Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POP POP POP

+4
gus
Mars
Ewok1958
Mpottsy
8 posters

Go down

POP POP POP Empty POP POP POP

Post  Mpottsy Sun 08 May 2011, 9:35 pm

Okay i know the title is a little vague..

SO what is my story well! its a fairly simple thing I recently changed my Stock pipe to a Scorpion slip on with baffle fitted. It was an early birthday present from her in doors (she really does love me and my passion oh and she is a total rev head). The noise it makes is fantastic just the deeper rumble on idle says it all in sound. A few runs on the bike and I am very happy. I then decided to try the new can with the baffle removed and again the tone from the bike was pure joy and music to my ears (however an investment in earplugs is required for longer riding) the problem however is that the bike now makes popping noises on deceleration....

Now not being a mechanic of any note I am assuming that this is being caused by fuel not being burnt correctly and thus igniting in the pipe headers. I have seen a number of articles in various sites and forums and am now totally confused as to how to solve this problem. scratch

DO I
a) need the bike to be remapped?
b) go down the lines of fitting something like a TFI box?
c) re fit the baffle and live with a quieter bike and not notice the popping sound as much?

or is there other options that i am missing?

all help and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Scorpion Pipe
Givi Set with Admore Lights
Garmin Zumo 660
DW Stage 2 with Secondaryectomy
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

POP POP POP Empty Re: POP POP POP

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 08 May 2011, 9:53 pm

Quite a few people seem to raise this issue when they change the can (possibly including me!). With a bit of searching of the site I think you'll find the answer to your questions. I'm not qualified to comment on the three options you've mentioned but my understanding is that the PAIRs system is largely responsible - it injects air into the exhaust to reduce emissions but at the same time adds the oxygen that any unburnt fuel needs to ignite. Someone will correct me if I'm spruking crap. My Bandit with a Yoshi R77 can pops, farts and crackles like crazy on throttle overrun with and without the baffle - fantastic! I'm not at all inclined to 'fix' it but each to their own of course.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Sun 08 May 2011, 9:58 pm

This will solve it:
PAIR block mod - Easy and worthwhile mod, popcorn machine decommissioning
How_to link: >> http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=799456
Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 09 May 2011, 9:07 am

And i love a easy fix that costs nothing .Some people like that snap,crackle ,pop sound but to me it always sounded like the bike was out of tune.
I like the even BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRR sound on overrun. And i HATE that Harley that goes past my place thats so f....n loud .Its obvious he doesn't
ride it anywhere further than the corner shop or his brain would have exploded if it hasnt already .( Drag race loud )
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 09 May 2011, 9:12 am

The short answer is; The new can isnt doing anything the old one didnt do its just that you can hear it now because the new can doesnt have a million chambers inside to muffle the sound. I like the pop and crackle mine makes but it really only makes it on a partially open throttle. At fully closed there is vertially no pop. No one else seems to have commented on this. Suspect

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 09 May 2011, 9:18 am

That interesting i thought mine did (S,C,P) on a closed throttle . If it wasn't raining I'd pull the bung and try it . If it clears i will for the sake of science.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 09 May 2011, 12:20 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:The short answer is; The new can isnt doing anything the old one didnt do its just that you can hear it now because the new can doesnt have a million chambers inside to muffle the sound. I like the pop and crackle mine makes but it really only makes it on a partially open throttle. At fully closed there is vertially no pop. No one else seems to have commented on this. Suspect

My scorpion pipe (without the DB Killer) does the same thing. I like it so never commented on it. At least I can now hear it over my wifes Ducati, but only just.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Thu 19 May 2011, 1:17 pm

Dale Walker TFI box with K&N filter and O2 sensor bypass and Pair Mod has solved all the noise. I now have a nice deep Burrrrrrrrrr note from the Exhaust without the DB killer and no more snap crackle and pop on deceleration.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down

Post  2010banditsa Mon 23 May 2011, 4:56 pm

I know its been done to death in here, but stuffed if i can find it..... what do ppl use to jam in the pipe other than earplugs like the link shows. Thanks
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 23 May 2011, 5:05 pm

Anything that fits .Like a cork .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 23 May 2011, 5:10 pm

Go and get yourself a 12mm shanked bolt long enough to have a unthreaded section on the shank at least as long as the little pipe that comes out of the hose. probably cost about $1 from nut and bolt shop or bunnings .
Cut the head off the bolt and cut the shank the same length as the little pipe bit that came out plus a bit to be sure.
File the ends down so there is no sharp bits and it looks peerdy
Fit is up and bob is your uncle (or dave, or peter.....................)

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Mpottsy Mon 23 May 2011, 6:34 pm

2010banditsa wrote:I know its been done to death in here, but stuffed if i can find it..... what do ppl use to jam in the pipe other than earplugs like the link shows. Thanks

If you are buying the holeshot kit and o2 sensor by pass then it comes with a little rubber bung to put in the pipe, the plastic connector makes sure that what ever you stick in it stays in place when you reconnect the hoses.

Scorpion Pipe
Garmin Zumo 660
MRA Vario Screen
Oxford Grips
VCM Seat

HID conversion
Mpottsy
Mpottsy

Back to top Go down