Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearshift Linkage

3 posters

Go down

Gearshift Linkage Empty Gearshift Linkage

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

Got a bit fed up with the notchy gearbox on the B1250 6-speed so decided to adjust it. Completely randomly, I lengthened the linkage a few turns thereby lowering the shift lever (which I thought was fine where it was). Have only done 200kms since but, and this might be imagination, I reckon it engaged more smoothly. I'll report back after a few more kms.

PS: the bottom locknut is the one with the left hand thread.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Gearshift Linkage Empty Re: Gearshift Linkage

Post  Fossil Mon 27 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

If you lengthen the linkage won't that raise the lever ? Glad it's working for you - I'd like to shorten the lever by about 10 - 15mm for a bit more boot room.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

You're right of course Fossil - I meant I shortened the linkage to lower the lever. I reckon it has worked too although maybe too early to be 100% certain. I might shorten it a smidge more to see what happens. Funny thing was, it felt like the lever was in the right place but I've decided it wasn't and still maybe isn't. I think there is maybe too much play in the whole shift mechanism.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 27 Jun 2011, 5:49 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Got a bit fed up with the notchy gearbox on the B1250 6-speed so decided to adjust it. Completely randomly, I lengthened the linkage a few turns thereby lowering the shift lever (which I thought was fine where it was). Have only done 200kms since but, and this might be imagination, I reckon it engaged more smoothly. I'll report back after a few more kms.

PS: the bottom locknut is the one with the left hand thread.

This is what the mechanic at my local told me was the main issue with my box. This plus the oil change has made the box feel like a totally different beast very happy with it. It might also shorten the linkage a little further too..

I was wondering if a speed shifter might also make a difference? But then my main issue was the down shift!

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Fossil wrote: - I'd like to shorten the lever by about 10 - 15mm for a bit more boot room.

I should qualify that - I meant I'd like to shorten the actual lever that contacts your foot, not shorten the linkage.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down