Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So why the Bandit?

+5
2wheelsagain
Dink.1170
dhula
boomer
Cameron
9 posters

Go down

So why the Bandit? Empty So why the Bandit?

Post  Cameron Sat 28 Nov 2009, 5:47 pm

Just want to hear peoples thoughts on why they actually decided on buying a bandit.

For me, it was a big decision as i only just got off my Ps and off a GS500.
I knew i wanted a big naked bike. Loved the old school looks compared to most of the other nakeds around. The other thing was the price. When i saw how much i could get it for, i was laughing.
I didnt ride it before i bought it, so it was a bit of a gmable. But luckily i love it and wouldnt want anything else.
And will probably always have one in the garage.

Admin

Back to top Go down

So why the Bandit? Empty Re: So why the Bandit?

Post  boomer Sat 28 Nov 2009, 8:09 pm

easy. value for money. i was in the market for a larger bike than the DL650 i was coming off, but my budget wasn't too flash. i also didn't want or need anything too sporty, but wanted something comfortable that was also capable for shit's & giggles.

FarRider #412

So why the Bandit? Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 29 Nov 2009, 12:23 am

It gave me the biggest grin when i test rode a whole bunch of bikes

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Dink.1170 Sun 29 Nov 2009, 7:32 am

After many years spent on older bikes; Katana 1100 & a GSX1100EF(still have both BTW), my fortyeth came around this year, I told my wife that this year I wanted a new bike and she agreed queen no arguenment or anything. So I started looking, cut it down to a short list, and then shorter and shorter until it came down to a choice of two. A Busa or the Bandit; now I am fairly tall and lanky so I struggle to fit on a lot of bikes, so I asked at the local dealer if anyone had one of either I could sit on. It turned out a guy I know had a 1250 and lived only a few blocks from me; he was happy to bring it around and I fitted on it, I didn't test ride it. Whilst he was here he said he was thinking of selling it, so I bought it; it had 2100 kms on it. I got the bike with tank protector, rad-guard, fitted sheepskin seat cover, topbox and panniers for $1500 less than a new one; without all the accessories.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 30 Nov 2009, 1:13 pm

I had just stuck my RF900R into a tree Sad and decided to sell it instead of repairing as it was a limited edition #32 it would have lost a lot of value with the rebuild (not comp insured either) I finished up with a fantastic price (and it now lives not far from where we went for a slide!).
So I was looking for a touring replacement. I liked the later 1200's but felt they were over priced compared to the new EFI 1250. There was no arguement from the boss either so I started looking for one to test ride but couldnt get one as they were all sold prior to landing. I had sat on one while on holiday in Florida (sat on a ZX14 too and thought about bringing it home $10,000 USD). I found a dealer who went the extra yard for me and kept in touch and they got the nod. I didnt want the panniers and sold them when they arrived 5 months after the bike did.

On the road and taking into account the pannier sale my bike cost me $11,000. Hows that for value?

EDIT: P.S. I still want another RF900R Smile

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Mon 30 Nov 2009, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : P.S.)

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 30 Nov 2009, 3:14 pm

Why the Bandit? I had a GSX600F and needed a bigger bike as my pillion was growing (eldest son) and the poor old 600 just couldn't cope two up anymore.

Before buying the B12 I test rode the following;

Ducati Monster 900 (found a box full of neutrals, liked it alot but couldn't live with it, fortunately my wife bought a 750 monster, now I can have the fun of riding a monster without having to live with it)
Ducati ST4 (Great bike, too expensive)
Ducati 748 (loved it, but couldn't live with it)
Ducati 750ss (as above)
Ducati 900ss (as above)
Honda CB750 (crap and boring)
Honda 900 hornet (too small, no good for pillion)
Harley Davidson Dyna Glide sport (too expensive)
Harley Davidson Softtail Standard (worst bike I've ever ridden, it caused pain)
Kawasaki z750-zepher (boring)
Kawasaki ZXR1200s (didn't like being ridden in town)
Yamaha Fazer 1000 (didn't like being ridden in town)
Yamaha XJR1300 (didn't like it)
Suzuki GSX750F (not different enough to the 600 I already had)
Suzuki GSX1400 (very nearly bought it)

I very nearly bought the GSX1400, then I asked the salesman about aftermarket screens, and he said he could save me over 2 grand and sell me a bike that had a screen, a Bandit 1200s.

I'd always wanted a Bandit, and so (without actually riding one) I bought it. That was 7 years and 50,000km's ago, and I couldn't be happier. I've test ridden a shyte load of bikes since, and there's only been one (a BMW R1200RT) that even came close to tempting me, but I couldn't justify the 30 grand, and I'm not quite ready for that much touring in my sports tourer.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  solerida Wed 02 Dec 2009, 9:24 am

As already mentioned ..Value for money.
And it is good enough to ride around town or get up and piss off for a tour type of bike, seemed to me, its the type of bike that can be what ever the rider wants it to be.
Also this is my first road bike.
solerida
solerida

Back to top Go down

So why the Bandit? Empty Why I bought a bandit

Post  Davo Thu 03 Dec 2009, 3:27 pm

My mate has two bandits and a Kat. My first bike was a Vulcan 800cc Kawasaki. No grunt. Also after 42K in 14 months time to get rid of it. So I bought a VStar 1100. I really flogged the sh**** out of it. Again every time we went somewhere I always seemed to be looking for a petrol stop. After 39K in 16 months, I convinced myself (or was it my mate?) to buy the bandit. Then I proceeded to hot it up - never satisfied. I use a bike everyday and the bandit is just great to weave in between traffic, but also has grunt to get away. Whilst probably not the best at twisties - its more than I can handle. And with the changes I have done it is a great tourer/cruiser/sport bike for me.

So what Mods have I done - Full fairing imported from Suzuki Portugal factory. oxford heated grips, Givi side panniers (43ltr - fit two helments in each) - no I dont have four heads!!!,Ventura Rack, HID low beam light with delay start relay,Yoshi Muffler, Stage 11 Holeshot mods, Audiovox Cruise control, HEL handlebar risers and pullback. Pro-oiler chain oiler, Laminar Lip Screen extension, Air Hawke seat (used only on long trips).cigarette lighter plug so I can connect my Nokia phone with GPS. Have a phone bracket on handlebars

About the only thing left to do is get the Holeshot headers to complete the package. By then though the bike will be ready for trade in (done 41K in 16 months which also included a loss of licience for 6 months- he he did I stop riding?)

Real question is would I buy one again? I looked at all the touring bikes and all I found was a big bike with an even bigger price tag. I get all the benefits they have (except no CD/radio player --- yet) but at a saving of at least $6000 on a comparable bike. So unless prices drop for these bikes or the suzuki goes up, will probably stick with a new one. Then I can just transfer everything over. It certainly is the best bike I have had, both for fun, comuting, and long distance riding. Would just love to fix the seat, but have issues about leaving the seat to get modified by an upholster - ie cannot get to work!!. Also how can i be sure after parting with money that it will fix the problem.

So summing up - great price, great all round bike, and meets all my needs.

Davo

Davo

Back to top Go down

Post  step_andy Thu 03 Dec 2009, 9:27 pm

Was looking for something with a but more umpf from GS500F and with ABS. Came down to sv650, Vstrom or Bandit. Bandit was a winner in terms of value for money and seating position.
Bough it without a test ride. No regrets.

step_andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down