Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gsx1250fa air box removal

4 posters

Go down

Gsx1250fa air box removal Empty Gsx1250fa air box removal

Post  Bosco15 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 6:40 pm

Ok. So got bike home and started playing. 
Oil change, filter. Checked TPS ok. Now trying to get airbox out to removed secondary butterflies. 
Has anyone done this without dropping the motor? Looks to me as though that is the only way. Air box is molded bigger in every dimension than the frame. 
All help appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Gsx1250fa air box removal Empty Re: Gsx1250fa air box removal

Post  Bosco15 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

Nice. Cheers. I was just having another head scratch and figured that was my only real option. 
Not today though. There is a lot of dust and a bit of gravel that I have to clean away before I break the seals on the engine side. 
Life wasn't meant to be easy I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:10 pm

Remove the airbox lid and filter.  Undo the two mounting bolts (10mm).  Loosen the throttle body clamps. The airbox wiggles back and you then put the bolts in again and put a bungy strap around them and the frame to hold it back.

Dale Walker has a step by step on his site www.holeshot.com

If you know what you are about you can do it all in less than an hour
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:22 pm

Thanks for that Kewwig. I got as far as getting the box off the throttle bodies, but was hoping that there was some trick to do it without breaking the seal on the engine side. 
I've actually done this mod on my SV but ended up putting them back. The SV doesn't have an O2 sensor and removing the secondaries gives a sharper throttle response but a big flat spot, which needs remapping to fix. 
I'm hoping that the mod on the 1250 has the same result without creating mapping issues.

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

No, you do the airbox, then remove the various hoses, undo the injectors at the big round connector, disconnect the electrical plugs.  Leave the throttle cables on then wiggle the TBs back and out to the right.  Have a towel to rest them on against the engine.  Make sure that you have a screwdriver that fits the secondary screws well but don't try to undo them without heating them or they strip and you will be drilling them out.  I use a butane pencil torch till they smoke slightly as the loctite burns off and out they pop.

You don't need to re-map and it improves even the stock setup.  It's all good.  I have done several bikes now and it's a real benefit

Here's Dale's link:  http://www.holeshot.com/Bandit_1250/1250tfi_install_st2.html
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 07 Dec 2013, 3:16 pm

Awesome, help. Thanks Kewwig. 
Got up this morning and followed the guide. I had to get the compressed air out to clean the throttle bodies a bit, but the whole process went smoothly. Marbleised the PAIR hose whilst I was in there and modded the air box lid. 
Kudos to Mr Honda's engineers for linking the engine side throttle body clamps into pairs. Made life über easy. And the blowtorch trick worked a treat. 
Put everything back together and fired the girl up. Started and idled smoothly. No chance to take her for a spin though. Had to move on to fixing the a/c on the oldies Festiva. 
The joys of toys.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Sat 07 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

kewwig wrote:Remove the airbox lid and filter.  Undo the two mounting bolts (10mm).  Loosen the throttle body clamps. The airbox wiggles back and you then put the bolts in again and put a bungy strap around them and the frame to hold it back.

Dale Walker has a step by step on his site www.holeshot.com

If you know what you are about you can do it all in less than an hour
These are very good instructions, you can't go wrong.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 07 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Awesome, help. Thanks Kewwig. 
Got up this morning and followed the guide. I had to get the compressed air out to clean the throttle bodies a bit, but the whole process went smoothly. Marbleised the PAIR hose whilst I was in there and modded the air box lid. 
Kudos to Mr Honda's engineers for linking the engine side throttle body clamps into pairs. Made life über easy. And the blowtorch trick worked a treat. 
Put everything back together and fired the girl up. Started and idled smoothly. No chance to take her for a spin though. Had to move on to fixing the a/c on the oldies Festiva. 
The joys of toys.
Wait till you ride her.   Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 07 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

Bosco15 wrote:Awesome, help. Thanks Kewwig. 
The joys of toys.
Mr Honda? Hush yo mouf'
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:58 pm

Doh! What a Faux Pas. 
I had been extolling the virtues of the engineering that went into my missus' VFR to a friend that afternoon.
Believe me, I've had more Suzukis than any other brand of bike because there seems to be a consistency of design that Suzuki carries across its range. 
I finally got to go for a ride without the secondary butterflies. Way more responsive. Very happy. 
Next, a catectomy I think as well as sorting the rear pegs, moving the top box back an inch or so and have a go at upholstery. 
I do like making a new bike into the bike you want it to be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down