Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

popping and banging ???

+6
dhula
kewwig
2wheelsagain
holdenman
gus
OLDANNAKED
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

popping and banging ??? Empty popping and banging ???

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 3:55 pm

Gday guys, oops and girls, I read somewhere on the site in the mechanical section about popping and banging (backfire) after you change the muffler, I have just fitted an IXIL with baffle removed and on overrun its like an M16 can some one help me with a cure, I have just done the airbox mod and the bike is running rich, yes I know it should be much leaner now but give it a rev and black smoke comes out, I am as soon as I have the moolah going to have the bike dyno'd and a power commander fitted at the same time, would appreciate your thoughts, oh and here's a pic of the bike.popping and banging ??? Dsc00611popping and banging ??? Dsc00612
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

popping and banging ??? Empty Re: popping and banging ???

Post  gus Tue 25 Oct 2011, 4:02 pm

Put "pair removal " in that little search box .

Most asked question i think .No cost fix .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 4:46 pm

exactly which pipe do you block off , there are two pipes coming off the reed valves and another going some where is that the one you block ??
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

The one going back to the airbox. there is a joiner halve way along

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

Thanks for that, its a simple fix but does it affect anything else ?? does it fool the computer into thinking its to rich and lean it off, its ok blocking it off but does it have any detrimental effect on anything else I just want the backfiring to go away until I get a power commander and have it all set up properly, as I said in the previous post its now running way to rich and it would be the unburnt fuel causing the backfiring, suppose I just want to know I am not going to bugger anything else up with a quick fix ???
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

The poping is due to the unburnt fuel in your system.
A crackle is generally heard. There is something wrong with your fuelling and a PC won't fix that.
Go back to square 1 and start again.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 25 Oct 2011, 6:16 pm

What airbox mod did you do? All the mods involve cutting holes and removing plastic somewhere, which make it run lean. Very hard to make a Bandit 1250 run rich without adding fuel with a TFI or a Power Commander, or by having a totally choked air filter (or very over-oiled somewhere). Is the smoke black, blue or is it the oil burning out of a new end can?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

Hear what your saying and understand that it should be running on the lean side, but it is definitely rich, air box mod was three large round holes cut in the lid i did not go the whole hog and cut away most of the lid, air filter is as clean as a fat mans plate at the dinner table, mind you the standard muffler was sooty before I changed to the IXIL so I think the system needs remapping to lean it out, I bought the bike as a demo with 2000 ks on it and its now done 2700 ks so I recon it may have been wrong from day one and not so noticeable when it had the standard pipe on. Oh and its black smoke when you give it a rev you can see black smoke not a lot but it should not be there. And I should mention that since the muffler and air box changes the bike goes like the clappers much more responsive just a little rich and backfires.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:24 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:The poping is due to the unburnt fuel in your system.
A crackle is generally heard. There is something wrong with your fuelling and a PC won't fix that.
Go back to square 1 and start again.

If I went back to square one I would have to put the original muffler back on and plug the holes in the air filter box coz thats all thats been done so I cant see the point in doing that, and a PC should fix it coz it would lean out the mixture and stop unburnt fuel in the system dont you think ??
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:27 pm

The popping(backfiring ) you are hearing is just air getting injected to burn any excess fuel. blocking the pair system off wont hurt it. i would let the black smoke for a couple of rides if you have just put the can on . let it clear its system since its not restricted up

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:36 pm

If you think the bike is running rich, pull the plugs and confirm it one way or another. Don't guess at the state of fueling cause you can see black smoke or that the pipe is a bit sooted up. Black smoke is not always a sign of running rich, just one of the common ones that everyone knows of.
If it is running rich or way too lean, find out why and fix it before adding a PC or other power up mods

IMO if there is some sort of fueling problem, a PC will not fix it, just mask it.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

So now it's running ok again. It sounded like a rag was left in there to me. Just a thought. But if it's now running well, then I guess not. Also, how many ks did you ride it when it was running "rich".
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

I think it was Rick, Who said he's was running rich when he got it. dynoed confirmed it.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

Dyno will confirm it for sure. But I'm with Dhula... pull the plugs and check, sooty exhaust can be from running 98 octane. My tuner said run 95 and nothing else as 98 is sooty.

I've done all those mods and more and the only time mine had black smoke on throttle application was when I forgot to replug in the hose for the IAP after I did the throttlebody sync. Mind you the bike was running like a hairy goat. Plugged it back in and all fixed
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:08 pm

Hang on guys we seem to be loosing it , I have a standard GSF 1250 with 2700 ks all I have done is put a link pipe with an IXIL muffler and done the airbox mod as far as I know the bike was running 100% before now the above has been done it backfires on the over run and I have noticed there is slight black smoke when I give it a rev, probably never noticed it before when original muffler was on now correct me if I am wrong but what mods I have done should not affect the bike drastically so I am thinking a pc with correct settings should solve the problem by leaning it out.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Tue 25 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

OLDANNAKED wrote:Hang on guys we seem to be loosing it , I have a standard GSF 1250 with 2700 ks all I have done is put a link pipe with an IXIL muffler and done the airbox mod as far as I know the bike was running 100% before now the above has been done it backfires on the over run and I have noticed there is slight black smoke when I give it a rev, probably never noticed it before when original muffler was on now correct me if I am wrong but what mods I have done should not affect the bike drastically so I am thinking a pc with correct settings should solve the problem by leaning it out.
If it is running well, don't panic. I ran my with the same mods for 3 months with out a problem.

How much smoke? have a look at the smoke coming from my bike's exhaust. more or less?

*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:03 pm

Reardo wrote:
OLDANNAKED wrote:Hang on guys we seem to be loosing it , I have a standard GSF 1250 with 2700 ks all I have done is put a link pipe with an IXIL muffler and done the airbox mod as far as I know the bike was running 100% before now the above has been done it backfires on the over run and I have noticed there is slight black smoke when I give it a rev, probably never noticed it before when original muffler was on now correct me if I am wrong but what mods I have done should not affect the bike drastically so I am thinking a pc with correct settings should solve the problem by leaning it out.
If it is running well, don't panic. I ran my with the same mods for 3 months with out a problem.

How much smoke? have a look at the smoke coming from my bike's exhaust. more or less?

Probably a bit less , thats what I mean nothing to get worried about its more the backfiring I want a stop to thanks.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

OLDANNAKED wrote:
Reardo wrote:

Probably a bit less , thats what I mean nothing to get worried about its more the backfiring I want a stop to thanks.

So we've gone from worrying about it running rich to just eliminating the backfiring?
Without hearing it its a normal by product of a shorter free flowing exhaust.
The only time mine backfires in on the over run on a partial open throttle. A fully closed throttle is pretty quiet after the initial pop.
I haven't blocked off the PAIR system and we have a different pipe fitted though.
If yours is like a machine gun it sounds like you have partial throttle.
Post a video and give us a listen.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

OLDANNAKED wrote:

Cool. I can't remember if i read it or not, have u blocked the pair pipe yet? it's eaaasssyy Twisted Evil

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
OLDANNAKED wrote:
Reardo wrote:

So we've gone from worrying about it running rich to just eliminating the backfiring?
Without hearing it its a normal by product of a shorter free flowing exhaust.
The only time mine backfires in on the over run on a partial open throttle. A fully closed throttle is pretty quiet after the initial pop.
I haven't blocked off the PAIR system and we have a different pipe fitted though.
If yours is like a machine gun it sounds like you have partial throttle.
Post a video and give us a listen.

Thanks for the input , but I was never worried about it running rich I only mentioned it in my first post as I wanted a cure for the back firing and I wanted to have all the facts/symptoms explained.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  OLDANNAKED Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

Reardo wrote:

Have not blocked the pair pipe off yet but thinking of getting rid of all that mess under the tank and getting a removal kit from holeshot and doing a proper job of it , also asked him to quote on postage for a set of headers if its to dear maybe another set from a different manufacturer,.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:23 am

My opinion, if you want to get rid of all the PAIR stuff is to get a TPO kit as it's cheeper (or at least was when I did it) and does the same job. I had to ask for the resistor to act as the PAIR valve and it was included for free. From what I know if you don't ask for it, you won't get it but that may have changed now.
There are other options like removing all the hosework and capping the ends with some appropriately sized heater hose plugs or similar.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 26 Oct 2011, 7:46 am

Carnt get a cheap as making you own .A hacksaw ,drill and a file ,you have that .Alloy, scrap bin somewhere .Resistor $12.
A wet arvo well spent .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

popping and banging ??? Empty Re: Popping and banging

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:11 am

Mine was the same. I bought it at 260ks with everything stock except for the Yoshi muffler. The popping and banging is a rich mixture. The black smoke is the crap that built up in the cat from the rich mixture. It will clear out. What I have done to mine is, reset the TPS, added a smart TRE(yes it does make a difference) Yanked out the Secondarys. and for my next trick, Removing the pair valve system. And yep it's still running slightly rich but not too rich.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

popping and banging ??? Empty Re: popping and banging

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

Oh yeah , almost forgot I'm also about to do a Throttle body sync as per Duhla's instructions now that my Carbitune kit has arrived
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next