Huggy's hello. New Bandit owner from WA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Huggy's hello. New Bandit owner from WA

Post  Huggy on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 12:42 am

G'day all.

Been on bikes for a couple of years now. Did my first 12 months on a Honda vtr250, before moving on to a Honda cbr600rr.

Was enjoying that, but recently in a rather impulsive move decided I wanted something a little more commuter friendly so went and bought a Bandit.

I had a look at a few secondhand bikes, but stumbled across a brand new 2010 plated gsf1250 for $9330 ride away, so just couldn't resist the price and bought it.

Bike is black, naked and although lacking ABS really is (at least seemingly to me) great bang for buck!

Can't fault it so far. Plenty of torque, more than enough power to have some fun/get me into trouble and is much smoother to get around on than my (now sold) midsize supersports bike.

I came across this forum a few times while researching various things about the Bandit, so figured I might as well register and see what else this site has to offer.

Looking forward to learning more about these bikes and their various perks/quirks/idiosynchracies, as well as the usual comaraderie, laughs and banter that motorcycle forums have to offer.

Cheers
Huggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Huggy's hello. New Bandit owner from WA

Post  barry_mcki on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:26 am

Welcome Huggy - most of Eastener's have gone to bed, some of us really need the beauty sleep.

Sounds like you got a good del on the bike considering WA prices,

There are a couple of forum members over your way, I'm sure you will meet them soon.

Last edited by barry_mcki on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki

View user profile http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:27 am

Some of us are still awake!

Hi and welcome to the forum Huggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:40 am

Hi Huggy and welcome aboard. " Bang for your Buck " sums it up for sure. That sounds like a great deal. First topic for you should be an aftermarket can. Enjoy.
Hammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:19 am

Huggy.

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paul on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 7:57 am

Welcome Huggy Very Happy

paul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Huggy on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

@Hammy wrote:Hi Huggy and welcome aboard. " Bang for your Buck " sums it up for sure. That sounds like a great deal. First topic for you should be an aftermarket can. Enjoy.

Installed one last night Smile

It's a Delkevic can, ordered on the 21st of March, arrived yesterday afternoon from the US. Less than a week, can't complain with that!

Quick Q's regarding warranty though. Will having an aftermarket exhaust affect this? I've heard that it will.

Also, as far as the first service (1000km) goes, should I really bother spending $200-$300 for someone to change my oil and filter? Heck I've already dropped the oil in it after the first 50km, and have had no dramas with any other loose bits. I believe that is all a first service is anyway right?
Some apprentice drops your oil and then its a tick and flick that everything still works...

The warranty booklet seems to suggest that the bike has to have its 1000km service for the warranty to be valid.

Keen to look after the bike as best I can, but seems like I'm just throwing my money away getting someone to do something I can do myself.

Ultimately just paying for the dealer stamp! Laughing

Huggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

The first service must be done by the dealer so your warranty is validated. If you do the first service and then have to make a claim down the track good luck with that.

Ross.

View user profile http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:31 pm

@Huggy wrote:
Quick Q's regarding warranty though. Will having an aftermarket exhaust affect this? I've heard that it will.

I asked this question at Peter Stevens in Dandenong, their reply was "technically yes but we've never had a problem with Suzuki over them" (aftermarket exhausts)

I think at the end of the day, as long as the aftermarket addon, whatever it maybe, didn't cause the problem you are claiming about you should be right. Just don't quote me on that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Welcome aboard Huggy. Good to see the mods have already started - now you'll have to learn how to stop! Wink
Ewok1958

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:34 pm

A proper first service will not just be an oil change. The whole bike should be gone over to make sure everything is as it should be. Can is not a problem. If you take it in for the first service. Ask the workshop foreman ( and I stress Foreman ) if he thinks anything else should be done to compliment the new can.

Last edited by Hammy on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Hammy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 7:10 am

Welcome to the forum mate.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 9:31 am

Welcome Huggy. I saw you posting over on PSB. This forum is far more relaxed and the guys (and 1 or 2 girls) are eager to help out with any queries. Good luck, most things Bandit have been covered on this site. The bandit is no slouch, last track day I was able to keep at the pointy end of group 2 with R6's and other bikes that are far better bikes on the short Collie track.

BTW we should organise a Bandit get together in WA soon. I vote Dwellingup or Quindanning pub for a food/drink destination Smile After easter I'll try and kick one off.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum... sounds like a great deal on the bike..! I bought mine early in 2009 when it was only 4 mths old (its a late 2008 1250s) and had 1700 ks on the clock, it cost 10g's then... and I thought 'I' had a good deal! Smile Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

G'day over there on the far side, welcome along.
Kiwisteve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pops on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:21 pm

Hi & welcome Huggy.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Huggy on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:50 am

Thanks for the feedback and more welcomes.

@reddog wrote:Welcome Huggy. I saw you posting over on PSB. This forum is far more relaxed and the guys (and 1 or 2 girls) are eager to help out with any queries. Good luck, most things Bandit have been covered on this site. The bandit is no slouch, last track day I was able to keep at the pointy end of group 2 with R6's and other bikes that are far better bikes on the short Collie track.

BTW we should organise a Bandit get together in WA soon. I vote Dwellingup or Quindanning pub for a food/drink destination Smile After easter I'll try and kick one off.

Yeah, everyone seems a little more friendly here than on some of the other forums. Good to see.

Keen to hear more about this ride. Haven't been on a country run with my Bandit yet, so would be good to see how she goes!

Huggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Watdog on Sun 06 May 2012, 2:01 pm

BTW we should organise a Bandit get together in WA soon. I vote Dwellingup or Quindanning pub for a food/drink destination Smile After easter I'll try and kick one off.[/quote]

I'll be in this! Only a hour or so away from me.

Keep us in the loop

Watdog
Watdog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 06 May 2012, 3:37 pm

Hey guys Buellord on Psb is running an overnight ride to Bridgetown 19th May. If you're keen check out his in the loop post. Gary has a silver Bandit. I've ridden with him in the past and he normally has a good group of lads and lasses with him. He normally leaves Perth around 9:30ish and rolls into collie around 2pm after a lunch stop in dwellingup or Quindanning. It's a good weekend out for you to stretch the legs of the Bandit.

Might see you there.
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Watdog on Sun 06 May 2012, 3:41 pm

Sad
Night Shift

Have a good time but
Watdog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog on Sun 06 May 2012, 6:37 pm

Maybe a 24Hr mystery illness may come on Smile
reddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula on Sun 06 May 2012, 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Huggy. Another west ozzie in the crowd

@Huggy wrote:Quick Q's regarding warranty though. Will having an aftermarket exhaust affect this? I've heard that it will.
Not in my experience so long as it is not proven to be the cause of the failure.

@Huggy wrote:Also, as far as the first service (1000km) goes, should I really bother spending $200-$300 for someone to change my oil and filter? Heck I've already dropped the oil in it after the first 50km, and have had no dramas with any other loose bits. I believe that is all a first service is anyway right?
Some apprentice drops your oil and then its a tick and flick that everything still works...

The warranty booklet seems to suggest that the bike has to have its 1000km service for the warranty to be valid.

Keen to look after the bike as best I can, but seems like I'm just throwing my money away getting someone to do something I can do myself.

Ultimately just paying for the dealer stamp! Laughing

In my experience there is no problem with doing the first service (or any service) yourself so long as you can prove you have done what needs doing, used genuine parts and used oils, coolant, fluids etc that meet OEM specs.
I've done quite a few services and had to ask for warranty and not had any problems.
Make sure you keep receipts for the stuff you buy (filters, oils etc) and record what you do on the bike (a list, or a tick-n-flick sheet based on the service schedule)
Another good thing if you plan on doing some work yourself is to get yourself a service manual. They are available online for little cost. I have a copy you can use if you are close to me.

dhula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum