Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bored,so test riding sport bikes

+2
paul
mtbeerwah
6 posters

Go down

Bored,so test riding sport bikes Empty Bored,so test riding sport bikes

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:13 pm

So in Briz visiting people as I do,and always sniff around bike shops when time permits.

Rode 2012 Suzuki GSXR 1000 and BMW S1000RR back to back

I can`t see me ever owning a sport bike again after the rides.

In brief..

BMW felt like it handled better,not by much.

Braking,the BMW was so snappy,I thought I was going over the bars, GIXX was better there,they had more progression.

User friendly..they`re sports bike,so not an arm chair,and what is expected,and I would say the German was more plush. In saying that,neither were really bone rattling,and softer than expected.

Torque......In my opinion...neither had any. I was disapointed with both,and was hoping in this day and age, with technolegy,they would have progressed a bit further wth this.

Power,didn`t get the BM above 7000,due to the bloke with me, the GIXX on the other hand,at a different dealer,(this particular dealer I like going to,as they just give you the keys,with ANYTHING, and say see ya latter,I laugh everytime I go there,they just don`t care,and I would never buy a demo bike from them)so the GIXX didn`t have as much as I expected.

Would they shit on the Bandit..of course.Have they got more useable torque..I recon no. You have to be on song to get them to work,which makes them really peaky,and a handfull.

Handling,in a hair pin situation,or on rough surface,they both became very twichy,and un-nerving,out side that,fantastic!

I try and test ride,as many bikes as I can,to form an opinion,and always compare against the Bandit as an all rounder,from sport to bush,and yes they all have they`re niche,but I just can`t bring myself to ditch it, except possibly one,that being the V4,and only the V4 Aprilia Tuono,I love that thing!!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Bored,so test riding sport bikes Empty Re: Bored,so test riding sport bikes

Post  paul Fri 09 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

Good report , its always interesting to hear opinions of other bikes Very Happy
paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 09 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

Last sports bike I rode was an 08/09 CBR 1000 blade. That thing was so small and wheelied to 110 in 1st gear. Would I own one? hell yes. Would I still have a license? no

BTW the S1000RR needs to be revved, 7000rpm is a waste of time it's only just starting to percolate Smile
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 10 Nov 2012, 7:13 am

reddog wrote:Last sports bike I rode was an 08/09 CBR 1000 blade. That thing was so small and wheelied to 110 in 1st gear. Would I own one? hell yes. Would I still have a license? no

BTW the S1000RR needs to be revved, 7000rpm is a waste of time it's only just starting to percolate Smile

yeah,i know this,even by the stats on it:193HP @13000RPM-112Nm @9750RPM, and this is the point i`m making,you have to peak it to ride it,you can`t torque it comfortably. My shitty old Bandit`s peak torque on dyno was 115Nm at 6200,and has so much more user friendly torque.

Once again,they are totally different bikes I know,but i`m talking user friendly,reguardless of the bike.

As an all rounder,and i`d still go the V4 Aprilia Tuono.

Its a super bike in naked. Has so much more torque than the said two,and almost the same HP(almost)

Nimble,upright,and on the road,I think it would eat the other two. On the track,no way,but we don`t live on the track
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 10 Nov 2012, 7:37 am

Everyone who rides the Aprilia seems to rave about it .I was offered a ride the other day but foolishly(?) knocked it back as i didnt want to come home

disappointed with my 2005 V2 tuono and bandit .

Though if some million-air buys our house in 3.5 hours (auction ) i will return .Slightly unlikely .Razz
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 10 Nov 2012, 8:26 am

gus wrote:Everyone who rides the Aprilia seems to rave about it .I was offered a ride the other day but foolishly(?) knocked it back as i didnt want to come home

disappointed with my 2005 V2 tuono and bandit .

Though if some million-air buys our house in 3.5 hours (auction ) i will return .Slightly unlikely .Razz

WHAT!!!!!mate,you need slap`n!!

Go back there where it was,and ride it.

https://youtu.be/Nlz-Hiqcqq0
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Thu 15 Nov 2012, 8:18 pm

I rode the S1000RR, the Aprilia RSV4R in Japan last year. Very quick bikes but nothing much happens under 8500 rpm.
I had an R1 pull up next to me at the lights last week, in the left lane, I was in the centre. There was a parked car 150m down the road. When the lights turned green, I got a quarter second jump on him and he didn't get past me until I backed off. Off the mark the Bandit is very good. The 1000 sport bikes were generally derived from the 750s. They don't have a lot of torque down low where it counts on the street. They are great for quick blasts, but I'd hate to ride them every day in traffic. I guess I'm getting old!
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:21 pm

geekay007 wrote:I rode the S1000RR, the Aprilia RSV4R in Japan last year. Very quick bikes but nothing much happens under 8500 rpm.
I had an R1 pull up next to me at the lights last week, in the left lane, I was in the centre. There was a parked car 150m down the road. When the lights turned green, I got a quarter second jump on him and he didn't get past me until I backed off. Off the mark the Bandit is very good. The 1000 sport bikes were generally derived from the 750s. They don't have a lot of torque down low where it counts on the street. They are great for quick blasts, but I'd hate to ride them every day in traffic. I guess I'm getting old!

You are spot on. At the drags the 1000cc's only round up the Bandit once we are up at 200kph. Off the lights the torque kills the sports bikes and I was pretty slow on the tree too.

The Bandit runs out of puff soon after 200, not having ram air doesn't help the top end either

I'll see if I can find the run sheets and scan them in to show you the difference over 400m.If the Bandit somehow had a 40Kg diet it may actually crack into the 10second bracket. Best from memory that I managed was an 11.4
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 4:22 pm

reddog wrote:
You are spot on. At the drags the 1000cc's only round up the Bandit once we are up at 200kph. Off the lights the torque kills the sports bikes and I was pretty slow on the tree too.

The Bandit runs out of puff soon after 200, not having ram air doesn't help the top end either

I'll see if I can find the run sheets and scan them in to show you the difference over 400m.If the Bandit somehow had a 40Kg diet it may actually crack into the 10second bracket. Best from memory that I managed was an 11.4

If the old Bandit had a decent compression ratio, it would pump out a lot more grunt. The Tuono V4 probably has around 13:1, and the R1's have around 12.5:1. I think our old bird's got 10.5:1 or so. Also the cams have a lot to with it. You can probably get just under 140HP with Stage 3 and Yoshi cams, should bump the revs up to 10,500 or so. I couldn't be bothered myself, it's the low down grunt that gives it her character IMO. I might look at some hi-comp pistons down the track once Dale Walker gets them sorted out. He's testing them at the moment, and I think he said he got around 150-160 BHP, with the high comp slugs and with a port and polish.
That would make the Bandit a Tuono killer (in a straight line anyway).
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:51 pm

yeah,your both right.

Before i got mine dynoed,it got 11.4 @117 point something over 1/4,and i was running against my mate with an R1,and he was getting toeee,I was nailing him until half track,then he passed me. Haven`t had it down the strip since the dyno,which was 5yr ago,it goes alot better,but I don`t really have any interest in going fast in a straight line.

I am building a higher comp/ and bigger bore with gixx cams dialed in for torque,not top end,although it will have more up top than standard. It will be all about coming out of corners and nailing it with absolute no lag!!

I`ve ridden alot of 1000`s,and i`ll never buy another one,they are purpose built,and I recon,useless on the road...take it to the track and leave it there!!!

a good motard would easily keep up with a 1000 on a real twistie
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

I had a basic motard DRZ400SM for the wife. There were a few people that couldn't believe I was up there clacker on some twisty stuff. It'd do 155 flat out, but you could easily throw it around compared to a heavy road bike. Really underpowered though.

Check out SBS Speedweek they have a 450GP class (dirt bikes with race glass) that's been created by Shock treatment. those things hammer for single cylinder bikes and Grant Hay seems to punt it around the track beautifully. Best of all if you crash it it costs you bugger all to fix.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:52 am

I agree lads. I saw a vid on YT with a ZX10-R against a Duke 990 at a race track somewhere in Europe. The 990 was leaving him for dead off the corners. It was only on the long straight that the ZX10R was catching up. IMO the Duke rider had much more skill, the ZX10R rider was missing apexes and such, but still torque is the winner when it comes to real life. In Japan I had a CBR1000R, GSXR1000, and even Hayabusas and ZX14s left in my dust off mountain corners on my FA with Stage 1, the one in the profile photo, that's me and my son Leo-kun. A CBR1000R smoked me once, but he was a loony with a smashed fairing "naked version", and he nearly killed himself 3 times, overtaking me over double yellow lines and using both lanes to do so, while I easily kept up with him, nice and safe. Torque> Power any day IMO. I'm no Casey Stoner, but I know my limits and don't exceed them!
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sat 17 Nov 2012, 6:23 am

My aim is to take a Ducati Diavel for a nice long test ride. Then tell Jan I have to sell one of her kidneys affraid. Well hey, thats fair. I've only got one.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:40 pm

Don't like the Diavel at all. Then again I am not old enough for a cruiser Razz

I'd have a Bking though. A bike that is fairly ugly, but has some character to it, I doubt I'd have a license 5 minutes after owning one though.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

reddog wrote:Don't like the Diavel at all. Then again I am not old enough for a cruiser Razz

I'd have a Bking though. A bike that is fairly ugly, but has some character to it, I doubt I'd have a license 5 minutes after owning one though.

have yolu ridden one of these?

i took one for a blat,the same time i took the V4 Tuono for a cane,back to back ride from the same dealer..

I love the torque,speechless really,the thing almost,but not quiet, picked up in 3rd from torque,not HP.

I`m still not sure about the Bking,I like the concept,but...17L tank is wrong for this bike,it should have a 20L,and the handling..well..I thought not to good,and I thought it would have more HP by feel,not by the figures claimed,180HP. You have this massive rush of torque(which is great,don`t get me wrong there) and then there seemed to be nothing more than the bandit feels at peek power(but who wants to ride at peek power,not me,just saying)

Make it slimmer,bigger tank,and handle better,and I`d buy one.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

Saw a Diavel a while back. It looked very mean and sounded nice. Not really a cruiser guy myself, (not old enough yet), but I could see myself on something like a V-Max when I hit my mid 50's. Wink
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down