The Rant Thread

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Rant Thread

Post  Cameron on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anything pissed you off today? Something you need to say?

You now have a place to have a little rant.

Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rant Thread

Post  Chook on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:12 pm

I had a long and drawn out day today.

I left Port Lincoln about 4:50 this morning so I could do my gym session in Whyalla to break the trip home up a bit.

About 6:50, 40km south of Whyalla I dipped my lights for a oncoming car and slowed to about 90, just as the car went past Skippy's little brother appears from behind the car, didn't see it until it's hid lit up in my RH headlight, I was driving a Toyota Prado with a Roo Bar, just felt a light tap and a thud. After about 200m I wondered if I should stop and check, parked up, walked around the front of the car with my torch, no apparent damage at all, then I smelt coolant.
The Prado has a ARB Roo Bar that angle up a fair bit on the edges, filling the gap underneath is a shitty, thin piece of tin bolted to the bar, little skip had gone under the bar, bent the tin, torn it away from 3 of 5 bolts and the tin had gone straight through the bottom tank of the radiator, within about a minute of stopping there was no coolant left.

By the time I contacted my boss, found out the (bullshit) government procedure for accident damage, contacted a tow truck, it was after 9:00 am by the time I was dropped off at a crash shop in Whyalla. We are a self insured government department, department policy says no hire cars, colleagues from Pt Augusta were all on days off.

The Roo was only little, I'm sure if I had no Roo Bar there would have been damage but I'd probably still have been able to drive, if the Roo was a bigger one I don't think it would have gone under the front and I would have still been able to drive.
When my boss arrived he was as stunned as I was the one thing we put on the cars to protect us from Roos was most likely the thing that caused me to be stranded

My boss finally got away about 10:00, picked me up at just after 2:00 and with the dozens of Grey Nomads wandering down they highway at 80 kmh, we finally made it to the office by 7:00, unpacked the car and got home about 8:00, nice to be home, would have been nicer to be home 6 hours ago though.
Chook

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:17 pm

Sounds like ARB need to be informed & make some modifications .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:06 am

I'm pretty sure our fleet people will be doing that paul, we've got dozens (if not a few hundred) vehicles fitted with the same bar

This bent panel is the only visible damage to the car, where it bent up it cracked the radiator (not a lot of clearance to start with)

Stranded over 400km from home because of a flimsy piece of tin  Evil or Very Mad
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:10 am

I suppose it was lucky you weren't on the bike , it sounds like a  pretty  unavoidable accident .

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:04 pm

@paul wrote:Sounds like ARB need to be informed & make some modifications .

My experience with ARB, they couldn't care less. Their customer service is atrocious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:08 pm

@Chook wrote:I'm pretty sure our fleet people will be doing that paul, we've got dozens (if not a few hundred) vehicles fitted with the same bar

This bent panel is the only visible damage to the car, where it bent up it cracked the radiator (not a lot of clearance to start with)

Stranded over 400km from home because of a flimsy piece of tin  Evil or Very Mad

Wait until you see how those shitty metal plates are held in place.
The captive nuts are held into a hole in the plate with weak clips. Two of mine have failed and are no longer in place. One day I pull them out and weld the nuts in place.
No point getting ARB to sort it out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

@madmax wrote:
Wait until you see how those shitty metal plates are held in place.
The captive nuts are held into a hole in the plate with weak clips. Two of mine have failed and are no longer in place. One day I pull them out and weld the nuts in place.

While you're at it, find someone who will bend you up some replacement plates in at least 3 or 4mm steel
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill & Ted on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 8:46 am

I have a rant, over the last 5 years of friends and family buying used motorcycles, all with great service history why is it that every time that I go over the bike in question the service history seems to be severely lacking even though these bikes have been serviced and stamped by reputable shops.
Nearly all of them have had old and sludgy brake fluid, my 2012 bandit that I just bought continues the trend, brake fluid was crap and the clutch fluid looked original (black and sludge in the reservoir).
I thought a service included checking all the fluids not just changing oil and filter which seems to be the case now.
As an aside the SV650 I bought, the PO paid nearly $800 for valve adjustment with shims, yet when I checked they had never been done and were out of spec, this is why I tell everybody learn to do as much as you can yourself.
I photo document everything that i do to my bikes so that if I ever sell them the buyer has proof that the work is done unlike the stealerships.
Rant over.
Bill & Ted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

The problem is that the servicing schedule for the Bandit is itself half-arsed. It does not include the items you mentioned nor any change of the fuel filter. Once when I was looking at buying a ZX-12 I downloaded the servicing schedule. It was very comprehensive and included everything that isn't in the Bandit schedule. So a dealer can stamp the book recording that a service was done, but many items won't ever be looked at - that includes re-greasing axles, swingarm bearing and headstem bearing, checking throttle linkage slack, etc, plus the things you mentioned. It kind of suggests that the Bandit servicing schedule was put together at 4.30pm on the the Friday before a long weekend.  pale
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill & Ted on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

This has been an issue for other manufacturers that I have gone over as well, Yamaha in particular.
When I'm holding a receipt in my hand for a service and tuneup for the bike in question and all they have done is change the oil and filter, I call that slack and unprofessional.
Just sad state of affairs. Crying or Very sad
Bill & Ted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nick Kyrgios

Post  truck on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 10:43 am

Small rant about wasting my time watching the sports news and hearing a story up about another tantrum this spoilt tennis brat has thrown.
It's getting so common that it's not a news story anymore.
A news story would be he played a whole 3 sets and DIDN'T throw a tantrum.
truck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum