Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine harshness

+5
jaba01
2wheelsagain
gus
holdenman
skinner
9 posters

Go down

Engine harshness Empty Engine harshness

Post  skinner Tue 31 May 2011, 1:17 am

In the 5.5kmls I have done since I bought my gsx1250fa I have become increasingly aware of the engine feeling harsh and more vibration being felt through the bike as engine revs increase,it's definitely not the chain or running gear and I'm not imagining it,I had a quick spin up to 130mph(on a private track of course Razz )yesterday,and where originally the engine felt as smooth a silk,this time the vibes were quite intrusive.
A mechanic at my dealers took it for a spin and said it was within Suzuki parameters for the model Sad
Any ideas guys?
skinner
skinner

Back to top Go down

Engine harshness Empty Re: Engine harshness

Post  holdenman Tue 31 May 2011, 7:49 am

TPS and Sycronisation may help

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 31 May 2011, 8:06 am

+ 1 also check torque of engine mounts. In fact check all fasteners . I dont trust dealers .Haven't got cheap and nasty tryes ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 31 May 2011, 9:11 am

Check chain tension too. The specs for these are too tight and if the alignment is slightly off you'll feel everything.
Where are you feeling the vibes? You'll be shocked at how much the tank vibrates so if you're feeling it through the "nads" thats normal but the bars/pegs/seat should be silky smooth.
Have a look at some of my videos and you'll see the only place the camera is affected is when its mounted on the tank.

What bike are you comparingthe vibes to?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Tue 31 May 2011, 11:54 am

Sounds like time for a Big bore kit, cams & Nos?

As Gus says, look for the obvious first.........lose bits or something not running true. Laughing Maybe even a slightly dodgy plug?
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 31 May 2011, 2:52 pm

If you just brought it then take the bike back and get them to fix the thing.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 31 May 2011, 4:04 pm

Reddogs right ,it should be smoooooooth .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 31 May 2011, 9:16 pm

I guess the question is what the heck is vibrating? The Bandit has no reputation for anything other than silky smooth (my 1250s had sharp mirror vision at 200 kmph (on the track of course)). So what is causing your vibration after 5.5 kms? That's a trip to the local after all, so nothing could have worn out - it has to be a component failure, particularly if it has increased to such an extent in 5.5 kms. Did a wheel balance weight fall off?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 31 May 2011, 9:36 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:I guess the question is what the heck is vibrating? The Bandit has no reputation for anything other than silky smooth (my 1250s had sharp mirror vision at 200 kmph (on the track of course)). So what is causing your vibration after 5.5 kms? That's a trip to the local after all, so nothing could have worn out - it has to be a component failure, particularly if it has increased to such an extent in 5.5 kms. Did a wheel balance weight fall off?

I think it means 5.5 Kilo-miles ie 5500 miles Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  skinner Wed 01 Jun 2011, 4:15 am

Thanks for your input guys,i'm sure its an engine issue.
Tyres are good,chain adjustment/alignment is ok,going to take it to a local non franchised mechanic who I trust, for his opinion.
skinner
skinner

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:58 am

Chain adjsutment is pretty critical to these things especially for vibes and stuff. I found that if you adjust the chain so that it "just" touches the swing arm rubber when pushed up gently when the bike is sitting on the centerstand it's about spot on so you get ~5mm slack when sitting on the bike (with my 100kg arse). This is presuming you have stock gearing still

I'm guna presume at 5500m the bike had had a service. If not get one done, it could be a simple as that.
TPS set correctly (IMO don't do the screw adjust method as you end up setting the throttle shaft to the sensor and not the sensor to the throttle shaft) and a proper TB sync (shit I just realised that I haven't posted up my new info) may sort this out also.

As suggested also check engine mounts (including the ones that are hard to see) and frame join nuts/bolts (the ones on the right of the bike).

If that doesn't help let us know and we can help out some more.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down