Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust slip ons worth it or not ?

+9
potatomasher
madmax
Hammy
Dekenai
gus
2wheelsagain
Baz
Ewok1958
Tommo1965
13 posters

Go down

exhaust slip ons worth it or not ? Empty exhaust slip ons worth it or not ?

Post  Tommo1965 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:23 pm

a question to the riders that have pulled the stock muffler off and gone with a after-market slip on....Id like to know what difference it has made to the bike other than the noise...does it have more power..if so is that power really noticeable or just a bit......Id like more power, but I personally like the quietness of the stock bike.. I don't just want more noise....is the trade of worth it

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

exhaust slip ons worth it or not ? Empty Re: exhaust slip ons worth it or not ?

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

Each to their own. I bought the Yoshi R77 carbon because I liked the look of it and the extra noise. It does add 7% or so to the HP and torque figures (not just at their peak) but I don't reckon I really notice that (although I've done 21,000kms since I changed it so have probably long forgotton what the stock pipe felt like. I posted the before and after dyno curves on another post along time ago (no other mods so it is a good comparison). Would I do it again - hell yeah. Very Happy
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Tue 31 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

I changed the to a yoshi R77 but when I went on a long trip I changed it back to the stock just for that trip, and I think the stock can has a nice rumble to it but you can really feel the weight of it. I have changed back to the yoshi, I like the sound of that too. I don't like the idea of having to repack the yoshi though, so I'm thinking of getting a staintune

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

You're more likely to notice the less weight and better sound than more power although the engine will spin up quicker.
Beowulfs don't need repacking and mine sounds better than my carbon Remus on the FZ

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

Too heavy ,but the link pipe is good . Laughing
exhaust slip ons worth it or not ? IMG_2193
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:45 am

IMO, and in the absence of other mods, little to none. However, with just a little airbox modification and a TFI/Power Commander or similar, a very substanial improvement is possible.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:43 am

Nearly all a/m mufflers have a removable baffle that gives you the option of two drastically different exhaust notes in terms of db's. Muffler manufacturers in Qld are required by law to supply you with a db lable to attach to the motorcycle to indicate the db output. ( with the baffle in ). The weight saving is one of the biggest pluses to an a/m muffler. From memory I think my Staintune is 7kg lighter than the original. By far the most important fact though, is that your engine will breathe a hell of a lot easier. Well worth the money.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:52 am

Only 2 reasons for why I changed mine.
1, The original one is huge and sticks out like a sore thumb.
2, The bike was so quiet, it sounded more like a Suzuki Swift.

A Staintune fixed both of these issues.

I wasn't looking for a performance increase and if there is any I can't tell

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:14 pm

i didnt notice any difference - although with a carbon one it doesnt get hot so you wont get burnt if it gets on top of you for some unpleasant reason

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

I did a mod to my OEM can 6years ago, i pulled it apart and made it the same size pipe all the way through. I didn`t make it a straight through,the gas still had to go through two chambers, as i wanted quiet. The OEM has three different size pipes in it,decending from mid pipe, so i made it mid pipe right through.
The result in this was deeper note, free up the top end, but left a hole in mid range. I lived with this for a year, then put a yosh can on,and it was no different, hole in mid range and was free up top.
So went to dyno, as mine needed rejetting having any can on that breathed better,and was the only way to get the benefit of a free flowing can.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

Tommo1965 wrote:a question to the riders that have pulled the stock muffler off and gone with a after-market slip on....Id like to know what difference it has made to the bike other than the noise...does it have more power..if so is that power really noticeable or just a bit......Id like more power, but I personally like the quietness of the stock bike.. I don't just want more noise....is the trade of worth it

I have a Yoshi TRS as part of a Dale Walker Stage II setup. Baffle in it's quite pleasant sounding. A little louder than stock and it wails nicely on the throttle without being antisocial. With the baffle out it is definitely louder, but still not too bad. There's not a lot of difference to the seat of the pants power with baffle in or out, but it makes another 20-25hp over stock with the TFI and filter and is a hell of a lot lighter than the stock can, and looks better IMHO.

A can by itself won't make a lot of difference. You need to add fuel and air in the right ratio and it comes alive.

If I was sensible the bike would be stock, but since when has logic and large capacity motorcycles sat well together?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

Hey guys,
I just performed the stage 2 mods to my 2007 GFS1250S. Prior to that I had a Delkevic can and a TRE that I bought from England. Just with those two mods, the mid range was stronger especially in the bottom 3 gears. I estimate at least 7 hp with gains all through the rev range. It's definitely worth the effort. If you can, go for the stage 2 mods, the bike is truly transformed!

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

some good info...what is required for a stage two mod ?

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

Full details at www.holeshot.com, but in brief:

• Slip on exhaust
    K and N filter
    Airbox top removed completely
    O2 sensor bypassed
    Dobeck TFI box with Dale's magic settings
    Secondary butterflies removed

Over 20 hp gain, much faster throttle response and a faster, torquier, rortier, more responsive bandit.

Stage 1 keeps the secondaries.

Stage 3 adds headers for a full race exhaust

Done 'em all and they all are well worth it if you want the extra power and something quite different.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:44 am

Ive read that removing the secondary s loses some engine braking and other tune issues, is that true ?..... are there any tuning issues after a stage 2 mod ?

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:10 am

Hey Tommo,
I haven't noticed many drawbacks except for slightly higher fuel consumption around traffic. I was hesitant myself but I'm glad I bit the bullet. You'll notice a midget dick's loss of power below 2000 rpm with the airox opened up and the secondaries out but the benefits are too good to ignore. Basically 20% increases in torque and power for a few hours work.
Cheers
George

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

The benefits outweigh the slight loss in engine braking. I have noticed no change in fuel consumption unless I ride hard, but that is to be expected. If I wanted economy I'd be on a 650. Put it this way, all of my Bandit riding friends tried it once and immediately wanted me to set their bikes up the same.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Thu 02 Feb 2012, 9:07 pm

When I took the stock pipe off to fit the hugger I was very surprised by its weight...
I'm still not convinced about an add on but am slowly thinking the stock pipe will come off eventually.
I'm liking the holeshot pipes...
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down