Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen

+7
poohduck
NTBill
paul
chips
boomer
2wheelsagain
suzbandit
11 posters

Go down

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Empty Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen

Post  suzbandit Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

I didn't see a review on this one so here goes.
I got fed up with the wind blast, helmet buffeting, wind noise and sore neck every time I encountered a strong head wind so for once decided that it was going to be function over form.
I'm 6'2'' which meant that with the standard screen the airflow hit me in just about the mid chest area. I choose the taller of the screens because if I did get the correct airflow, for me, I would have the screen I wanted. If it was too tall I could always trim it down to where I wanted it. I've done around 800 klm with it so far in varying condition. Here are some observations.

1:Easy to fit once you realise that the instrument cluster is only held on by the two inner screen Allen key bolts below it and the rubber push on/pull off system with which the cluster is attached. Took me half an hour to work that one out.
2: The airstream hits me mid visor. Hardly if any buffeting. Twenty percent less wind noise in the helmet.
3: No wind pressure at all on the chest and very little on the shoulders. This goes for "normal" speeds and those well above it.
4: Can't hear the Staintune pipe, inner is out, at higher speed anymore which is strange because overall wind noise has gone down somewhat.
5: You have to get used to not having wind pressure on you because you tend to get into corners faster then you did before. It's kind of weird because it feels more like a fast armchair now.
6: It's all too easy to upset the law and you're bank balance now because going quicker doesn't bring on the windblast/noise and hanging on any more.

Overall I'm very pleased with this screen. Sure the bike looked sportier with the standard screen but I can live with the appearance of this one.
Price $168.20 delivered to Hobart, Tas
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/product_page.php?pn=172

[img]screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Dsc00112[/img][img]screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Dsc00113[/img][img]screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Dsc00114[/img][img]screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Dsc00115[/img]

Last edited by suzbandit on Wed 02 May 2012, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Empty Re: Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:39 pm

Is a big screen but if t works for you has fantastic.
I have the original screen and get different buffeting depending on helmet/jacket combo.
The FZ has a much smaller and narrower and the buffeting is almost identical.
My point is I think a lot of buffeting is caused by low pressure areas.
Well done on finding a screen that suits.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Empty Re: Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen

Post  suzbandit Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

At one stage I thought of trying the bike out without any screen thinking that without that concentrated airblast on your chest riding might have been more pleasant.
Has anyone compared naked vs fairing riding on these bikes? "I should have worded this differently?"

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Fri 27 Jan 2012, 3:58 pm

thanks for the write up! i'm thinking that i may be placing an order for one soon.......

FarRider #412

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:08 pm

how long did it take to come?

I've been waiting 6 weeks for a zero gravity double bubble....

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Fri 27 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

chips wrote:how long did it take to come?

I've been waiting 6 weeks for a zero gravity double bubble....

about time to ring them & see what the hold up is I would think .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  suzbandit Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

I ordered it on 6/12/11. When I enquired about the lenght of time it took to have it delivered I was told that the screen I had ordered, part of a shipment, had disappeared in transit between customs and their address. It was delivered 25/1/12 so yes it took a while. Other people have had quicker deliveries then that. Might pay to give them a call.

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:33 pm

have started a new topic, don't want to hijack yours....

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

Thahks for the write up and pics. I've still been wondering about something to replace the vario for distance riding with the pillion. Vario does nothing for her apparently. I assume this might extend that protection a bit further along the bike.
Cheers.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

Post  suzbandit Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

The better half suggested that re buffeting things are much the same for her. It's a pillion's lot I think sitting behind the rider. Lots of disturbed air.

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:22 pm

I think you're right and is Probably the case for the bandit/FA. I know on my Bavarian GS (800) fitted with the madstad, the protection for both of us is perfect. Great for bugs and rain. Just can't bring myself to fit a madstad to my FA tho. My missus will just have to develop those neck muscles.
NTBill
NTBill

Back to top Go down

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Empty some questions for a tall guy

Post  poohduck Wed 02 May 2012, 7:54 pm

Hello Suzbandit. I’m a fellow Hobartian and very interested in getting a bandit Smile I’m checking one out this Saturday to see how it fits me. I reckon I’m going to be needing a bigger screen too. I’m 5’11” and sit straight up for the sake of my back. Do you have to look through the screen to see the road? I can’t really tell from the pictures. If you sat on the bike and hunched down 5” to imitate my height (I’m laughing) are you looking through the screen? And Smile while you’re motoring along and you’re pretending to be 5” shorter, how is the airflow down there?

And Smile how do you find the fit of the bandit? I’m asking this because I’m also considering a v strom for the more stretched out riding position, but I really want the bandit to fit. Sitting on it for 5 minutes doesn’t tell me what it is like to ride or live with (no demo bikes available). If you humour me I hope you don’t get any funny looks in the process of hunkering down like boy racer Smile

poohduck

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 02 May 2012, 8:00 pm

Poohduck. You might like to duck on over to the " Introduce Yourself " section before you start asking too many questions. Smile
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Wed 02 May 2012, 9:33 pm

Hammy wrote:Poohduck. You might like to duck on over to the " Introduce Yourself " section before you start asking too many questions. Smile

Before 2WA turns you into Roast Duck. Razz

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  quizguy Wed 02 May 2012, 9:48 pm

quizguy

http://www.scorpioduo.com/   http://www.triviashow.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  suzbandit Wed 02 May 2012, 11:57 pm

Hi there poohduck. Where did that name come from???
Answering your question....at 6'2'' I don't look through the screen.If I was to lower myself 5'' I would look through the top of the screen.You can get a clear screen as well.
The wind on your helmet would obviously be less as it would just about clear the top. Less wind noise also I would think. I've noticed that some of the beyond 2009 models,unlike mine, have handle bars which are a little taller promoting a more upright riding position which fits in with having a taller screen, should you get one. I've jacked up the front of the seat and put a sheep skin on it to make my rear last a bit longer. It's easier on the knees as well. I find the Bandit a very satisfying bike to ride. You can play boy racer and be a Ulysses member, do I hear shreaks of horror??, as well.It does everything well without excelling at any of them. Apart from the grunt department that is. There are four Bandits, 1200 and 1250, with the mob I ride with and all are happy with them. I've never ridden a Strom but I know what I'd be going for. If you're a tourer the Strom might be the gadget. If you like the option of a bit of action occasionally the Bandit will deliver plenty of smiles.

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  poohduck Tue 08 May 2012, 4:20 pm

Thankyou suzbandit. I'm only 3" shorter so it is looking better again - I thought you were 6'4".

I'm not keen to look through a screen; the helmet visor is enough, but the touring screen sounds like it is the go.

And thanks for the feedback on the fit of the bike too.

I made up poohduck in frustration - my previous usernames, although unique, were soon picked up and used on other forums. When I thought of it I laughed; because of that I thought it was a good one.

poohduck

Back to top Go down

Post  suzbandit Wed 09 May 2012, 9:58 am

Did you make a decision on which one is the preferred bike?

suzbandit

Back to top Go down

screen - Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen Empty ZG Screens

Post  amcmo Mon 21 May 2012, 3:25 pm

Phooduck,

We have both the Double Bubble and the Sport Touring in stock if you're after them, and the club member price is $120 for the Double Bubble and $129 for the Sport Touring.

07 5451 8733.

amcmo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down