Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are tyres from USA rubbish

+7
dhula
grumpy60
gus
Dekenai
reddog
2wheelsagain
Bandit46
11 posters

Go down

Are tyres from USA rubbish Empty Are tyres from USA rubbish

Post  Bandit46 Mon 09 May 2011, 12:28 pm

I have booked my Bandit in on friday for a service,fit the new Beowulf and fit the tyres at an all up price of $325 and he said they would tune the bike to suit the muffler,whatever that involves. Quite reasonable I thought. When he asked me where the tyres came from and I said USA he said they are rubbish,old stock and hard to fit so therefore he had to charge $100 to fit them. What do you all think on that statement,personally it sounds like sour grapes.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Are tyres from USA rubbish Empty Re: Are tyres from USA rubbish

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 09 May 2011, 1:29 pm

You need to find a new service centre mate. You're being ripped off big time.
No tuning is necessary for just a muffler change. A dyno tune might be a slight advantage but no adjustment is necessary. I'm not sute where the new hoops are made but they will be to an international standard. IMHO He's justified in charging a premium to fit them but $50 would be my limit ($20 - $30 regular fitting)
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 09 May 2011, 2:07 pm

That is bollocks. Find a new place. I got charged $25 a tyre at my local Kawasaki dealership (Kawasaki Country in Bunbury). They are a good crowd. Charging $100 is an absolute insult I would complain to the manager as it shouldn't matter where the tyres came from
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 09 May 2011, 5:13 pm

+1, This is pure bull, unless you have a power commander or similar how does this genius think he is going to 'tune' it anyway?, and given the litigious nature of the US does anybody think that any manufacturer would market inferior product there. Let your wheels do your walking.

Cheers
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 09 May 2011, 5:55 pm

Cancell the service ,(youve been called away havnt you ) ,and go somewhere else .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit46 Mon 09 May 2011, 7:17 pm

Thing is everyone my bike has only done 8200 kms so the last 2 annual services were minor services and still cost about $280 at the dealer I originally bought the bike from and the quote I got this morning was from a smaller Suzuki dealer in Perth so it seemed reasonable. The quote was actually from the bloke that owns the shop. My main enquiry was his comment on Tyres from Jake wilson being old stock,poor quality and difficult to fit.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 09 May 2011, 7:32 pm

should be a date code on the tyres, post a question up on Max-Suzuki about where Michelin put it and how to decode
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Mon 09 May 2011, 8:31 pm

Dekenai wrote:should be a date code on the tyres, post a question up on Max-Suzuki about where Michelin put it and how to decode
then share it with us...................Grumpy jocolor
grumpy60
grumpy60

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 09 May 2011, 8:40 pm

Bike can be tuned to a degree using the inbuilt adjust-ability in the ECU. This is accessed by using a yoshi box or similar suzuki specific tuning tool (there is even info out there in the WWW on how to build your own for ~$50 in parts). If the user knows his/her shit can be done in about 5 mins without need to put onto dyno and will get pretty damb close. Obviously on a dyno is the prefered method and far far more accurate.
IMO there is no real need tho as the bike will adjust somewhat by itself.
If you are really wanting to get this done come to my place and I'll use one of my settings and all for free. It takes longer for the computer to flash up than it does to load the changes.

If your bike has only done 8200 KMS and been serviced and TB's synced as many times as you've mentioned I'd suggest you do it yourself. Read your user manual as it will point out what needs doing. Download a service manual (you can even get it for free from partshark.com) for those bits that are not in the user manual (not much for what you need I recon).
Oil and filter cost ~$60 depending on the oil you choose (Off topic - Triumph say to use semi or full syn and will not be happy if you use dino)

I thought you'd already put the Beowulf on so what is the go with taking it to the shop to have it fitted. It's a 10 minute job

I call bollocks on the tyres, noone else seams to have had problems from what I have heard. If there was a lot that did I recon JW would loose heaps of coin and quickly as it would spread like wildfire in the bike community, just look back t that SCA add.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:54 pm

You are being fleeced on that lot.
As for tyre comment what a load of rubbish! They come from the same supplier, built to the same standard?

On the sidewall of the tyre with be the manufacturing date as below:
Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:
In the example above:
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
07 Manufactured during 2007

Your can should be a 30 minute job best?

If you take the wheels off yourself & take them into Tyres for bikes in Vic Park $50 for 2 fitted & balanced! Just ring them prior to see if they are still the same price.
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit46 Tue 10 May 2011, 9:26 am

Answering some of your responses,the quote was $175 for the service,$50 for 1/2 hours labour to fit the muffler and tune it into the bike (whatever he meant) and $100 to fit the tyres. I did fit the Beowulf but couldn't get the last 1-2 mm of gap around the strap out so after what Freeway said about the muffler slipping back after the oem clamp loosened I thought stuff it the bike is due for it's annual service I will strap it on the Ventura rack and they can fit it .And the code on the new 023's is (dot enas dak 1510) which after the advice someone supplied means manufacturing date 51st week of 2010.I have seen that Vic Pk dealers comments repeated by someone else on PSB before so he is I think just trying a bit of a scare campaign against imported tyres.I did ring around most of the big dealers including the one where I bought the bike and they all wanted $80-$100.I am having the tyres fitted this morning at a service center down Kenwick for $60 and I can live with that.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Tue 10 May 2011, 7:28 pm

Hope it all went well with the fitting bandit 46. $60 doesnt sound bad at all.

Well done jaba01 for communicating how to decode the tyre information to identify the manufacturing date.
This is reusable information we can all use Smile
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy60 Tue 10 May 2011, 8:23 pm

well done Jabba.....had heard about these codes years ago but memory not so good now....thank you...................Grumpy jocolor
grumpy60
grumpy60

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Tue 10 May 2011, 10:03 pm

That Google thingi is a very clever fella...........

The set of BT023 I got about 6 weeks ago were oct 2010 & dec 2010. It would be interesting to check some of the dates on the dealers racks?
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  xpalan Wed 11 May 2011, 12:17 am

I too just brought two sets of tyres - BT023's and the date on these are mid to late 2010 .
xpalan
xpalan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit46 Wed 11 May 2011, 2:13 am

Had the 023's fitted yesterday(big improvement over oem Dunlops)took the mechanic about 45 mins as he was instructing an apprentice and I think $60 well spent.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit46 Sun 15 May 2011, 3:48 am

Just to finish off this topic this week,had the bike serviced on friday and the muffler fitted! I don't think they fitted it any better than I did as there was still quite a gap around the hanging strap and I asked them to tighten it further. This dealer charged $20 on top of the bill for waste disposal from my bike. Is this becoming common practice????
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 15 May 2011, 7:02 am

Yes but $20 seems high ??
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Sun 15 May 2011, 8:22 am

Bandit46 wrote:I have booked my Bandit in on friday for a service,fit the new Beowulf and fit the tyres at an all up price of $325 and he said they would tune the bike to suit the muffler,whatever that involves. Quite reasonable I thought. When he asked me where the tyres came from and I said USA he said they are rubbish,old stock and hard to fit so therefore he had to charge $100 to fit them. What do you all think on that statement,personally it sounds like sour grapes.

Yes indeed sour grapes. I had my local garage fit mine and put dynabeads in for only $80 this was because they are rural and can charge a higher rate than city places as it's a cornered market.
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down