Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tie down points

+2
madmax
chips
6 posters

Go down

tie down points Empty tie down points

Post  chips Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

Geez its been a while. Sorry I haven't been round, but with final year of uni and move from Brissy to Nth QLD I have been busy busy busy....

anyways, can anyone help me out.

I have purchased a Kaneg trailer mate and am wondering if the rear footbeg are strong enough to use as tie down points.
I haven moved the car yet or mounted the trailer mate into the trailer but am just testing options at this stage....

Here are the photos, feedback/advice would be appreciated....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150939443485678.405458.600015677&type=1&l=7d7b998799
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

tie down points Empty Re: tie down points

Post  madmax Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:19 pm

Looking at your photos, I'd probably loop it around the swing arm, one strap each side or choke a single strap around the rear wheel.
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

ok, around the swing arm... and for the other side how would you get it round the exhaust?

The other thing I'm concerned about is having the tie down point higher than the side of the trailer so that it is pulling down on the bike not up :-S
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 24 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

chips wrote:ok, around the swing arm... and for the other side how would you get it round the exhaust?

The other thing I'm concerned about is having the tie down point higher than the side of the trailer so that it is pulling down on the bike not up :-S

Go under the exhaust at the rear of the swing arm, or over at the front. Which ever works best so as when the strap is tensioned its not putting any stress on the exhaust.
Personally as I do with my kids trail bikes, I'd run a single strap around the rear of the rear wheel.
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:18 pm

ok, i tried that, but the problem is the high sides of the trailer mean that the straps are then pulling the bike up.... which is the last thing I want to do....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm

I'd go over the top of the tyre, the nylon webbing seems to grip the rubber really well and I have yet to see a strap move (I use 50mm wide) when I do this,

Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Dekenai wrote:I'd go over the top of the tyre, the nylon webbing seems to grip the rubber really well and I have yet to see a strap move (I use 50mm wide) when I do this,

Ok if you go around and choke the tyre, then it can't slip
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

i quite often tie my bike down,and at the rear,put around your swing arm either side,just in front of you axle,this is a very strong point,and at the front,i go over the triple claps and straight down to my ties,i also go through the front wheel to stop forward backward motion,maybe an over kill,but never lost it on a 1200km round trip.
they`re a heavy bike,so i wouldn`t be tying it down like a trail bike

Last edited by mtbeerwah on Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:52 pm

Depending on how much traveling your planning with the bike in the trailer I'd be using one of these Tyre-Downs:

tie down points Tiredo10

From KYA Racing in Melbourne, seen videos on their site of two two trail bikes locked down to the trailer when it was at an angle of 60 degrees and they didn't move. I've got the nylon strap version due to the shape of my rear tire, but these metal ones are great, with your Kaneg you can have the bike locked down in under 30 seconds. It goes below the exhaust to Eye-Bolts you put in the floor or the trailer (extra cost).

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Sun 24 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

Have you looked at something like this: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2557435.htm

I also found references to a Tyrebelt but couldn't find an image, good luck.

Ah I see I was beaten to the punch whilst I was looking for links. Embarassed
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 24 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

Re-Cycled wrote:Have you looked at something like this: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2557435.htm

That is the Tyre Down, Rob Purcell is who I spoke to about my "special needs" and he came up with the web strap version with the ratchets. If you are doing a lot of trailering it is well worth the money (about $160).
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sun 24 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

I wanted to get one of those with the Kaneg BUT I ran out of money as I chose to buy a ramp instead....

I also don't have the welding skills to put eye hooks in the floor of my trailer and again, at more expense with the move and still being an no income full time student I have no more money. I don't start getting paid until November :-(

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is.... Will where I have it tied down hurt the bike? It doesn't move and seems really stable especially if I bolt the Kaneg into the trailer?

Going over the tire with the straps I have doesn't seem to provide the same sideways stability that using the rear foot peg mounts does....
Can't go around the swing arms as it "lifts" the bike up hence making it less stable.

I know I'm using a high sided box trailer which is not the best option for towing a bike but it is what I've got and I have to make it work.... I don't want to compress the forks hence the Kaneg and would like to avoid spending money on welding stuff on to my trailer. The advantage of the Kaneg is 5 mins and 4 bolts it can be in or out of the trailer, if I weld on some tie down points then they are in there for life....

chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 24 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

chips wrote:I wanted to get one of those with the Kaneg BUT I ran out of money as I chose to buy a ramp instead....

I also don't have the welding skills to put eye hooks in the floor of my trailer and again, at more expense with the move and still being an no income full time student I have no more money. I don't start getting paid until November :-(

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is.... Will where I have it tied down hurt the bike? It doesn't move and seems really stable especially if I bolt the Kaneg into the trailer?

Going over the tire with the straps I have doesn't seem to provide the same sideways stability that using the rear foot peg mounts does....
Can't go around the swing arms as it "lifts" the bike up hence making it less stable.

I know I'm using a high sided box trailer which is not the best option for towing a bike but it is what I've got and I have to make it work.... I don't want to compress the forks hence the Kaneg and would like to avoid spending money on welding stuff on to my trailer. The advantage of the Kaneg is 5 mins and 4 bolts it can be in or out of the trailer, if I weld on some tie down points then they are in there for life....

did you read what i wrote? it can`t lift the wheel!! your pulling down. you will need to have some sort of tie down point,if you don`t want to weld,you could have removeable bolt down tie points,but will have to be on a structual point with compensation plates
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

chips wrote:

It will if you "choke" it, that is wrap it one full turn around the wheel then go to each side of the trailer.
madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

The eye-bolts can be bolted to the floor as mtbeerwah mentioned at minimal cost, the hassle with your higher points is your not getting the force coming down, you may get sideways movement.

The other thing I have on my trailer is a small 300mm long channel that holds the rear wheel, just some thick 5mm plate bent like a "U" with the sides about 60 degrees, this might help you keep the rear wheel from sliding sideways, again a pretty cheap addition.
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

thanks for all the advice and help fellas. Putting it together this weekend, will let you know how i go
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down