon I got a call to tell me that during the course of removing the rotors they felt that the pads wouldn't make it to the next service and they recommended that I have them change them. I asked how much = $180. Now you might think well that's not to bad, but bear in mind that they already had the rotors off so therefore so were the callipers. I told him to forget it.
After I picked the car up I headed down to my local Bursons and picked up a set of pads for $70.
The next day I decided to change them. The ones in the car were .5mm more worn than the new ones. In other words they were bloody nearly brand new.
The dirty bastards were going to charge me for new pads and replace nothing. I guess in some way to reclaim what it cost them in the warranty repairs.

Hence I've never been back

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 8:12 am

MM theres a big dealership around here thats renowned for that sort of shenanigans. Ive had mates mark their oil and air filters and when they've picked the car up they've been charged for both but neither were replaced. I don't know how these scumbags still operate. This is not the dealership I went to yesterday though.

When I went to pick the car up I asked the mechanic if anything special was involved and he said no, straight forward job, how much did he quote you? When I told him he shook his head, apologised and handed me the keys. He was a really genuine, nice young bloke who obviously sees this on a regular basis.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 07 Feb 2014, 8:34 am

They like to prey on the unwary

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 07 Feb 2014, 8:37 am

If you don't want to tackle it yourself , take it to a private mechanic instead ................that's just crap ! ( don't tell him what you were quoted until he has told you his quote though )

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 8:40 am

Thats exactly what I'm doing in about 10mins Paul.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

We owned a Camry many years ago.  It was a good little car.  The first service it required we put it into a Toyota dealership in Canberra and got the shock of our lives when we went to pick it up.  Same problem.  Just exorbitant costs, like $85 for a fuel filter.  We never went back to them.  The most expensive service of any car I've ever owned.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

OK heres the update. Went to a private mechanic who I know is a top bloke. To cut a long story short $158 per bearing for Toyota genuine parts. And he quoted me $300 per wheel including bearing to do the job. This is a worst case senario at 1.5hrs per wheel. Said it should be an hour per wheel if nothing goes wrong so it will be somewhere between $5-600 max.  Very Happy Very Happy 

I then told him the dealership quote and he had a good old giggle and wondered how they're still open for business.

Happy now Jan. Very Happy
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

Jimmy the Boy wrote:Have had a whirring noise in the Toyota Aurion for quite some time. I thought it was tyre noise and left it at that. Had to get a Rego inspection on Wed and the mechanic seemed to think it was a wheel bearing. Sent me to the Toyota joint for them to have a look and give a second opinion. Mechanic there was very good also, took me for a drive,explained a few things then I left the car with him to diagnose. Two hours later his boss rang me and confirmed it was right hand front wheel bearing. I said just replace it mate and you may as well do the left one while she's up on the hoist. Reply........No worries mate that'll be, (wait for it)......Not $300, not $500, not even $600................$1,100!!!!!!! This isn't a typo.

Anyway, after I picked the phone back up I kindly asked him to put the car back how it was and I'd come and pick it up.
Now I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I have changed plenty of wheel bearings and I may be wrong but I thought $1,100 was a little bit steep. I have looked up whats involved on the computer and its no different to any other front wheel drive car.It should be 1-1.5hrs work per wheel ( $300 labour) and $120 each bearing ($240). Lets round it up to $600. Where does $1,100 come from?

Have other members got an idea of what a reasonable cost would be for this job? Cam, what do you think?

Cheers Jimmy the " bemused " Boy.

My wife used to work there in Stock Control and Registrations.  They are back stabbing, lying, deceitful cunts.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

lol! lol!  Don't hold back Mick, tell us what you really think of them.

Thanks for the confirmation of what I guessed was the case.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 07 Feb 2014, 11:32 am

I know on more than one occasion people have bought a car from them close to the end of the month, but weren't going pick it up for a couple of weeks only to find out 3 years later they were out of warranty 2 weeks earlier than they expected. Allegedly, in order to make their sales figure for the month the prick sales manager at the time registered the car straight away, which meant that the owners missed out on 2 weeks of warranty, which could have cost them thousands of dollars. Thankfully Toyota honoured the warranty on 'good will'. Allegedly.

Personally, if I wanted to buy a new Toyota, I'd take a trip to see Tim O'Malley at Tumut Toyota, or down to Albury to Jacobs.

Conversely, when we replaced our Camry we bought a Liberty Wagon.  I cannot speak highly enough of the guys and girls at Jupiter Motors.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm

Next step.  Ring Bearing Dynamics or similar after market supplier and get a price for non genuine.  
I'm sure that you know that Toyota don't have a bearing manufacturing plant to make "Genuine" Toyota bearings.  They all use outside supplies.  
Do it Yourself,  Jimmy. 
I did the Festiva.  They require pressing onto the hub. Any local machine shop will do the press work, 10min max, for a carton of ale. 
Save yourself a few hundred dollars more.

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Fri 07 Feb 2014, 3:46 pm

Jimmy the Boy wrote:OK heres the update. Went to a private mechanic who I know is a top bloke. To cut a long story short $158 per bearing for Toyota genuine parts. And he quoted me $300 per wheel including bearing to do the job. This is a worst case senario at 1.5hrs per wheel. Said it should be an hour per wheel if nothing goes wrong so it will be somewhere between $5-600 max.  Very Happy Very Happy 

I then told him the dealership quote and he had a good old giggle and wondered how they're still open for business.

Happy now Jan. Very Happy

He's charging around $100 per hour for his labour. He's getting paid like a politician  Very Happy  

I just checked aftermarket bearing kit prices. Allied Bearings in Cairns want $58.15 per wheel.

I'm not suggesting you purchase them in Cairns but there are CBC Bearings, BSC Bearings and SKF Bearings in Wagga which should have similar prices.

So, $300 - $158 + $58 = $200 per wheel. That's $400 all up which is what I would expect to pay. I hate robbing bastards.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 07 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

2 replaced wheel bearing = half a Honda vfr . Rolling Eyes
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:01 pm

gus wrote:2 replaced wheel bearing = half a Honda vfr . Rolling Eyes

Thats a great deal, Jimmy. 
Do all four wheels and Gus will swap his Vfr for the used bearings.  Bahaha.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

Just imagine how much fun I could have with 4 wheel bearings .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 07 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

You could get Gazzar to work his magic with them.  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Fri 07 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm

The bearings on my VT commodore were sold as a "front wheel hub assembly". 3 Allen bolts and the whole lot came out! 
Lots of stories regarding dealers trying to rip me a new one (trying to charge me for a clutch fluid flush....it's an auto, also wanted $1200 to replace a rear main seal......which was still under warranty, and many more!)
so now I do all my own servicing and repairs....

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

Thanks for all your input guys. I know its still expensive, I could stuff around and try to do it myself but Its the bosses car and basically Im not allowed to touch it. For a couple of hundred bucks Im happy for him to do it. The fella at the dealership said he had a hell of a time pulling the right hand side apart so this bloke can have the headache. I also didn't want to walk into the shop with pre bought bearings and say, here put these in will ya. Id actually rather not get toyota ones if they only last 80K but it feels as though I have something to fall back on if he does the work and they fail. Anyway they're ordered now and its booked in so this saga will be over soon. Thanks again. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down