Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford Hot Grips fitting question

+7
Re-Cycled
gus
Bhoffo
madmax
rosstrom
kewwig
GGiant
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oxford Hot Grips fitting question - Page 2 Empty Oxford Hot Grips fitting question

Post  GGiant Sat 13 Apr 2013, 5:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been fitting some Oxford grips this arvo.
Mine has a square switch block with on/off + heat setting buttons that fits on a plate (supplied) that screws under the clutch lever bolts.
Wondering if you guys have had success with the double sided tape to stick the switch box to the plate, and whether that has been strong enough to hold over time, rain etc.
I would prefer a screw-on but don't want to send a screw into the tiny holes I see in the back of the switch block!
Thanks GG

Back to top Go down

Oxford Hot Grips fitting question - Page 2 Empty Re: Oxford Hot Grips fitting question

Post  GGiant Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

Thanks madmax re the replacement controller. Good to know there is hope if the Oxford dies - which sounds very possible.
I also like to wear summer gloves as long as I can. For me my thicker gloves reduce the level of feel and control, something I don't like to lose as I like to ride as smooooooothly as poss on my gentle giant.
Strike! I like this Bandit !!

Back to top Go down

Oxford Hot Grips fitting question - Page 2 Empty Re: Oxford Hot Grips fitting question

Post  GGiant Sat 20 Apr 2013, 9:39 am

I am fitting my new throttle tube after wrecking the original to fit the Oxford right hand hot grip.
I'm having trouble getting the new tube on.
The prob is disconnecting the two throttle steel cable/wires (top/bottom) from the old plastic tube. I have wound back the adjustment thread on the top cable outlet (I counted the no. of turns so I can reset it) but still can't release the the steel cables with their round keeper head that fit into the plastic tube mould. Still too much tension on them. I could carefully cut the old plastic away I guess but might damage the cables.
Any ideas on this thanks (apart from putting my bike on a trailer and taking it to a bike shop).
Thanks GG

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 20 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

Make sure the throttle adjuster is screwed right in at the grip end to give you maximum slack. Get a small cable tie or some decent fishing line. Wind the throttle back as if accelerating. This slackens the return cable (the lower of the two). Slide the tie under the lower cable near the nipple end as it goes into the circular hole on the throttle tube. The tie should then sit between the cable and tube. You may need to turn the throttle back and forwards a little to find the easiest position to do this, but at some point you will get that tie under the return cable. Once under the cable, use it as a loop to pull down on the cable when in the slack position. Pull down on it and it will be loose enough to pop out. The other one is then easy.

Take your time and don't use pliers as that can fray the end by the nipple. Reinstallation is the reverse.

You shouldn't have to remove the tank to access the adjusters on the throttle bodies, but you can as a last resort. (Don't remove the cables from the TB end as that is a pain in the arse to put back together).

The first time you do this it will seem impossible, but once you have done it you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

PM me if stuck and you can call and I will talk you through it
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sat 20 Apr 2013, 2:27 pm

Thanks very much kewwig for very clear instructions.
I will proceed carefully and hopefully let you know of success.
Appreciated GG

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:35 pm

Kewwig, You are a champ! I had total success.
After a few domestic duties (eternal lawn mowing!) I headed for my shed and followed your instructions with the cable tie, and it was a breeze. The cable tie idea is tops, it took just a few minutes, and the same to re-assemble. I returned the plastic threaded sleeve on the outside of the throttle cable to the same position as original (9 1/2 turns), locked it up with the plastic round lock nut. When I started the engine a while ago it seems to idle fine.
The Oxford grips went on really well. The throttle grip actuates free and easy. All glued on, cables routed and tied to the frame, and under the fuel tank. Fuses in (via my fuse block, switched with ign). Connections etc taped up.
The grips are as warm as toast and work on all power settings. A very satisfying outcome.
Really appreciate your help kewwig.
Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:46 pm

We aim to please. Go for about 5mm free play in the throttle and make sure the wires don't hook up and keep the throttle open. Turn your bars side to side to make sure nothing pulls too.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:43 am

Okay, I see, the threaded plastic sleeve tightens the play between on/off in the cables. Got it.
Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2