Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S

3 posters

Go down

SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S Empty SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S

Post  b12mick Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:30 am

Yesterday we decided that as the weather was brilliant for riding (just a bit windy) we'd dust the cob webs of my wifes M750 and go for a ride.

So I followed our usual routine. Opened the garage started the Monster, opened the gate, started the Bandit, rode the Monster to the top of the driveway turned the engine off, rode the Bandit to the top of the driveway and turned the engine off. Closed the gate, closed the garage and got geared up.

We then started the bikes and rode to the service station (about 50meters) and filled up. Now usually this particular service station isn't open on Sundays so we have to ride between 2-5 k's to the next nearest servo. After filling the bikes, we started the bikes and the Monster burped and farted. We didn't think much of it. Rode down the road about 2km with the monster continually burping and farting and had to stop at an intersection when the Monster burped, farted and stopped. She got it going again, then it did the same thing again at the next set 2 sets of lights.

We thought that as it hadn't been ridden for a while it'd 'clean' itself out in a couple K's. Nope, no such luck. The monster had no power and was burping and farting more and more, but at least now it wasn't stalling.

We got about 10k's from home and thought we'd best head back. Got home, let the monster cool down a bit, then grabed the tool kit from under the seat. The M750 tool kit consists of a double ended screw driver and spark plug spanner, that's it nothing else. So I try to use the spark plug spanner to take out the spark plugs. Nope, it's not going to work, the spanner is to bloody small. Fuck I hate ducati's.

So I get the tool kit out of my sons FZ6, nope the spark plug spanner is still too small. Ok, the Bandit to the rescue, yep the right tool is in the Bandit's tool kit. So I now get the sparkplugs out, the top plug (rear cylinder) doesn't look to bad, the bottom plug (front cylinder) is black and oily. Yep fouled plug.

A quick check of the manual and it should take Champion (I can't remember the part number) plugs. The ones I removed where NGK. Not that it matters thought I. Anyway, down to REPCO and cross our fingers. Beauty, they've got 2 in stock, just the right number. Back home and put the new plugs in. Crap, the sparkplug spanner from the bandit doesn't fit, it's too big, and then bloody tank falls on my hand, fuck I hate ducati's. But the one from the Monster does fit, brilliant.

Get the bike started and I go for a very quick 20k ride to make sure it's working. Fantastic, it's all good. Get back home and before I can suggest that we go for a quick 150k ride my wife informs me that we're going round to a mates place for afternoon tea. Geez his beers tasted so damn good.

So some lessons learnt.

Don't start and stop the Ducati when it's 'cold'.
Always make sure that if you have non OEM parts fitted that your tool kit has the right sized tools in it.
Bandit's are better than Ducati's.

Oh just so you know this isn't the first time I've used something from the Bandit to fix the Ducati. A couple of years ago the 'toe shifter' from the gear leaver fell off. After pricing up a new gear lever from Ducati, no you can't just buy the 'toe shifter', I had a thought. Went out to the shed and pulled out the 'tie down' bolts that get removed when you fit a ventura rack. Hey presto, the short one fits the monsters gear lever perfectly, and doens't look to bad either.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S Empty Re: SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S

Post  Dekenai Mon 18 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S 2r6fq84

They do look cute though Smile
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S Empty Re: SUNDAY NON RIDE TURNED BIKE MAINTENANCE - BLOODY DUCATI'S

Post  Cameron Mon 18 Jan 2010, 9:30 pm

b12mick wrote:Bandit's are better than Ducati's.

10 points. cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down