Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stebel Air Horns

4 posters

Go down

Stebel Air Horns Empty Stebel Air Horns

Post  ausrock50 Wed 30 May 2012, 11:26 pm

Can anyone give me some feedback on the reliability of the Stebel Air Horns?? I am thinking of fitting one but am unsure if I should keep the original 'just in case.' I have read the excellent earlier thread on one being fitted to a GSX650 Smile But would prefer not to have to keep the original fitted if not needed? Any suggestions on where best to fit one on a GSF1250s would be further appreciated Wink Thanks in advance. Very Happy
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Stebel Air Horns Empty Re: Stebel Air Horns

Post  barry_mcki Thu 31 May 2012, 12:45 am

I have one and was very happy with it with no problems encountered, however you will note below I am thinking of changing.

There are a couple of threads on here about fitting the Stebel (just use the search function to dig them out). Install is pretty easy as there are unused threaded mounting holes on the frame to bolt it (with an appropriate piece of bent steel). Wiring is into the existing horn connector, however you should use this to trigger a relay to supply the heavier current line to the Stebel.

However the Stebel did not get a good rap in the webBikeWorld comparison tests with water getting into the assemble if not mounted correctly and the horn section seperating from the compressor body - neither of these things have happened to my Stebel or anyone else on this forum that I know off, but has been noted on other forums.

Stebel Air Horns Webbik10

Whilst testing is always subjective the results of the webBikeWorld writeup had a disappointing finding with the advertised rating of the Stebel at only 81.9dn at 2 feet. Stebel advertise 115db at 2m but this test got a reading 33.1db less at 4.5 feet closer.

I have since ordered a pair of Hella Super Tones, they were rated in the same test at 107.7db at 2 feet.

As for keeping the original, when I installed the Stebel I initially took the OEM horn off. I have since put it back on in case anything does go wrong with the Stebel (or Hella when I get to replace it). I have also chased down a unit called a Screaming Banshee, this allows you to tap the horn button and it only triggers the original "sparrow-fart" OEM, but hold the horn button down for longer and the main horn is modulated (on and off rapidly) to scare the car drivers awake from whatever they are doing to endanger you.

Some may disagree with me but with any additional electrical equipment I always recommend running seperate fused/relayed main power and earth leads so there is no voltage loss or overloading the original bike wiring, just extra insurance. Here is a copy of my wiring if you are interested (the Screaming Banshee SB module can also pulse the headlights, I have it connected to my LED spotties):

Stebel Air Horns Scream10

Last edited by barry_mcki on Thu 31 May 2012, 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Stebel Air Horns Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Thu 31 May 2012, 8:16 am

Mines been installed for about 2 years and used in anger a few times with out any issues. I have mine mounted under the left hand fairing. Will take a picture later and post

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Thu 31 May 2012, 3:50 pm

Stebel Air Horns 04510

Stebel Air Horns 04610

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Fri 01 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

I have fitted several Stebels to different bikes and never once had a reliability issue. A loud horn, and if you mount on the faired GSF it never gets wet under the fairing.

I have a detailed breakdown on my blog at: http://kewwibike.blogspot.co.nz/2010/09/fitting-stebel-nautilus.html

Here's a general pic or two. The bracket is two pieces of steel painted black and bolted together:

Stebel Air Horns Stebel10

Stebel Air Horns Stebel11

Stebel Air Horns Dsc06210

Stebel Air Horns Dsc06211

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  ausrock50 Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm going to fit one as the standard is useless and all the pics and info really are a big help. Again thanks. Very Happy
ausrock50
ausrock50

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 02 Jun 2012, 8:11 am

Just make sure you use a relay and fuse. The current draw is too much otherwise.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down