Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NQ Tablelands

4 posters

Go down

NQ Tablelands Empty NQ Tablelands

Post  truck Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:31 am

Hey all,
me and a few mates are considering a ride bounce to the Tableands on the Queens birthday weekend and am hoping for some local area knowledge.

1. Besides the Gillies/Palmerston what other roads are recommended up that way for sightseeing/cruising?
2. Good places to eat that are reasonably priced?
3. Recommended places to stay either in Cairns or on the tablelands that are convenient to the ride? (so far numbers are 6 but will see closer to the day)
Any suggestions will be appreciated with thanks.
truck
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

NQ Tablelands Empty Re: NQ Tablelands

Post  BanditDave Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

The Gillies is a must do, 18Kms of twisties Very Happy .
I would suggest going up the Gillies from Gordonvale, tour around the tablelands and return down the Palmerston Hwy.
Ravenshoe and Herberton are both worth a look and if you have time, a run through to Cooktown or to Cape Tribulation should be included.
Lots of sightseeing things if that is what you seek.

In a separate post I provided details of the CCMTC run up there on the same weekend.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:58 am

That whole are is a must do ,The Gillies go up from the coast not down.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:39 am

Not sure where you guys are leaving from but Brisbane to Gordonvale is around 1600Kms (20hours).

Travelling up the Bruce Hwy for a bit of variety turn right just past Tully for Mission Beach then back on the hwy at El Arish

As Gus said, from Gordonvale head up the Gillies Hwy to Atherton. I don't think riding down the Gillies would be that enjoyable.

From Atherton through Herberton and back down the Palmerston Hwy to Innisfail.

I consider the best accommodation is pubs (a bit scarce these days) followed by cabins in caravan parks. 6 guys, 2 cabins for around $30 a head. June is in the main tourist season up here so accommodation may be a bit challenging (no problem with a swag/tent).

I reckon a good ride through the Atherton Tablelands could take about a week. Squeezing it into a long weekend sounds a bit challenging.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 22 Apr 2012, 4:19 pm

Hey, I didn't realise you guys were from Townsville and therefore much closer to Atherton Tablelands than I.

I'm probably telling you things you already know.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:15 pm

Yes thanks gents for the responses.
Were a bunch of blokes from my local church who enjoy bikes.
We did a trip up that way 3 yrs ago and stayed at the Atherton Big 4 which was close to everything we needed, they were only 1 night trips though.
Were leaving from the Yabulu Service station on the Saturday morning at about 7ish at this stage.
The Mission Beach turn off sounds like a good idea for a bit of variety.
I believe the Gillies is now signed 80klm/hour and I have heard has the average speed cameras fitted also.
Have heard of a trip north of cairns which is just beautiful views and big sweeping corners, so that is on the list for me to do too.
truck
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  joblue Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:29 pm

truck wrote:Yes thanks gents for the responses.
Were a bunch of blokes from my local church who enjoy bikes.
We did a trip up that way 3 yrs ago and stayed at the Atherton Big 4 which was close to everything we needed, they were only 1 night trips though.
Were leaving from the Yabulu Service station on the Saturday morning at about 7ish at this stage.
The Mission Beach turn off sounds like a good idea for a bit of variety.
I believe the Gillies is now signed 80klm/hour and I have heard has the average speed cameras fitted also.
Have heard of a trip north of cairns which is just beautiful views and big sweeping corners, so that is on the list for me to do too.
truck
G'day guys, I rode the gillies in December, there is no fixed speed camera's or otherwise, however the Nana police love to target bikes on long weekends and unfortunately there are groups of riders on pure sport bike who just simply push it to far on the range just adding fuel to the Nana fire. The latest technique is to have a lone individual with a hand held camera standing in the bushes on any point of the road. Its still a great ride just idiots and nanas take out some of the fun.
Cheers Blue

joblue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down