Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great rides...

+5
Kaupy1962
reddog
2wheelsagain
Re-Cycled
Mpottsy
9 posters

Go down

Great rides... Empty Great rides...

Post  Mpottsy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:04 pm

There are a great many forums that mention, I did this great ride and I did that great ride I went here and I went there. This is great well done but where do you start what is the route you take etc.

I would like to make a suggestion and start a new tread where people can put up their routes and share their great adventures. Maybe just maybe if it is large enough our Illustrious leader could make a special area on the home page just for routes and rides. The problem I have is that I just am not from around here and have no idea where places are. How long does it take to get from place to place. The Misses and I plan to travel all over Australia and enjoy all that it has to offer on two wheels not limit ourselves to just NSW. I know I could spend my evenings with a map book and pen and work some out, however there are enough of us to share why this rout is more enjoyable than that route.

For those of us who have GPS it can be a simple mater of downloading the information into a piece of software and getting all the street names and I would be more than happy to do this for people. I just need to be shown where these great rides are.

Another suggestion is that If those of us who have GPS we could share the route file and simple up load to the GPS again. those of us with Garmin units we could even share the routes using myGarmin connect.

Gentlemen i give you the floor or in this case the roads your thoughts if you will....

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Great rides... Empty Great minds think alike.

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:10 pm

I was just thinking today about a thread for places to stay e.g. I'm sure we could recommend the place we will be staying in Neville.

I saw a brochure for accommodation near Blacksmiths Beach today and I thought "this is no good for me but would be valuable for other members travelling to this area"

So do we need a rides thread and an accommodation thread or can they be combined?

Last edited by Re-Cycled on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Great rides... Empty Re: Great rides...

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Good idea Smile
I'm happy to link a few google maps to a thread sticky if Cam makes one.
I don't use a GPS becoming directionaly challenged is half the fun Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

Any ride near a dam or hills is always enjoyable. If anyone is over the southwest of WA I'd be happy to show you some of the better roads. Not keen on talking about specifics in case big brother is watching Smile ( Tin foil hat on )
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

Here's a lap that I do at least once a year to see the folks in Wangaratta;
Note there is an error in the map near Piedmont

Google Map

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Great rides... Empty RE: Great Rides

Post  Kaupy1962 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:41 am

There's a good run from Wangaratta to Whitfield then across to Mansfield and down to Lilydale. Another run I did was from Wangaratta to Bega via Kosciuszko. That was a great ride apart from the worry beads on some of the bends.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

hmm..i like this idea. so how about a whole new section dedicated to rides?
I know us sydney boys have some pretty awsome roads around. so im happy to go for some rides, take some photos and write a ride report about each ride.
At least that will give me an excuse to get out and ride Very Happy
And id love to here about, and see, what other states have to offer in terms of motorycle roads.

Good odea guys. cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Great rides... Empty Great Rides - Bega Valley

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 9:58 pm

This is a great 167km loop - I'll write it up properly once the thread is started - or is this the thread? Either way, notes to be added.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Bemboka,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Candelo,+New+South+Wales+to:Wyndham,+New+South+Wales+to:Bombala,+New+South+Wales+to:Bemboka,+New+South+Wales&hl=en&sll=-36.733381,149.473114&sspn=0.322474,0.52803&geocode=FVsa0f0dXkHqCCmxhdTxnDY8azFQBkSQtAkGBA%3BFaH_zv0d8iXsCCmbdIYo-yM8azHQB0SQtAkGBA%3BFVqGzP0d0HbrCCnvJK-KSRo8azFAEUSQtAkGBA%3BFXrDzP0d3DHlCCkRsmjKJns8azHw2kOQtAkGBA%3BFVsa0f0dXkHqCCmxhdTxnDY8azFQBkSQtAkGBA&mra=ls&z=10

How do you change the above long URL into something smaller?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm

Ok, got it! Link to Map.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:31 am

Looks good Ewok

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

One of the best rides I've done (I actually do it a couple of times a year) is from Tumbarumba to Albury via Jingellic on the Murray River Way. Or you can turn off at Granya and do the Granya Gap road and end up in Tallangatta.

My favourite ride is from Tumut to Rosewood via Wondagla (Green Hills Rd/Broadleaf Park Road). Doing it in reverse isn't as good as the road is bumpy and potholed due to loaded logging trucks heading out of the forests.

Another good ride, if you don't mind a bit of dirt, is Tarcutta to Tumbarumba via Westbrook rd.

Actually, head towards the mountains from here and you can't help but find good roads. Although, I try and stay of the Snowy Mtns Hwy as it can be heavily policed.

If you're like me and have fondness for narrow country back roads there's a couple of nice runs from Gundagai. One follows the Murrumbidgee River and you can either end up at Coolac, Adjungbilly or Jugiong (if you don't mind long stretches of dirt) depending where you turn off. Or from Gundagai you can head to Muttama (Turn on to Burra Rd from West St). From Muttama head towards Cootamundra for about 10km (2nd right) then first right (Rose Hill Rd) then follow this to the Jugiong-Harden road turn left to go to Harden.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm

This is also a good ride if you're down 2WA's way. Route

The bit between Gormandale and Yarram is written up in some books as one of the great rides in Australia. Watch out for farmers and cattle on the roads though. I added the bit to the east of the South Gippsland Hwy to make it more interesting - the hwy along there is a bit boring. I assume my sideroad detour is bitumen - perhaps 2WA could verify. Smile If you have a trail bike there is a very interesting side trip to Tom's Cap (a smallish hill) in the middle of the bush where you find a memorial to Angus McMillan (an early explorer to those parts - there are quite a few memorials around Gippsland to him). It marks the spot where he first sighted Bass Straight - and indeed, you can see the waters from the memorial through the scrub.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

I'm starting to feel the need to take a week off to do the Southern Highlands , say next February. Anyone else?

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:08 pm

I'd be keen but with WSBK in Feb (and I'm anticipating a trip to WSBK) I'm likely to find it difficult to get the time off. But if I can, I'm in.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

This also should be good. I haven't been to the Prom for many years and this loop would be a good way to do it.

Route
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:This is also a good ride if you're down 2WA's way. Route

The bit between Gormandale and Yarram is written up in some books as one of the great rides in Australia. Watch out for farmers and cattle on the roads though. I added the bit to the east of the South Gippsland Hwy to make it more interesting - the hwy along there is a bit boring. I assume my sideroad detour is bitumen - perhaps 2WA could verify. Smile If you have a trail bike there is a very interesting side trip to Tom's Cap (a smallish hill) in the middle of the bush where you find a memorial to Angus McMillan (an early explorer to those parts - there are quite a few memorials around Gippsland to him). It marks the spot where he first sighted Bass Straight - and indeed, you can see the waters from the memorial through the scrub.
I missed this when it was posted. The Hyland has recently had extensive works done to try to cut the appalling death toll. Its a good ride but people die on it with regularity! The road through Giffard to Seaspray is mostly single strip bitumen and can be chopped up in places. Its OK but just a warning. Personally I would also run up the coast from seaspray to golden beach then west to long Ford then sale.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Great rides... Empty great rides

Post  paul Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

this sounds like a great idea for longer rides although some of the smaller scenic rides (eg through the Adelaide hills etc. could be a bit hard to explain ) I would be willing & hopefully so would others to take visitors (weekends probably ) on a local trip to see some of the sights .obviously it would need to be pre arranged which could be done via the forum , pm , or members list.

Last edited by paul on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:This is also a good ride if you're down 2WA's way. Route

I missed this when it was posted. The Hyland has recently had extensive works done to try to cut the appalling death toll. Its a good ride but people die on it with regularity! The road through Giffard to Seaspray is mostly single strip bitumen and can be chopped up in places. Its OK but just a warning. Personally I would also run up the coast from seaspray to golden beach then west to long Ford then sale.

Must catch up with you 2WA when I'm down Gippy way for more than 5minutes. It really is an old stomping ground and there are many good roads as you know (every time you put up some video of your rides I thought about retiring!!).
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down