Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA

+7
ausrock50
Hammy
Four40
2wheelsagain
paul
gus
madmax
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 Empty R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA

Post  madmax Sun 03 Mar 2013, 8:24 am

First topic message reminder :

A few weeks ago I enquired about these from the Australian distributor AMC. Rob at AMC wouldn't take my order until he had them available is Aus. Which is fair enough as I had not made any outlay. He did keep me well informed and PM'd me to place the order when they had arrived. Once the order was made AMC was quick, delivery was 4 working days.

The Crash Protectors.
This job was awkward to say the least.
Obviously you need to remove both fairings
Then you need to remove the 3 mounting bolts to the radiator and tie the radiator forward to the front forks.

You can do either the left side first or start with the light side. Either way you choose the link bar must go in before the second mounting block is installed as it fits into a recess in the back of each block.

The left side mounting block is clamped around the frame.

View of the left side mounting block, loosely fitted in place
crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0671-1

Right hand view of the left side mounting block
crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0669-1

A more top down view of the left side block showing the link bar running above the headers
crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0673-1

To fit the right hand mounting block you need to remove the 2 frame joining bolts. The mounting block sits over the frame join and 2 new bolts are supplied
crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0674

Once the mounting blocks are in place and tightened up the instructions tell you to refit the radiator and fairings.
This is interesting as I wonder if you need to remove the knobs to remove the fairings or whether they will fit through the hole?
crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0675

crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 IMAG0677

My first thoughts, the kit is well made, very solid. The instructions are easy to follow. Installation is awkward unless you have small hands. The biggest problem I had was removing the 2 original frame bolts which required a 450mm breaker bar and an 8mm Allen socket to loosen.

Personally I don't like them . They seem to stick out further than I anticipated. The knobs themselves look huge and I think ruin the lines of the bike.
The size of them suggests they have been designed to protect the indicators as well as the fairings.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 Empty Re: R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA

Post  kelpie Wed 05 Mar 2014, 9:35 pm

Great news!
kelpie
kelpie

Back to top Go down

crash knobs - R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA - Page 2 Empty Re: R&G crash protectors for GSX1250FA

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 07 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

sort of combining a review of the R&G crash bars and using a it as a GoPro mount.

I must admit that my bike now has ailerons like a sub marine and what i thought would be a great camera mount, how wrong was I.

mounted my nice new ram mount to the knob , and off for a ride to test it. back home for a bit of look, nice and solid really looking good until i hit about 100ks and thats where its all goes shit. vibration to buggery. try some rubber tape, bit better still no good over 100ks, time to call in Dr Google how do i smooth out the vibration coming through the knob. Google answer Moon Gel, what the hell is moon gell it appears moon gel is the stuff Drummers put inside the drums to reduce vibrations.

The Moon Gel comes in 4 pads i stuck them to the knob then covered them in electrical vulcanising rubber tape. clamp the mount to the knob a quick run hey its all smooth like its suppose to be. Moongel its the ducks nuts, and crash knobs are very nice too
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  kelpie Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm

Funny you should mention the vibration coming through the crash protectors.

After our discussion in another post regarding mounting cameras, I made up a mount as you suggested using a hose clamp which seemed nice and solid but at around the speed (or should I say engine RPM) you mention, the video image starters to shake and wave up & down, like your flicking the camera with your finger.

I've tried it out on a few runs but haven't got back to doing something about it. Your "Moon Gel" might just be the answer.
Where do you get it from?

Oh, and if you don't like having "ailerons" on your bike you can always cut the alloy spacer blocks back a bit like I did until your happy with how it looks.
kelpie
kelpie

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:58 pm

Kelpie you get the moon gel from a music shop its about $15 buck for 4 squares. Then you need to seal it i used electrical vulcanising tape to seal it works a treat

Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sat 08 Mar 2014, 7:40 am

madmax wrote:Its not the shape of them its the size of them, how much they stick out. Yeah I reckon I could cut them down, but would they then be as effective?

Suppose you could use them as highway pegs just like a HD  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 08 Mar 2014, 8:04 am

BanditDave wrote:
madmax wrote:Its not the shape of them its the size of them, how much they stick out. Yeah I reckon I could cut them down, but would they then be as effective?

Suppose you could use them as highway pegs just like a HD  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Tried that, they're too high and too close to the seat.
The guy on the FZ1 that I met in Gundagai on Monday afternoon, had foam rubber wrapped around his oggy knobs. I can only guess that was so he could use them as highway pegs.

Anyway the size of the pegs has grown on me, I barely notice them now

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2