Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Continental Road Attack 2

+11
Jimmy the Boy
Corsa79
Kaupy1962
reddog
SkyGoddess
Ewok1958
Boatz
2wheelsagain
rolls
paul
Jimcoleman
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  - Page 2 Empty Continental Road Attack 2

Post  Jimcoleman Tue 14 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

ok getting ready for my first big scoot next month, notice that my Michelin PR2 is still good but it aint going to make it all around the trip. i'll have done about 7 to 8 thousand ks on it by the time its cactus, so i very happy with the tyre.

But i'm a bit interested in a Continental Road Attack 2 it seems to get a good write up and aussiebiker has them for $247.00 plus $15 Freight
so there a bit cheaper than the PR3

Anyone had a crack at one of these tyres and if you have what sort of milage do you get, i don't want to get it and find its worn out at 4000klm when if i'd spent a little more money get twice the Milage out of the PR3
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  - Page 2 Empty Re: Continental Road Attack 2

Post  Dekenai Tue 22 Oct 2013, 5:33 am

Summer heat is always going to be a killer out there.  Would consider a bit more air, as this will potentially reduce sidewall flexing and also reduce the contact patch size (putting more load on the hard centre compound).  Ideally, would test starting at 42psi and going up in 2psi increments checking the temp at each step, (bought an IR laser spot thermometer for track days which would be well suited to the purpose).  You would have to try to eliminate variables by doing a measured run (say 10 kms) and repeating the same run.  Do a warm up run before the baseline to get the whole show up to temp, (again to reduce the variables).  Some (mainly ads for tyre shops that do it) claim a nitrogen fill will allow tyres to run cooler but given your location this is probably not a helpful suggestion.

Would probably stop at about 48psi as you will get to a point where the reduction in temp. will be offset by loading up the smaller contact patch and the additional stiffness compromising grip.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Tue 22 Oct 2013, 2:26 pm

Corsa79 wrote:Ill be down in the Bay to visit the old over Christmas BanditDave as I grew up there.
Drop in if you like. PM me for details Very Happy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Corsa79 Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:50 pm

Well finally fitted the road attack2s and took it for a very spirited ride to see how they would go in 40 deg temps. Quite happy with them had 40psi front and 44 rear. felt tyre when I got back and where quite warm as warm as the sportsmax got coming back from Townsville and was quite happy to not see string pieces of rubber coming of of them like the sports max did. They obviously don't have the same amount of grip as the sports tyres but still seem quite grippy when warm. Had a bit of a oh shit moment at full noise on a sweeper but was also on cold first ride tyres. Prob wouldn't use them in colder climates. Will post more info after I head over to Townsville and down to Hervey Bay and back up inland over Chrissy and new years.
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:53 am

2wheelsagain wrote:

Are you saying you'll only get 8000 out of the PR2's Jim? That's about half what most get.
I was wondering the same thing, mine has over 11,000 on it and at least 4,000 of that has been 2 up with plenty of luggage
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 25 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

This is a post I put up on Canberra Riders in response to a question along the lines of what tyres should I use?  Though it might be useful as it is about tyre basics.

For street use I favour the round ones…now I should elaborate as some will construe this as an unhelpful remark.

Street tyres are of two basic families; triangular and round. Where the manufacturer seeks to serve the needs of sporty riders a triangular profile will be selected. This gives the tyre more grip cranked over at the expense of straight-line stability and longevity (as they tend to chew the centre out). As well, a performance rubber compound will be selected (as this is a tyre for ‘sports’ riders) which will be more grippy at operating temperature but will require more warm up and wear faster. Finally they will apply a tread pattern that favours contact surface over the ability to shed contaminants such as water and dirt.

Round profile tyres are favoured for general use. Where the manufacturer wants to provide an ‘all around’ tyre, a round profile will be used. The flatter centre section better resists ‘squaring off’, has better straight line stability, better corner roll-in, and additionally the compound and tread will be chosen for longevity, rapid warm-up and ability to disperse contaminants (particularly water). Importantly, the compound will also work across a wide range of environmental temperatures.

Rubber compounding probably features on the curriculum at Hogwarts because it is indeed a ‘black art’. I cannot claim to know much other than from experience, but performance compounds seem to undergo a state change around 0C and loose elasticity(?). The result being that they transition from OK to ‘Oh No’ without much warning around freezing.

If you walk down the tyre rack at your local shop and run your hand across the tread of a series of new tyres (it’s not a fetish unless you use lubricant), the roundness or triangularity (ugly word!) of each will be obvious.

You can save $$$ by looking at online retailers like BikeBiz and Peter Stevens. Joe’s will fit them for you for $15 ea. loose or $20 ea. on the bike. Put the $$$ you save in a jar and when you have enough go and get some rider training.

FWIW my current street tyre (round) of choice is the Michelin PR3.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Fri 06 Dec 2013, 3:04 pm

Chook wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Are you saying you'll only get 8000 out of the PR2's Jim? That's about half what most get.
I was wondering the same thing, mine has over 11,000 on it and at least 4,000 of that has been 2 up with plenty of luggage
Hi guys. New to Bandits so no experience on what Klm to expect from a tyre on these heavier girls, but Gsxr 750, Vfr750, Sv1000 I was always extremely happy if I got anywhere near 7000klm from a pair of hoops. 

Not sure what criteria you guys use to determine when it's time to replace, (strings showing at 12000 I suspect) but I always like to replace as a pair. No fun having a nice new front with a square rear or a fresh round rear with a scalloped front. Generally front scalloping has put paid to most of my sets of tyres. I have no faith in wet cornering when they're in that shape. The new dual compound tyres seem to have come through with providing longevity of the rears for me, but if I do get down to the wear markers I start to rob Peter. 
Being sports oriented bikes I did like to err on the side of stickier tyres, but most of my klicks have been on Michelin Pilot power, Pilot Road, and 2ct. 
Just got home on my new (second hand) 2010 Not Bandit and it looks as though the rear has maybe 1000 under inflated km on it and the front is absolutely shagged, so I am up for at least the front but probably go with a pair. 
Bought the bike for two up tour around Tassie, ultimately, so will be leaning more toward touring tyres. I think I will look at them PR2's. Should get a few laps of Tassie out of them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Fri 06 Dec 2013, 6:30 pm

Bosco i'd leave the conti Ra2  alone there are good dry tyre, but shit in the wet. i have currently got a set of Dunlop road smart 2s on they grip like shit to a blanket the dont get as unsettled as the PR2s & 3s do on  bumps but since i got the Gsx which handles oh so much better than the GSF i reckon 6k is going to pull me up but it has been a fun 6k
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Continental Road Attack 2  - Page 2 Empty Upate after roadtrip

Post  Corsa79 Sat 11 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm

Hi all the update I promised after my trip away on the road attack 2 GT. Fitted them around 4000Km when the OEM tyres where buggerd. I now have 8588km on the bandit and happy with the wear on the rear would say id be between 1/3 to half worn out with the centre flattening a little from the strait roads. The trip was leaving Julia Creek just before Christmas to Townsville for the work chrissy party heading down the coast the next day to the Yaamba pub 20km north of rocky. It has basic rooms and a great feed and cold beer Smile. Then headed down to Hervey bay to see the family. Went down the bruce highway down to Gympie and stayed with a mate at Ammamore. From there had a good day of ridding down to Imbile down to Burumba Dam and down over the ranges going through Kenilworth, Canondale, Maleny, Montville,Mapleton into Nambour and over to Coolum down to Maroochydore where the traffic just got to much back up through Coolum to Noosa for a late lunch. Headed back up to Gympie though Cooroy and Pamona. There was some really good winding roads to test out the cornering never had a moment with the road attacks found them quite grippy with the bike a long way over only a couple of mm I didn't use on the rear. Went though a bit of rain in Gympie on the way down and never found a problem with grip. Come back up in the Middle of the heat wave going through temps of 48 past Biloela though Bannana, Rollston Emerald before pulling up for the night in Barcaldine. Scooted along between some of the towns as for the distance and didn't make much difference to tyre ware in the heat. To finish up I love this bike great all rounder I belive had great fun on the windy roads but can cover great distances without problems. Just have to set it up a bit better for the freedom to leave the bike to do some bushwalking and other holiday activities when touring around.Tyres seem ok to will try the pilots3 if I am somewhere I can get them when I need new tyres.
Corsa79
Corsa79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2