Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistons and ATRE

+6
potatomasher
kewwig
Mars
Dekenai
dhula
geekay007
10 posters

Go down

Pistons and ATRE Empty Pistons and ATRE

Post  geekay007 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

A couple of quick questions lads.

Anyone tried hi-compression pistons on a B1250, and if so where can I get some?

Ditto for the ATRE.

Any feedback re performance gains/ drawbacks would be appreciated.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Pistons and ATRE Empty Re: Pistons and ATRE

Post  dhula Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:17 pm

I don't think you'll find too many people have tried hi comp pistons in the 1250 yet but I have seen a few retailers with them available. Bandit already has 10.5:1 and to go much higher will need other mods to make it beneficial. IMO if you are after HP/tork then the other mods will be money better spent before changing the internals. (Better still spend some coin on handling and stopping improvements unless of course you are a 1/4 mile at a time kinda person)

As for the ATRE, there are some for the gadget and some against. I did the getto pink wire mod which cost me zilch and found a difference so it's up to you I guess.

Last edited by dhula on Wed 12 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 21 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

Hi-comp pistons are in works at Holeshot and should be available soon. Have a look at Maximum-Suzuki for more details.

Cheers

Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 6:16 pm

dhula wrote:As for the ATRE, there are some for the gadget and some against. I did the getto pink wire mod which cost me zilch and found a difference so it's up to you I guess.

What is the pink wire mod? I hope it only involves cutting a pink wire. Does that mod 'de-retard' the timing in the lower gears?

The reason I was thinking about Hi-comp pistons is that my CBR 1100XX had a comp ratio of 11:1. I figure if I can bump it up to that, it might give another 10-20 hp. I really want my Bandit to pump out close to 140 hp.

Thanks for the input lads.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 21 Apr 2011, 6:48 pm

Dude, do some research before comparing oranges with apples

The CBR is a different engine and makes it's HP and torx

Pistons and ATRE Ho_cbr1100xx_so_2004-2006_diag

in different areas compared to the bandit.

Pistons and ATRE Su_gsf1250bandit_so_2007-2009_diag

(Pics courtesy of Akra site)

While 140hp out of a bandit is doable (I think a german mob got 151 hp) it's guna take a fair bit of mods to do so and hi comp pistons are not the only thing you will need. One of the restrictions to high HP output in the bandit is the size of the TB's and to change these will cost bigguns. Once you do that what else will need doing you must ask yourself.

The bandit IS NOT a CBR1100XX so it will not behave like one. Ride it for what it is and enjoy it or go and buy the CBR back if you are after that kind of performance

Doing the pink wire mod is as simple as cutting/removing the pink wire but it will not give you more HP or torx. It will remove the ign advance restriction in the lower gears and top end speed restriction but that is all it does.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Mars Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Thought Stage 2 with headers provided close to what your after. ~132hp. ??

Mars
Mars

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 8:21 pm

Again, thanks for the input. I'm not trying to turn the Bandit into a Blackbird, just wondering if anyone's gone with high-comp pistons that's all. As far as power output goes, the BMEP of the engine will be a factor in it's output. If the comp goes up, you will get more power by default. I was curious if anyone here knew as I'd scoured several search engines and hadn't found any info on Bandit 1250 pistons.

Thanks again

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 21 Apr 2011, 9:17 pm

I have the GiPro ATRE. Great gear indicator and as far as I can tell, makes no difference to power at all. This is a common view across the various forums. Best power gains from my experience with Dale Walker Stage 1 and 2
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

register on max-zuk if you haven't already and then have a look at this thread
There are a few others I've come across in my travels out in the WWW, may take a bit to find is all.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Fri 22 Apr 2011, 7:36 am

it might be just me---but why??? i have never felt any absence of urge with the bike and the only time higher powered bikes would out accelerate it [if that matters crucially] is over about 180ks or something so who cares? it would be cheaper to buy another bike if you need 140 hp. spend your money on the suspension bounce

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

Thanks guys.

Can anyone point me to where this mysterious pink wire is located? I would like to cut it this weekend.

Thanks for the post dhula, I'll buy the pistons once Dale Walker sorts it all out.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

geekay wrote:As far as power output goes, the BMEP of the engine will be a factor in it's output. If the comp goes up, you will get more power by default.

Everything is great in theory. In practice and the real world sometimes the math does not = a good result that is usable.

Bumping up compression brings with it some other things that need to be done to make the hp/torx, it not always a case of "it happens by default".

Last edited by dhula on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:51 am

True, but with the TFi box, the fueling can be made to run quite rich so adding the extra fuel won't be a problem. I doubt bumping the comp up a few tenths will create havoc eg. new TBs, new radiator etc. I'll wait until Dale Walker puts a kit out. At least I'll know that a pro has done the hard yards. He doesn't seem like the guy who'd put out a dubious kit. As far as installing them, I owned a servo for 10 years so it isn't a problem in terms of labour and tools. I'm more than happy to strip an engine down myself. A nice project for the holidays at the end of the year perhaps.

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Fri 22 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

I think it was on the Yoshi site or a yoshi supplier site. about a 1250 with 140hp using the new yoshi cam & headers, airbox mod, etc etc. by memory I think the cam moves peck power up about 1000rpm & added 10hp.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

Cheers Reardo.

If I do go that route, I think I might leave the cams alone. I like the down low grunt. 140 bhp was pretty much a nice sounding figure I pulled from my arse frankly. Anything over 125 hp will do nicely. I'm keen on derestricting the ignition timing in 1st gear though. Any idea about where to locate this mysterious pink wire?

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 22 Apr 2011, 6:23 pm

find the gear position sensor connector plug located under the rh side panel (three pins one of which is pink) found in about the same spot as the o2 sensor connector plug

remove the pink wire from the connector block (fiddly but you'll get it).
Insulate the wire
Ride on

NOTE: doing this will stop the gear position indicator on GSX650F and GSX1250F working. Neutral light will still work and gear indicator will show "0" or "-" when in neutral.
Doing this mod essentially selects 6th gear ign map in ECU.
Does not throw Fi warning or store DTC that I know of however I have not done it on a 2010+ bike

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 22 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Bugger top end HP. Do yourself a favour if you haven't already. Drop a tooth on the front and you won't care about HP figures.

Thats for the ZX14/ Hayabusa owners to worry about.

Our bikes are a cheap bigger bore muscle/touring bike. They are not high HP straightline supersports.

My bike all up with mods has cost around $14500-15000. Still only putting out around 130HP, can do the quarter in 11.3ish seconds and easily does the tonne. What more do you want?

P.S. I'm in the TRE does 3 parts of stuff all camp. Don't bother with it unless you want a gear indicator and it's part of it. Dyno graphs don't lie, and we ran mine multiple times with and without the TRE without any apparent gains.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  5-shot Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:49 pm

Dhula,

I'm really struggling with those neat power charts you gave us. Are those faint lines in the background supposed to be torque curves? If so I'm missing something. Horsepower equals torque times rpm divided by 5252. That being the case, at 5252 rpm horsepower and torque should be equal and they are not on those charts. Do you guys use a different system from us? Torque reported if pound-feet?

Ed

5-shot

Back to top Go down

Post  geekay007 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:52 pm

Good stuff gents!

I'll get stuck into that this weekend dhula. As far as I can tell, the 2010 bike has virtually the same mechanicals/electricals as the 2007.
No need for the TRE then. I don't need the gear indicator, I feel it's already started to dumb me down a bit! Doesn't seem so long ago that we called the green N light the 'idiot lamp'.

Thanks again for your input, it's very much appreciated.
Hava-good-weekend

TFi
Arrow full exhaust
Delkevic can
TRE set to 5th gear
Fork Brace
afro
geekay007
geekay007

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 22 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

5-shot wrote:I'm really struggling with those neat power charts you gave us. Are those faint lines in the background supposed to be torque curves? If so I'm missing something. Horsepower equals torque times rpm divided by 5252. That being the case, at 5252 rpm horsepower and torque should be equal and they are not on those charts. Do you guys use a different system from us? Torque reported if pound-feet?

The faint line in the background is tork and is showing Nm not lb/ft (weird how they combine metric and imperial but us humans are a strange beast, we still stick with the good old HP for engines yet motors seam to be moving quite rapidly to Kw).
One thing to keep in mind is that the formula is more for an engine running on a engine dyno, not a vehicle running on a chassis dyno.
Chassis dyno's do have a distinct disadvantage as they have to deal with the multiplication caused by the driveline when it comes to tork and this can make it seam that things don't line up properly no matter the smoothing, correction etc

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  5-shot Sat 23 Apr 2011, 3:35 am

Thanks DHULA,

It works perfectly now.

Ed

5-shot

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 23 Apr 2011, 7:38 am

I'll stick to polishing nut ! Very Happy